NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 24th, 2017, 12:01
NAXJA Member

Re: 01 XJ Questions for starting to modify

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonAltair View Post
Also i'm not sure how much of a concern this is but i've seen a smoke like substance coming out of the very top vent here b4

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
1) Please resize your pics to a much smaller version before you post them

2) The smoke is likely moisture from the heat & A/C system, as sometimes, the A/C & heater cores can have residual moisture on them when you start the fan up.

Keep an eye on it tho, as I did have a vehicle burn up due to a leaf that got up against an open element resistor in the ventilation system.
Old September 25th, 2017, 11:03
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRCM View Post
1) Please resize your pics to a much smaller version before you post them

2) The smoke is likely moisture from the heat & A/C system, as sometimes, the A/C & heater cores can have residual moisture on them when you start the fan up.

Keep an eye on it tho, as I did have a vehicle burn up due to a leaf that got up against an open element resistor in the ventilation system.
Sorry about the pictures. I wasn't aware of their sizing since they were all straight from phone's camera and i nevrr messed with the camera settings. I will make sure to change that b4 next i post like that. Thank you for informing me.

Old September 25th, 2017, 11:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
I got the impression that you are new to four wheeling from your original post. If not disregard this recommendation.

If new then I recommend skipping the traction devices; lockers and limited slips. Instead install sway bar disconnects and learn to drive with open diffs. A rig on 31" tires and open differentials can go most places a rig with lockers can IF the person behind the wheel has taken the time to learn to drive.

Like others have said, read, read and then read some more. I spent the better part of 18 months researching and planning before I mad a single change to my stock XJ. Looking back I have to say that I should have put disconnects on the sway bar much sooner.

EDIT: Rocker protection, skid plates, and recovery points (front and rear) should be first on your list.
I am incredibly new. Currently this Jeep is my only vehicle but i'm looking for another so i can start taking apart and rebuilding it. I picked it up for 400 so any amount of money I throw at it will cost more than I paid for it so I figure i'll just start from the ground up and make it something i can have fun with and just go. Budget is kind of an issue for me atm but in all honestly i'll spend 5 years with it on stands and working on it until I can take it out if I need to.

Old September 25th, 2017, 14:28
NAXJA Member #920

Bent's got it right - get rocker protection, some skidplates, and recovery points (I'll add swaybar disconnects here, it makes a huge difference off-road, and a full-size spare tire if you don't already have one), and go learn what you and the truck can do before committing to any major mods. (hint: probably a lot more than you think!).

Since you've never done this before, I'd start checking into local Jeep clubs and/or offroad parks to find something called a "Jeep 101" event you can go to - this is an event where experienced 'wheelers will show folks new to the activity some of the ins and outs of how to handle a vehicle off-road, things to do and not to do, and the sorts of things you should carry in the truck when off-road.

I got my start at such an event, and it was well worth it - I learned a lot about what my Jeep could do (bone stock, on street tires), and what I was capable of handling in terms of comfort level.

Other than adding skids, recovery points, and getting a full-size spare at the start, I only upgraded as things wore out and I needed to replace them, so I took a long, slow path from bone-stock to where I am now (and I'm still not that hardcore). Doing that gave me time to learn at each step the nuances of my Jeep, how it reacted to terrain, what sounds it makes, etc., and to up my driving skills (particularly to keep up with the bigger guys; though they did go easier when leading me around, they did challenge me).

Having a well-equipped vehicle is only a part of off-roading - understanding that vehicle's mannerisms, quirks, and limitations will allow you to get the most out of it, however it's configured.

Last edited by Rob Mayercik; September 25th, 2017 at 14:38.
Old September 26th, 2017, 07:49
NAXJA Forum User

You've received some good advice so far. A Cherokee with a small lift and 31 inch tires is very capable with a good driver even with open diffs. I have sets of both 33 inch and 31 inch tires and honestly, for multipurpose street and trail use, I prefer the 31's. Lift your rig as minimally as possible for your intended tire size. Adjusting bumpstops and trimming is key to minimally lifting. When regearing, err on the side of having gears that are too low (numerically high) rather than too high. Be skeptical of "must have upgrades".
Old September 27th, 2017, 09:09
NAXJA Member 4950

With a $400 rig i say start with a good set of 235's for now and put your money into maintenance stuff and replacing worn parts for now. Do some light trails and learn to drive it off road first.
Old September 27th, 2017, 09:21
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green XJ Jeep View Post
With a $400 rig i say start with a good set of 235's for now and put your money into maintenance stuff and replacing worn parts for now. Do some light trails and learn to drive it off road first.
Yeah. I definitely need to do replacing and fixing. I really need to fix my radiator. I don't think it's broken but driver side it's leaking orange shit all over driver side of the compartment and all over axle is and everything. I'm guessing it's been doing it for a while (since b4 i bought it) because everything on that side is gunked to all hell. I just don't have the money to rip apart the front end and fix/replace all i might find. I already know I need a new front axle. And most everything on it is from factory so there is a lot I'm looking to replace.

Also not sure if this is a wiring issue but I've noticed that if i leave headlights or the interior headlamps on while the car is off it'll kill the battery in minutes. I've gotten it to start every time but the guage is down to 9.5v-10v when it drains. Battery+alternator tested good and as soon as it starts jumps up to 14v and stays and battery status charged at 12v after running. Aa long as no power is being used the battery stays charged of course but the drain seems oddly large.

Old September 27th, 2017, 13:33
NAXJA Member 4950

Stock headlights use alot of juice just make sure they are turned off.
There is alot you can do before you get into lifts but if your are restricted by a budget look into bastard packs
Old September 27th, 2017, 14:38
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green XJ Jeep View Post
Stock headlights use alot of juice just make sure they are turned off.
There is alot you can do before you get into lifts but if your are restricted by a budget look into bastard packs
I'm not too concerned about lift right now. If anything i'll look to trim and remodel the fenders before i look to lift the thing. Honestly i'll probably do modifications to run it at stock height b4 i go and lift and bigger tires.

Old September 28th, 2017, 15:17
NAXJA Member #920

How old is the battery?
Old September 29th, 2017, 10:46
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mayercik View Post
How old is the battery?
I'm not sure but it tested good as did the alternator. I couldn't find a sticker on the battery for a date though.

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk
Old September 29th, 2017, 12:16
NAXJA Member #920

A fully charged battery should be closer to 13-13.5V at rest. Should not drop much below 11.5-12V when cranking. You should be able to run the headlights for a couple hours at least before a good battery would be too low to crank; dropping from 12V to 9.5-10V after "a few minutes" with the headlights on does not sound like a good battery to me.

It's probably time to take that battery to a parts store and have them put a proper load-test on it.

Last edited by Rob Mayercik; September 29th, 2017 at 12:20.
Old September 29th, 2017, 13:23
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mayercik View Post
A fully charged battery should be closer to 13-13.5V at rest. Should not drop much below 11.5-12V when cranking. You should be able to run the headlights for a couple hours at least before a good battery would be too low to crank; dropping from 12V to 9.5-10V after "a few minutes" with the headlights on does not sound like a good battery to me.

It's probably time to take that battery to a parts store and have them put a proper load-test on it.
Yeah. I left the headlights on once and went inside to pay for gas and when i went to start it it had trouble cranking. ~10-15 minutes of paying/gas going into it.

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk