NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:22
NAXJA Forum User

CAD Delete

Anyone know any company and web site that get rid of this?!?
Old September 14th, 2011, 10:57
Three-De Off-Road

Re: CAD Delete

I'm sure there is a cream or powder or sanitary spray out there for that somewhere!

All you really need to do is cut a metal plate the same dimension as the hole left when you pull off the vacuum mechanism, drill the screw holes and lock it on there with a gasket maker. Beware though, you may have issues getting your long shaft to seat into the carrier because the existing inner axle seal will probably not have a "ramp" to guide it in.
Dirk DeYoung--Member #176--National Vice President, SEC President
You'll never leave Harlan alive.
1996 ZJ (200GRND)...2001 XJ (TRALRIG)...2013 WKII (SUZIE)...2006 XK (TOW RIG)
Old September 14th, 2011, 11:14
NAXJA Forum User

Cool thanks ya i was thinking about buying the solid axle shaft and ripping the other one out.. then making the plate and just bolting it right in.. would that work?!?
Old September 14th, 2011, 11:58
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNewb View Post
Cool thanks ya i was thinking about buying the solid axle shaft and ripping the other one out.. then making the plate and just bolting it right in.. would that work?!?

That is all I did to mine. The only issue is because of the original two piece shaft there is no seal to keep the diff fluid from going down the tube to the CAD motor. There are a few places that sell the seal, but I change my diff fluid so often I never worried about it.
Old September 14th, 2011, 13:26
Three-De Off-Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by .40CalPatriot View Post
The only issue is because of the original two piece shaft there is no seal to keep the diff fluid from going down the tube to the CAD motor.
Agreed. I had a pretty steady leak out the passenger side axle tube, but just keep it topped off and you will be ok. I did take the precaution of pulling the cover and changing the oil anytime I did any wheeling that took me through deep water crossings. Better safe than sorry.
Dirk DeYoung--Member #176--National Vice President, SEC President
You'll never leave Harlan alive.
1996 ZJ (200GRND)...2001 XJ (TRALRIG)...2013 WKII (SUZIE)...2006 XK (TOW RIG)
Old September 14th, 2011, 14:00
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
Agreed. I had a pretty steady leak out the passenger side axle tube, but just keep it topped off and you will be ok. I did take the precaution of pulling the cover and changing the oil anytime I did any wheeling that took me through deep water crossings. Better safe than sorry.
O I forgot to mention I installed Alloy USA Tube seals when I did the conversion to keep the water/mud out of the tube, and to keep the diff fluid inside the tube.
Old September 14th, 2011, 14:16
NAXJA Forum User

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...ect/index.html
Old September 14th, 2011, 14:44
NAXJA Forum User

i did this to my 88 and swapped in new shafts/bigger ujoints/USA seals in the process. your supposed to change out an inner seal to prevent leakage but i didnt. it does leak down the long side of the tube though but i dont have a drop coming past the USA seals. i made a plate out of 16g steel got from lowes (i think) and had a roll of gasket material so i made my own gasket. i also threw on some RTV when installing it to assure it wouldnt leak. it hasnt. make sure to clean out the axle tubes!! all that oil rolling back and forth carrying dirt and grime BACK into the diff. i dont think so!

then i took the vaccum lines and used heat sealing tubing and sealed them off. after that i just pushed them up out of the way. i bought 97 shafts from the JY and spicer joints offline as well as the USA seals. this swap is easy as hell and well worth it IMO.
Old September 15th, 2011, 22:10
NAXJA Forum User

I'm looking at doing this but might just lock the collar over for the time being instead of changing the axle.
Old September 16th, 2011, 05:31
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjeeper View Post
I'm looking at doing this but might just lock the collar over for the time being instead of changing the axle.
In this case, it's easy. No parts required. Remove the c-clip from the vac motor shaft, slide the fork over, and reinstall the c-clip. Slide the shift collar over so the two piece axle is now one. I think CherokeeForum has a write-up in their technical forum, but it's really evident what needs to be done once you remove the shift motor assembly.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 15:06
NAXJA Member

Sorry for reviving an old thread but im looking to do this myself just javing some problems findiny the seal. Rustys has a kit for 18 and then another 30 for shipping. Ill make my own plate i just need to know what seal to get. Basically i pulled a 86 cad axle with 4.10 gears, gonna pull a 95+ inner axle shafts and want to know if stock non cad seals will work in the cad axle?
Old March 2nd, 2017, 17:35
NAXJA Member

You'll need to do some machining of the passenger side inside the pumpkin. If you're not comfortable pulling the carrier and doing that, I would just run the cad selector ring fixed to the drivers side and go with it.

SeXJ Build Thread
Old March 2nd, 2017, 18:17
NAXJA Member

Thanks dan, ended up getting an itchy mouse finger and ordered the rustys kit before reading your reply. Hopefully it will work out. I highly doubt i would break a shaft on 32s especially doing what i do but still just in case it would be nice just to pull the shaft and slap in a new one on the trail which is another reason for wanting to get rid of that double axle thing. Just one less thing to worry about hopefully.