NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old December 9th, 2015, 15:36
NAXJA# 2091

Re: Hardest Fix On Your XJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_man View Post
Mine was fixing the nut behind the wheel.
LOL, that is just NUTS!!!

"But I spent two hours each on a blower motor and a stuck oil filter."

Reminds me of 3 hours my son and I spend trying to remove a rusted battery tray bolt one day on Ford Taurus, LOL. Great father son bonding event LOL
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old December 9th, 2015, 22:34
NAXJA Forum User

My hardest fixes where the ones my son helped me with. He is actually a pretty good mechanic, but he has no patience. Instead of taking the time to take it apart in one piece, he uses his muscles instead of his brain, pretty much destroys everything and spends hours trying to fix it.

I'd rather spend an hour trying to loosen a stuck brake line than destroy it, then have to drive all over town trying to find the parts to fix it.

I'd have to say passengers side motor mount, bolts broken off in the block. It all worked out eventually, but was a for real ballbuster. We actually got the broken bolts out without screwing the threads up. I really thought for awhile we were going to have to pull the motor. I may never have to use the close quarter angle drill my son bought ever again, but it was worth every penny of the price. He paid, he was the one who bounced the XJ of the curb and broke the mount.

My bad back sang to me for weeks after that one.

Last edited by 8Mud; December 9th, 2015 at 23:09.
Old December 10th, 2015, 02:27
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPB View Post
trouble shooting a renix that was running really rough and going through ungoddly amounts of fuel ($30 in two days of idling in the driveway trouble shooting) replaced every sensor all injectors, a cheap tune up, then a top dollar tune up, fuel pressure regulator, eliminated all but three vacuum lines, rebuilt the under hood wiring harness and replaced all crimps with solder, compression tested good, replaced motor anyways, that included new motor mounts, clutch and slave, also new exhaust and cat.

what fixed the problem? a $30 used ecu.
i suspect this will be my solution too.. been through all that already..
Old December 10th, 2015, 13:50
NAXJA Forum User

Head gasket.
Old December 10th, 2015, 14:35
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselSJ View Post
Installing the body lift. Drilling all those spot welds on the uni-rails...
THIS. LOL.

On a related note, the spotweld cutter that HF sells *does* work fairly well considering it is cheap chinese junk.
Old December 10th, 2015, 14:50
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

eliminating dash rattles.

Then again a good stereo seems to fix that.
www.BoostwerksEngineering.com
Old January 12th, 2016, 09:41
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
You can put some of the lower bolts on and the nuts for the two studs to hold the exhaust manifold in place, then install the intake and the rest of the bolts.
I had a broken stud and did not completely remove the intake.

Let's hope I'll be long dead before doing this fix again.
Old August 6th, 2017, 20:02
NAXJA# 2091

Removing a bloody oil filter this weekend.

Check out my post, a nightmare on JeepStreet, LOL, or how to remove an oil filter with a 3/4" drive and 3 foot breaker bar, in 3 minutes, when nothing else works, LOL. Photos included. I have never, ever in 45 years had to do anything this wild to remove an oil filter. I'd rather torque head bolts with a 12" torque wrench to 120 ft lbs all day long, than do that 3 minute ball-buster again, LOL.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...#post246516553
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old August 6th, 2017, 20:33
Only Slightly Psychotic

Ripped a LCA bracket out of the frame on my XJ. It was pretty easy to diagnose; even in the dark on the trail. Fixing it turned into a long and drawn out process. Sure hope it works.
'87 MJ 4.0 AW4 231 D-44 Stock-ish
SoCal Chapter VP

Last edited by Bent; August 6th, 2017 at 20:40.
Old August 6th, 2017, 21:05
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecomike View Post
Removing a bloody oil filter this weekend.

Check out my post, a nightmare on JeepStreet, LOL, or how to remove an oil filter with a 3/4" drive and 3 foot breaker bar, in 3 minutes, when nothing else works, LOL. Photos included. I have never, ever in 45 years had to do anything this wild to remove an oil filter. I'd rather torque head bolts with a 12" torque wrench to 120 ft lbs all day long, than do that 3 minute ball-buster again, LOL.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...#post246516553
I hear you...had Generac generator oil filter removal minor drama this weekend...and BTW, XJ's are even harder to jack up than other vehicles, so no surprise on the oil filter being a PITA.
Old August 7th, 2017, 07:12
NAXJA Forum User

honestly i cant quite decide what was the hardest fix on my xj. aside from getting me to fix my xj. i would have to say mounting the "new" power steering gear while having fluid dripping on you in the rain dealing with messed up threads on the bolts.