NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old April 27th, 2012, 20:44
NAXJA Member #1310

Re: How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallacist View Post
How does it turn off? Are you still using the elk?
The timer shuts the added fan relay off, at the preset amount of time.
My ELK is still working fine after 3+ years
2001 Sport, 4 " lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, DB, R.E.-UCA, JKS-LCA, ACOS, SYE, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac-D-30-E-Locker both with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco/Sport-Trac front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, Towing baseplate
Old April 28th, 2012, 01:03
NAXJA Forum User

This is something I need to tackle. Its just that electrical stuff irritates me. I've wired an efan into my old chevy pick up before, but this seems to have some added complications.

To make things easier I'm probably going to grab one of those fuse blocks from blue sea (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs... assNum=50554)

Otherwise this is pretty simple? I run a switch/button, a relay, and program the elk? Do I still need diodes if I'm using that fuse block?

Might as well replacing the wiring on my battery while I'm at it.
Old April 28th, 2012, 09:22
NAXJA Member #1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallacist View Post
Do I still need diodes if I'm using that fuse block?
My fan needed the diodes to keep the relay from back-feeling the XJ's electrical when the ignition is turned off.
2001 Sport, 4 " lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, DB, R.E.-UCA, JKS-LCA, ACOS, SYE, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac-D-30-E-Locker both with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco/Sport-Trac front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
Old September 12th, 2013, 17:51
NAXJA Forum User

VERY happy to report in my first go I got this all set up and working! I couldn't have done it without this thread and others. I went with the "plan c" wiring that is circling around a bunch of XJ forums. Its the 2 relay setup that switches the timer/fan on when you turn off the vehicle. I followed the diagram exactly as provided. So mega thanks to its original author (I think he is on CherokeeTalk?).

I've got one relay up in my engine bay with another relay I already had from my aux. lights. The second relay and timer are behind the glove box. It took me about 7 hrs start to finish but I am admittedly slow and not the best at wiring! Once it worked and I had to fine tune the timer, that took only about 15 minutes. I used the trick I read in here about setting it to 3 seconds, then switching the jumper. I settled on 2:30, guess I gotta wait till next summer to see if this solves my heat soak misfire!!

Anyways I am just all jacked up because I was dreading trouble shooting my expected problems. Thanks all!
Old May 25th, 2014, 17:11
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Re: How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhound-NC View Post
VERY happy to report in my first go I got this all set up and working!
Wanted to report back that over the winter this mod got pretty annoying. I also realized doing any electrical work on the Jeep was quite a pain with the fan coming on every time I hit the key to test something or reconnected the bat-tree.

So today I installed a toggle switch just left of the radio, in the dash panel. I now turn my e-fan timer to "active" or "inactive." Works great.

Good luck to all getting ready to deal with heat soak as the temps warm up!!
Old May 25th, 2014, 17:28
NAXJA Forum User

I've had this mod on my xj for 5-6 years now (has it been that long? DAMN!) and I can say it still does it's job but is annoying at times. Every now and then it would turn the fan on when I shut the passenger door and sometimes when I start up the jeep. Weird. I bet it's just a loose wire or something but it's doing it's job. No misfire to date.
Old May 26th, 2014, 11:29
NAXJA Member #1310

Just an update. The ELK has been working for over five years without fail. I still use a button to activate since it is only needed on very hot days.
Auto operation would be nice but I don't want it running every time the engine is turned off, even in the summer, since the hot soak issues only come up when the Jeep has been driven a good distance and then shut off for a few minutes, then restarted. .
Thermostatic control would be my choice if re-designing this.

While insulating the injectors and fuel rail had next to no effect, adding hood vents and insulation the bottom of the intake manifold has reduced the incidence of hot soak problems. The insulated manifold keep the intake air temps down too, helping to produce a little more power, a double benefit.
The 1997 XJ doesn't suffer the hot soak problem the 2001 does (no mini cats). It is equipped with an insulated late-model intake manifold and aftermarket headers.

Looks like we have a another HOT summer to deal with, a good time to test the latest methods.
Old December 27th, 2014, 21:03
NAXJA Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyxj View Post
Just an update. The ELK has been working for over five years without fail. I still use a button to activate since it is only needed on very hot days.
Auto operation would be nice but I don't want it running every time the engine is turned off, even in the summer, since the hot soak issues only come up when the Jeep has been driven a good distance and then shut off for a few minutes, then restarted. .
Thermostatic control would be my choice if re-designing this.

While insulating the injectors and fuel rail had next to no effect, adding hood vents and insulation the bottom of the intake manifold has reduced the incidence of hot soak problems. The insulated manifold keep the intake air temps down too, helping to produce a little more power, a double benefit.
The 1997 XJ doesn't suffer the hot soak problem the 2001 does (no mini cats). It is equipped with an insulated late-model intake manifold and aftermarket headers.

Looks like we have a another HOT summer to deal with, a good time to test the latest methods.
Thanks for the update.

Bought an 01 back in October, and had the problem almost immediately upon getting it to TX. I did the TSB fix, which I thought worked, and then the heat soak popped up again this last week- on a 70 degree day after sitting in traffic on my way home from work.

Needless to say I'd like to get a fix going before summer rolls around.

Thinking the combination of this on a momentary switch, plus the vents and maybe replacing the injectors.

01 XJ Sport 2 door 5spd/4WD- 4" lift, 35" BFG ATs, JCR bumpers, Rubi 44, Ford 8.8, 4.56's, ARBs
Old August 25th, 2017, 20:04
NAXJA Forum User

Any luck you guys can re-post the wiring diagrams? Photobucket has changed their way of hosting pics. I can't see them now. Greatly appreciated if you can.

I have a '99 with a switch to relay to activate the aux fan wired to the PDC as to not get a CEL. I want to add the ELK-960 into the wiring.