NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old February 27th, 2017, 21:45
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Rod Bearings

If you haven't already, check the oil filter for being
collapsed and blocking oil flow. It happens sometimes.
Old February 27th, 2017, 23:07
NAXJA Forum User

The rod bearings often wear more on the top than they do the bottom. I plasti gauge both the top and the bottom. There can be a marked difference, the bottoms may be in spec, the tops not so much.

One of my engines has two number 3 rod caps. The factory isn't always perfect.

I've removed rod nuts that were pretty darned loose. I loc tite them now. Don't really know if this is recommended or not, works for me.

Last edited by 8Mud; February 27th, 2017 at 23:19.
Old February 27th, 2017, 23:22
NAXJA Member #1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
just remembered the craptastic exhaust on the newer XJ's that has to be removed to get the pan off.
When changing the RMS on both my 2001 and a friend's 2000 XJ, both with the twin mini-cats, the oil pan came off without removing any of the exhaust system.
If additional clearance is needed, the collector flange can be unbolted, allowing the cats to swing outward.
The joint where the header attaches to the cats is a ball joint, which allows movement.
2001 Sport, 4 " lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, DB, R.E.-UCA, JKS-LCA, ACOS, SYE, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac-D-30-E-Locker both with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco/Sport-Trac front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, Towing baseplate
Old February 28th, 2017, 17:12
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mud View Post
The rod bearings often wear more on the top than they do the bottom. I plasti gauge both the top and the bottom. There can be a marked difference, the bottoms may be in spec, the tops not so much.

One of my engines has two number 3 rod caps. The factory isn't always perfect.

I've removed rod nuts that were pretty darned loose. I loc tite them now. Don't really know if this is recommended or not, works for me.
Good to know, hadn't thought of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyxj View Post
When changing the RMS on both my 2001 and a friend's 2000 XJ, both with the twin mini-cats, the oil pan came off without removing any of the exhaust system.
If additional clearance is needed, the collector flange can be unbolted, allowing the cats to swing outward.
The joint where the header attaches to the cats is a ball joint, which allows movement.
Mine doesn't have mini cat's that I recall, but it has 2 pipe that merge into 1 right about the bottom of the oil pan. 3 cylinders into 1 pipe, then those 2 into 1 main. There are 2 collection flanges just under the oil pan bolts and they are tight enough against the pan that you cannot get to the bolts. The collector runs down next to and under the oil pan is all one piece. The flanges were not ball joints but the crush donuts. It doesn't unbolt until you get right to the crossmember on the passenger side. So can't really move it without removing that whole section.

It's crazy how many of variations of part they used, like they just were picking out of a pile of parts.
Old February 28th, 2017, 17:20
NAXJA Member

Installing main studs requires an align hone at the least if not an align bore. This is due to the way studs clamp vs. bolts. Same goes for rod bolts. ARP rod bolts are tightened different and usually to a higher spec which can egg shape the big end. That's why you resize when fitting new rod bolts. ARP bolts/studs won't help oil pressure issues and rod/ main bolts are not usually a week link in the 4.0.
Old February 28th, 2017, 22:24
NAXJA Member

I'm not expecting the bolts to do anything for oil pressure. As noted in my original post there is noise that developed, went away after torquing the bolts, and then returned a few months later. Oil pressure issue have been recent, 2 issues not necessarily related.

I'd like to know why the noise went away after my initial check only to return.
Old March 4th, 2017, 10:12
NAXJA Member

OK I found the bearings I was referring to earlier. My 99 always sounded like a bucket of bolts but had great oil pressure. So I bought a set of standard bearings and was going to roll them in (flexplate bolts were tight and flexplate appeared uncracked; I checked) Since I'm getting rid of the 99 PM me if you want the bearings to play with. They're Clevite and they're in the trunk of my car now as I just got back from my storage locker rummaging for Jeep parts.