NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old April 21st, 2017, 10:59
NAXJA Member

$300+ for replacement key?

Anyone know where I could get a spare key made for a 2000 XJ? Unfortunately it does have the security system. Dealer I think just doesn't want to be bothered with pricing like that.

I did call the "good" auto electric shop and they said they could do it for about $175 which is a lot better but still hurts.

I only got one key with the vehicle so self programming isn't an option.
Old April 21st, 2017, 12:58
NAXJA Member

Re: $300+ for replacement key?

I had one made at Ace hardware. $75. They​ program the key to the same code as your other.
Old April 21st, 2017, 17:59
How 'bout it Gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippled View Post
I had one made at Ace hardware. $75. They​ program the key to the same code as your other.
Your best bet. Somewhere around $30 locally.
R.I.P."Buster" 86 laredo 2.8 ax5 10/85-9/17
In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele 1975-2008
Old April 22nd, 2017, 12:23
NAXJA Forum User

The key clone is interesting, it will get you two keys but unless you pay a locksmith or dealer you will not have two unique keys to program your own later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 23rd, 2017, 11:47
Piece of Fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Mesa XJ View Post
The key clone is interesting, it will get you two keys but unless you pay a locksmith or dealer you will not have two unique keys to program your own later.

This is interesting, it works for Fords.
blistovmhz: Goddamn Canada. We're all rapists. Don't come here.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 12:12
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie Walker View Post
This is interesting, it works for Fords.

I don't know about the XJ but our f150 and Commander if you have two unique keys, you can program new keys to the computer.

I paid I think $130-150 to the ford dealer to reprogram the computer for the keys, with ford they erase the stored key data then program in the old key and new key. It's not a simple adding a new key, all the old data is purged. That's why a locksmith with special computers or dealer is necessary. At least this is how I understand it. I'm not sure I think jeep is very similar. Luckily we got both keys with our commander.

The clone key is simple way to get another working key.

Old April 23rd, 2017, 12:15
NAXJA Member

yeah, I would like to have two "properly" programmed keys so I have the ability to program a third in myself for insurance... unfortunately I only got one key and one remote with the vehicle. I did order an aftermarket remote but failed at programming that so I guess I'll have to pay for that too. I also got some cheap replacement cases and fortunately the rubber button piece fit right in the original case so while it's worn shiny at least I can see which button is which now. I guess I will just have to suck it up and get it done - apparently it will be about $175 all in from the local auto electric shop, whenever I can take a day off of work to get that done and also transfer some parts over from my old heep (stereo, speakers, cruise, unbent steering wheel, hitch, wiring, etc.)
Old April 23rd, 2017, 12:51
NAXJA# 2091

Gotta love old tech, I pay about $2 for keys and keep about 5-6 spares for kids as they eat them routinely for breakfast. And no one breaks into or steals 87 oem jeeps where I live. Hell we don't even lock them anymore LOL. Of course having large guns and dogs and crazy owners in Texas helps, LOL.
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old April 23rd, 2017, 13:16
NAXJA Member

LOL yeah I hear you, same thing with my '99... even this '00 the best anti-theft system is to park it next to a better looking vehicle, and let's be honest, it's not hard to find one...
Old April 23rd, 2017, 13:19
NAXJA# 2091

Indeed!!!!
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old April 23rd, 2017, 13:53
NAXJA Forum User

Hell as long as the ignition didn't go all the way to lock 2 of our xj don't need keys.

I thought the xj were now pretty safe from thieves until I read a thread here about someone who had their 91 ripped off and recovered partially striped.
I'd rather our newer vehicles be stolen at lest then insurance will somewhat cover the loss. Insurance doesn't care how much time, effort and parts are put in to keep the old jeeps on the road. Still kind of tempted to LoJack everything