NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old October 2nd, 2017, 16:12
NAXJA Forum User

2005 liberty trans service

Are there any benefits of putting say half a quart to a quart of gear oil your automatic transmission after servicing it. Shift better and all that? No bs answers and if u have no idea please don't comment cuz I don't care for your "opinions" just looking for actual knowledge. I know some guys do it in race trucks so I thought I'd put it out there.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 17:20
NAXJA Member #920

Re: 2005 liberty trans service

Racing vehicles tend to focus on short-term improvements rather than long-term durability

I'm not a chemist, but mixing gear oil and ATF does not sound like a good idea to me. I'd be worried about a chemical incompatibility between the two fluids causing either sludging or starvation (the ATF "floating" on the gear oil and starving something in the valve body might be one possibility).

Are you having a problem with your transmission that you're hoping this might help with, or are we more in "academic curiosity" territory?
Old October 2nd, 2017, 18:00
NAXJA Forum User

Ive put additives to the fluid and seen some small improvement. But this was designed to mix with the fluid.

If youíve got a KJ with a problem transmission which is not uncommon your probably looking at a rebuild.
The KJ guys will drop the pan, new filter and approved fluid which is already synthetic. ATF+4 I believe, same as our commander.
Doing this might recover the shifting but itís not too hopeful if Iím honest. By the time trouble shooting starts itís usually already failing .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 2nd, 2017, 20:46
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsjeepxj View Post
I know some guys do it in race trucks so I thought I'd put it out there.
Got a reference for that? While it might help raise the viscosity in a trans that running hot due to racing, I would think the EP additives in gear oil would cause slipping.

Chrysler made trannies have historically been somewhat picky about their fluids. For example, lots of them were destroyed by shops who didn't know to use the new ATF 4+ fluid and put in Dexron which ultimately caused slipping and clutch damage.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 07:57
Freakish Hand Strength

With any transmission, if you are using the factory specified fluid, and the fluid is not burnt or contaminated/dirty, there is no reason to add anything to the fresh fluid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Blanket caught in the rear liftgate latch. Now I can't open.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 09:48
NAXJA Forum User

Hell the ATF +4 all the newer KJ, KK, XK, WK, JK and other Chrysler products use can look purple and still be fine. Itís a synthetic 100,000 mile fluid, it can take a ton of abuse look like hell and still be doing its job.

in the mid 2000ís the automobile industry had the bright idea of no ďMaintenance transmission fluidĒ, so went full synthetic, removing drain plugs from oil pans and dipsticks from some models. I have a Ford and jeep they removed drain plugs from the transmission to discourage DIY jobs,

The KJ have trouble with their automatic transmissions (same as many other vehicles), it kind of a shock for someone whoís jeep experience was XJ to find newer jeeps with Achilles heels the XJ didnít have with AW4 and the 4.0.

If the OPs KJ is actually shifting ok best to leave it alone. If itís got trouble the maintenance described before can help but itís probably already too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk