NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old September 7th, 2017, 16:49
NAXJA Forum User

Neutral safety switch, replace or clean

My NSS has been acting up. It's starts in Neutral but not always in park. So my question is can this be cleaned as videos show, or is that a poor bandaid fix?

Will the switch ever go out to the point where the car can't be started in Neutral or park, or be able to jump the starter.

99 auto
Old September 7th, 2017, 16:58
Sarge <3 Ben

Re: Neutral safety switch, replace or clean

Yes, rebuild it like the videos show. It's not a bandaid, will be as good as new.

Yes, it will fail completely sooner or later.

No, it will never prevent you from jumping it directly at the starter.
88 MJ on 40's. 98 XJ on 35's. 98 Dodge, 52psi of boost. 94 Miata LS4. 70 Buick GS455. 01 Harley, been to 46 states. 05 KTM, 576cc. 06 Husky, girls need bikes too. 2011 R6, girls need sport bikes too. 99 Toyota Avalon, daily. 97 Miata, girls apparently need miatas too.
And everything fits in the garage!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mako my day View Post
Johnx is #1
Old September 7th, 2017, 17:50
NAXJA Member

Mine does the same thing. I've wired in a switch on my dash for when it fails to start with the ignition switch.
Old September 7th, 2017, 18:16
NAXJA Member

If you haven't adjusted it, or the shift linkage lately, try that. If that's a no go. Take it off and clean it. It's probably gunked up from the factory grease. Be careful taking it off. Don't wank on it, slow pull/pry and wiggling with plenty of PB or similar.

I pulled one off an XJ at the junkyard, cleaned it really good, greased it up and when I was done I just swapped them. As I was taking my old one off, the plastic part fell apart on me.

Once you have it out and open be real careful of the spring loaded terminals on the arm. They tend to pop out and get lost. Just sayin'.

Edit: Make sure the connectors match if you go the JY route

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jeep+cherokee+nss+cleaning&view=detail&mi d=E9C3B785D40F4370175BE9C3B785D40F4370175B&FORM=VI RE

Last edited by ParadiseXJ; September 7th, 2017 at 18:23.
Old September 8th, 2017, 00:05
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawagoneer View Post
Mine does the same thing. I've wired in a switch on my dash for when it fails to start with the ignition switch.
that sounds cool, do you have a write up by chance?
Old September 8th, 2017, 00:09
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnX View Post
Yes, rebuild it like the videos show. It's not a bandaid, will be as good as new.

Yes, it will fail completely sooner or later.

No, it will never prevent you from jumping it directly at the starter.
I suppose the videos show them being cleaned, can new spring loaded pieces be bought?
Old September 8th, 2017, 00:12
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseXJ View Post
If you haven't adjusted it, or the shift linkage lately, try that. If that's a no go. Take it off and clean it. It's probably gunked up from the factory grease. Be careful taking it off. Don't wank on it, slow pull/pry and wiggling with plenty of PB or similar.

I pulled one off an XJ at the junkyard, cleaned it really good, greased it up and when I was done I just swapped them. As I was taking my old one off, the plastic part fell apart on me.

Once you have it out and open be real careful of the spring loaded terminals on the arm. They tend to pop out and get lost. Just sayin'.

Edit: Make sure the connectors match if you go the JY route

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jeep+cherokee+nss+cleaning&view=detail&mi d=E9C3B785D40F4370175BE9C3B785D40F4370175B&FORM=VI RE
no i havent adjusted any linkages, ill look up trying this option. i need to pull it off and open it up so i can see whats going on.
how do you adjust the NSS?
Old September 8th, 2017, 07:05
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
I suppose the videos show them being cleaned, can new spring loaded pieces be bought?
Stretch them a teeny bit.
Old September 8th, 2017, 12:46
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
no i havent adjusted any linkages, ill look up trying this option. i need to pull it off and open it up so i can see whats going on.
how do you adjust the NSS?

With ignition on, put the shifter in reverse (parking brake on please). I set something behind the vehicle like some cardboard or your spouse or offspring to help tell when the backup lights are on. Rotate the NSS back and forth and set it in the center of the range where the lights are on.

The video posted above is really good. If the springs seem weak, stretch then a tiny hair. A flat surface and fine sandpaper work well to clean up the contacts. I had one that I needed to build up the plastic with a touch of epoxy where the burnt contact had melted some of the plastic (not JB weld as it's a bit conductive).

Last edited by lawsoncl; September 8th, 2017 at 12:53.