NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old April 16th, 2012, 15:24
NAXJA Forum User

Smile Re: Converting stock 2wd to stock 4wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
same year or close is best. 91-95 should be either bolt in or damn close to it.

I believe I have posted the parts list several times in this thread, not sure.
hahah cool im going to start my hunting this weekend for parts.
i hant seen a detailed list on parts. i would like to see it so when i go i know exactly what im looking for

thanks for the help all this is new for me.
Old April 16th, 2012, 15:35
NAXJA Forum User

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos
Re: Converting stock 2wd to stock 4wd

here ya go -
front axle from a 91-99 (95 or so and later are preferable in this case, make sure it has same gear ratio as your rearend)
front driveshaft from an 87-01 with the same engine and transmission as yours
shifter linkage and all nuts and bolts for it plus the console bezel
transmission and transfer case from a 91-95 (auto or manual? I am assuming auto here)
rear driveshaft from a 91-95 4x4 with the same engine, transmission, and rearend as yours

there are some other things you will need to do to make the 4wd indicator lamps on the dash work, I didn't bother.
Old April 16th, 2012, 15:50
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
here ya go -
front axle from a 91-99 (95 or so and later are preferable in this case, make sure it has same gear ratio as your rearend)
front driveshaft from an 87-01 with the same engine and transmission as yours
shifter linkage and all nuts and bolts for it plus the console bezel
transmission and transfer case from a 91-95 (auto or manual? I am assuming auto here)
rear driveshaft from a 91-95 4x4 with the same engine, transmission, and rearend as yours

there are some other things you will need to do to make the 4wd indicator lamps on the dash work, I didn't bother.

ok thanks
yeah as far as the in dash lights thats the least ofmy concerns. so i got the list now as for labor whats the estimated time once i have everything i need
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:13
NAXJA Forum User

Could be worse =)

Old April 19th, 2012, 19:27
NAXJA Forum User

Thumbs down Re: Converting stock 2wd to stock 4wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraiwe View Post
Could be worse =)

OMFG !!!!!!!!!!
Old April 19th, 2012, 20:52
NAXJA Forum User

kinda like this
Old April 20th, 2012, 10:27
NAXJA Forum User

It's all about the torque...
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:45
NAXJA Forum User

@kastein

HAH! Good news have I got, indeed. Turns out I met a long-lost buddy, who used to operate with my unit, within a detachment of very interesting people (ahem). He has his own shop, and nearly had a fit when I mentioned I didn't have a place to do my XJ conversion. Need to finish a project so the shop has room for the XJ. What project, did you ask? Well...

Last weekend helped him to finish his modded vehicle. Body and chassis of a honest-to-god, soft-top, '77 Toyota FJ40 ( a/k/a Land Cruiser, a/k/a Bandeirantes, a/k/a Macho ), which had already 1.5ton axles modified with GM 2.5ton differentials, receiving a GM small-block V8 350 (in³). Mounts were soldered on, engine housing cut to fit. Engine itself was just factory block; everything else custom, from crankshaft to valves, with a nice, souped up GM transmission (auto) from a Heavy Duty Silverado/3500, fuel cell from an actual, mil-spec humvee (thus nearly bullet-proof, and self-sealing, don't ask how he got it). Estimated HP/Torque sits at just about 375bhp/550lb-ft (no dynamo test done, YET). Nice 7ton winch. Ground clearance, about 4ft+ It took ME a little reaching and swinging to get inside the cab. All done in beige for the body, black powder for chassis and roll cage, fire-engine-red engine block, chrome for every single engine fitting and extras, flat brushed steel skid plates, braided steel lines aaaaall over, jet-black rims. I think the reduced-gear starter alone has more hp than a SmartCar or Prius

Trail-head pr0n, that's what that is.

Caught the thing halfway done, so I missed the sparks of metal works, but had the chance to get grease-on-hands on engine and whatnot. It's running, now needs to be finished, i.e. have the shafts connected, fluid lines tested and body painted to the final coat. Can hardly wait for that to be painted and out of the slot, so I can start my XJ. In the mean time, I've been sold on the 2-3" lift. :giggles: >=)
Old June 1st, 2012, 18:18
NAXJA Forum User

Rubicon Express 3.5" lift kit + track bar + steel braid break lines + all shocks. All for well under the MSRP, too.

Old August 5th, 2017, 09:24
NAXJA Forum User

A few YEARS late, but brief report...

Lift was finished couple weeks after last post. Since then, have done a bit to it, but the lift itself hasn't changed. Pic above is a couple months ago, installing a matching rear bumper to the aftermarket front one, a Smittybilt XRC, with loop.

Said friend - who owned shop where lift was done - and I crafted a home-brew NICE rear bumper, 3/8" steel, with a swing gate, basket and jerry can + jack storage. It was barebones, initially, and we had a lot planned to do to it, including low rear quarter panels, and a "skin" to make it pretty. Unfortunately, said friend has signed out off the net, leaving me and others with fewer peeps. So, I lost heart to continue the project, and just slapped an aftermarket.

Anyways. D-U-N, and reported. Threads are a conservative, but cool and solid MTZ Baja 31". They do the trick.