NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old April 17th, 2017, 07:47
NAXJA Forum User

Shifter hard to put in park

87 XJ with AW4 and roughly 4" lift, no transmission spacer blocks.

When my XJ is shifted into park it does not lock into place unless a good bit of force is applied to give it that extra bit for the ignition locking tab to click in place.
My Sister in law now owns my jeep and the quirks I know how to deal with aren't something she is used to.

Since the key can be pulled in and out of the ignition at any point my SIL fails to realize the ignition switch is not fully shut off and thus the battery dies.

What needs to be adjusted so the shifter locks in park properly?
Old April 17th, 2017, 15:02
Piece of Fish!

Re: Shifter hard to put in park

More than likely shifter cable needs to be adjusted. On my 89 XJ. the cable adjustment is on the driver side trans tunnel.
IIRC, pull the cable out of the bracket (carefully, there are plastic clips that hold it in), pull the sleeve back and adjust cable.
Also make sure there are no kinks or damage to cable. You can google/youtube exactly how if necessary. If you have an fsm it should tell you as well.
blistovmhz: Goddamn Canada. We're all rapists. Don't come here.