NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old July 9th, 2017, 20:50
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about the AW4

Ecomike, you replied while I was typing.

My TCU has a pinout for TPS input. I planned on supplying a ground and 5VDC to TPS, then taking the sense off the TPSto TCU. Does that not work it out?
Old July 9th, 2017, 21:01
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkask View Post
The NSS is neautral safety switch, right? I'll be deleting that. I do have the connection to the shift indicator, though. It's important to me to be able to start in gear. I also have the brake input to TCU for what I assume is torque converter unlock?

So I need to figure out the throttle valve cable to the carb linkage, and a TPS.

Until the TPS gets sorted out I can go full auto, but need the throttle valve cable for even full manual?

Okay. Need a trip to junkyard!
The NSS and range position sensor are the same unit, generally called the NSS. The trans computer uses the input from this to determine what position the shifter is in and that's the switch for the backup lights too, so don't eliminate it. You can skip hooking up the wires for starter interlock though. Yes the brake light switch is used to unlock the torque converter.

Quote:
My TCU has a pinout for TPS input. I planned on supplying a ground and 5VDC to TPS, then taking the sense off the TPS to TCU. Does that not work it out?
Yes that works just fine. The TPS normally gets the +5v and ground from the engine computer, and you can tie into any of the other sensor wiring that has a +5v and ground signal. Connect that sensor ground to sensor ground on the TPS as well.

PM me if you need a copy of the portion of the FSM that shows the stock 99 trans computer wiring.
Old July 9th, 2017, 21:10
NAXJA Forum User

Actually, I opened up the TCU and tapped off the 12v, put in a 5v regulator circuit, and then ran it to an unused pin, so there is now a 5v for the TPS in my TCU. I'm using the TCU case as mounting and heat sink for the regulator.

My NSS is definitely wired into my harness. I have just deleted the starter disable.

So I just need throttle valve cable and TPS now. Thanks.

And I didn't mean to clutter this thread up. Sorry. Also, I'll PM you if any more issues. Thanks.
Old July 9th, 2017, 22:49
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Actually, I opened up the TCU and tapped off the 12v, put in a 5v regulator circuit, and then ran it to an unused pin, so there is now a 5v for the TPS in my TCU. I'm using the TCU case as mounting and heat sink for the regulator.
That works too :}. A LM7805 would have been pretty simply to shove in there.
Old July 10th, 2017, 09:34
NAXJA Forum User

Okay. Sorry, but one more odd but specific question;

On the throttle where the throttle valve cable connects there is the arm that moves opposite the throttle pedal cable. I need to make a piece to adapt for that. Could someone tell me the length of that, from the pivot point to the center of the cable connector? I just need to know the radius on that so I have the correct throw. Thanks.
Old July 10th, 2017, 11:09
NAXJA# 2091

I will take your word for it then, since you know this stuff so well, and I know you do, but I heard the other version somewhere ages ago, FWIW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsoncl View Post
Yes, Renix erea used a dual output TPS (with the voltages running opposite each other). Later years it was a single output on the TPS. If you look at the wiring diagram the output from the single output TPS and the wiring from the trans computer go to the same pins on the engine computer connector. The trans computer is seeing the same input as the engine computer. The engine computer isn't doing anything to the TPS signal going to the trans computer.
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old July 10th, 2017, 21:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Okay. Sorry, but one more odd but specific question;

On the throttle where the throttle valve cable connects there is the arm that moves opposite the throttle pedal cable. I need to make a piece to adapt for that. Could someone tell me the length of that, from the pivot point to the center of the cable connector? I just need to know the radius on that so I have the correct throw. Thanks.

Looking at my 89, the radius of the arm is 1-1/8". Total pull on the cable from closed to wot is 1-1/4". In the closed position the arm is perpendicular to the cable. That's a 98 aw4 and a 89 throttle body.
Old July 22nd, 2017, 05:55
NAXJA Forum User

Well, none of it is going right. And I know a LOT more people see this thread, so if you have any solid knowledge on the operation of the aW4 please chime in here:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...#post246510517
Old July 22nd, 2017, 13:17
NAXJA# 2091

I know better than to even think of trying what you are doing. But I wish you luck, you may be the new expert here on that project.

Quote:
Well, none of it is going right. And I know a LOT more people see this thread, so if you have any solid knowledge on the operation of the aW4 please chime in here:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...#post246510517
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091