NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 10th, 2016, 18:00
NAXJA Forum User

Front driveshaft question

I am swapping and building a lot of stuff on my xj and first on the list is building and 8.8 with gears to match my 33s. Next up is swapping the ax15 to get my Puegot out. while I have the transfer case out I was thinking of installing a sye. I was wondering if a front driveshaft can be used with no lift? I am installing a lift later when I finish collecting the parts so for a while it will have no lift to speak of. I can throw the transfer case back in without the sye and use the stock driveshaft but I thought if the front driveshaft would work I can avoid dropping the transfer case again.

I searched and I found people using the front driveshaft for lifts and custom shafts for no lift but I couldn't find much info for fully compressed length if I went over a speed bump or whatever with no lift would it be too small?

Thanks
Old December 10th, 2016, 18:10
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: Front driveshaft question

If the driveshaft is centered in the slip yoke travel when installed, it should be OK. You will likely have to find a shorter driveshaft if there is no lift installed. You will need to test fit and/or measure to be sure. See the driveshaft length posting in the FAQ's to find a Junkyard driveshaft that will fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Blanket caught in the rear liftgate latch. Now I can't open.
Old December 10th, 2016, 18:31
NAXJA Forum Addict

Re: Front driveshaft question

You can't use an xj front shaft with an ax15, you need a longer shaft

01 XJ Sport 2 door 5spd/4WD- 4" lift, 35" BFG ATs, JCR bumpers, Rubi 44, Ford 8.8, 4.56's, ARBs
Old December 10th, 2016, 20:13
NAXJA Forum User

Front driveshaft question

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderOffRoad View Post
You can't use an xj front shaft with an ax15, you need a longer shaft

Find a V8 Grand Cherokee front drive shaft. The length varies by an inch or two for certain years but like mentioned before the OEM DS lengths are in the stickies. That will get you as close as you can without having a custom one made.

I ran an XJ auto front driveshaft with my ax15/231 with SYE for a little bit. Were the splines on the slip showing? Yes. Did it come apart? Never. At the time I was in a pinch. Later I took it to a driveshaft shop and they lengthened it so the slip is back in the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk