NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 10th, 2017, 12:51
NAXJA Forum User

1986 XJ 5speed Power Steering Issue?

Hey guys! I am new to the XJ community and just drove home my first 4x4 yesterday. Drives and runs great but the only thing I noticed is when im in neutral. Or have the clutch pushed in that I have almost no steering. It's as if there is no power steering. I also noticed it in reverse while feathering the clutch. I have no idea what could cause this. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Old March 10th, 2017, 12:57
NAXJA Member

Re: 1986 XJ 5speed Power Steering Issue?

If you rev it up some does the assist come back? If yes I'd suspect the pump
Old March 10th, 2017, 13:01
NAXJA Forum User

do you have power steering at all? or, more likely, do you just not notice that you dont have power steering when you are moving?

the likely hood that there is a connection between your clutch peddle and the steering is basically zero.
Old March 10th, 2017, 13:03
NAXJA Forum User

Power steering is there. So I assume it must be the pump. The more throttle I give the better control I have. Just makes off road or backing in almost impossible. Just wanted an opinion before I tore the pump out and replaced it
Old March 11th, 2017, 09:01
NAXJA Forum User

Update. Power steering pump is all brand new. The steering issue only occurs when I'm not giving it gas. So slow turns or parking stuff like that is a serious issue. Works like a pearl at 10mph or more. Any ideas? Faulty new pump maybe?
Old March 11th, 2017, 09:26
NAXJA Member

Is your belt slipping? Serp belt requires a LOT more tension than you'd think. I checked mine with a Krikit after my alt would drop out in the rain and found that my "educated thumb" (on V-belts) just had it set way too loose.
Old March 11th, 2017, 10:01
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N_99xj View Post
Is your belt slipping? Serp belt requires a LOT more tension than you'd think. I checked mine with a Krikit after my alt would drop out in the rain and found that my "educated thumb" (on V-belts) just had it set way too loose.
Weirdly enough my belt is actually too tight. It makes a whine right now. Previous owner custom made a bracket and must have been off by 1/18th of an inch because the belt is brand new and has way too much tension. Could that be the issue?

I'm new to Jeeps and have never had this kind of issue in any vehicle
Old March 13th, 2017, 09:12
Member Number 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakz View Post
Weirdly enough my belt is actually too tight. It makes a whine right now. Previous owner custom made a bracket and must have been off by 1/18th of an inch because the belt is brand new and has way too much tension. Could that be the issue?

I'm new to Jeeps and have never had this kind of issue in any vehicle
What kind of bracket did he make? Pictures? If you replaced the pump an it only works as rpm increases it has to be a fluid flow problem. Is it full or air? Did you bleed it well?
Old March 15th, 2017, 19:01
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
What kind of bracket did he make? Pictures? If you replaced the pump an it only works as rpm increases it has to be a fluid flow problem. Is it full or air? Did you bleed it well?
The previous owner did all the power steering work. I tried to let air out of the power steering by popping the cap and turning the steering wheel hard left then hard right to try and push out any air. that didn't seem to fix it, unless I am doing something wrong.
Old March 16th, 2017, 07:45
Member Number 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakz View Post
The previous owner did all the power steering work. I tried to let air out of the power steering by popping the cap and turning the steering wheel hard left then hard right to try and push out any air. that didn't seem to fix it, unless I am doing something wrong.
I have loosened the return line on the box to bleed air. Another method I've also done is put the front on jack stands cycle the steering lock to lock which if there is air it will get fluid frothy. You let it sit and settle then add fluid as needed and do it again.