NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 9th, 2017, 10:26
NAXJA Forum User

Additional Questions on Drum to Disc Conversion

Alright hive mind,
I am in need of some opinions and addition learnin, on the topic of drum to disc conversion for my XJ D44. In doing my research I have determined that using the backing plates from a ford explorer with a ford 8.8 rear axle will be the way I want to go. Pretty much like this thread here:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=967146

Just got a few additional questions:
- What are the ways to attach the soft lines from the caliper to the hard lines on the axle?
- Should I get the calipers from the JY when I get the backing plates or purchase new ones?
- Will 15 wheels fit on this set up?
- I just had all the bearing and seals replaced on my rear axle only about 1500 miles ago. Should I get the Terraflex spacer and new bearings or get the TJ bracket and cut it out so I will not have to remove and press on new bearings.
Thanks in advance for your input!

Jason
Old November 9th, 2017, 10:34
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Additional Questions on Drum to Disc Conversion

I used standard flex lines and my original hard lines. New calipers are cheap so it's not worth trying jy ones. 15" wheels might fit depending on the backspacing. I wouldn't cut the retainers, just press on with new collars.
Old November 9th, 2017, 10:37
SouthEast #4328 (RVA)

1. Hardlines should screw right into the soft lines for the calipers. You will have to find a way to mount the softline and then bend the hardline to the connection. (I can post photos of how I did mine when I get home)
2. You could get JY calipers and then use them as cores for new ones. Either way works, whatever you wallet prefers.
3. Yes 15" wheel will work, I run them. 3.75" BS
4. I used the XJ 44 retainer with spacer as mentioned in the thread you linked. I was building my axle new, so I had to cut mine off anyways.

RVA
Old November 9th, 2017, 17:07
NAXJA Member

I drilled a couple of holes into the perches, one for the bolt another for a positioning tab. I could probably use front braided lines for this setup and go over the leaf, will try it next time.

TJ axles and brakes so can't directly address your other questions