NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old March 17th, 2017, 18:24
NAXJA Forum User

Re: need another new radiator

I love it when people post and fix there on PROBLEM.:yelcl ap:
Old March 17th, 2017, 19:24
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
where is the sticker located i dont remember seeing one on install ?
I think it's on the bottom of the radiator, but I'm not sure. I just took it out, found it, and took the photo.

Quote:
Nm they want me to call whoever I purchased the radiator from and submit a warranty claim. No idea where I got it years ago.
Don't give up. I got mine from Radiator Barn, which went out of business a few years later. I called CSF, told them that, and they processed the warranty. I would recommend calling back, explaining, and you could very well have better luck with a different customer service rep. If not, ask to speak to his supervisor. Tell them that you are posting the results of your call on the Internet ... don't take no for an answer! You bought and paid for it, you deserve your warranty service.
Old March 17th, 2017, 21:15
NAXJA Forum User

can stop leak damage a copper bronze radiator. I want this shop to right dumping stop leak in my cooling system. I slapped a napa spectra rad in her for now and planned on having a local shop see if they can fix the CSF. I dont know who i bought the CSF from and ive tried twice today to get CSF to warranty it.
Old March 17th, 2017, 21:17
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie View Post
I love it when people post and fix there on PROBLEM.:yelcl ap:
nothing fixed bob just finding its a bigger issue than a leaky rad.
Old March 18th, 2017, 11:09
NAXJA# 2091

No Stop leak will not damage the radiator or block or the heater core. I use the Bars Leaks Stop leak Pellets and have never had them damage anything.

I did R&D under a US DOE grant back in the 1990s and had a half day chat with a formulation chemist at Prestone and found out the auto companies have used these pellets in the radiators on all brand new cars since before WWII to ensure they do not leak before the warranty expires :-)

Race car drivers used cracked pepper in the old days.

What clogs radiators is slow head gasket leaks. The CO2 from the exhaust reacts with the sodium metasilicate in the antifreeze and lowers the pH of the antifreeze to a point where the silicate precipitates and forms a white concrete film on the inside tube walls, that blocks and insulates the tubes from conducting heat. That is why Antifreeze should be tested and drained and changed out every 3-4 years, or sooner if the head gasket is marginal.

Also using tap water instead of Distilled or DI-Deionized water for leak replacement or make up coolant puts calcium and magnesium from the tap water into the cooling system that precipitates as it reacts with the silicate forming concrete scale.

Check that the rubber isolation mounts for radiator are not missing. If they are missing they can cause vibration that causes mechanical damage leaks.

Quote:
can stop leak damage a copper bronze radiator. I want this shop to right dumping stop leak in my cooling system. I slapped a napa spectra rad in her for now and planned on having a local shop see if they can fix the CSF. I dont know who i bought the CSF from and ive tried twice today to get CSF to warranty it.
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old March 19th, 2017, 23:59
NAXJA Forum User

the mounts are intact and look to be in good condition. the crack is below the filler tube where the fins meet the top of the tank. is there any danger in power washing the crap out of the rad (get the gunk out), i hope to get it fixed by a local shop.
Old March 20th, 2017, 13:54
NAXJA# 2091

Quote:
the mounts are intact and look to be in good condition. the crack is below the filler tube where the fins meet the top of the tank. is there any danger in power washing the crap out of the rad (get the gunk out), i hope to get it fixed by a local shop.

Yes there is, you could do more damage. Let the local Rad shop do it, they normally do a complete end to end, proper job, and even paint them. They will also usually tell you why and how it failed!!!
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old March 21st, 2017, 21:10
NAXJA Member

Yup! Any radiator shop worth it's spit will do all of the above. Rod out, rebraze, paint. For around $75 here locally.
Old March 21st, 2017, 23:53
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecomike View Post
Yes there is, you could do more damage. Let the local Rad shop do it, they normally do a complete end to end, proper job, and even paint them. They will also usually tell you why and how it failed!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseXJ View Post
Yup! Any radiator shop worth it's spit will do all of the above. Rod out, rebraze, paint. For around $75 here locally.
that is great news, im eager to see if the rad is salvageable.