NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old December 7th, 2016, 18:23
NAXJA# 2091

Re: Installing New Lifters w/ Orig./Stock Cam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overland View Post
I would tell people the same, that it's no dice. No surprise when the cover came off and the holes were too small, but then there was that video. I'll pass it along to my friend, maybe he can go back and look again.

How did you count pistons with the head bolted down? I would have counted the rocker bosses.

It could just be that you're a badass member of yore who can see through cast iron. Could be.
LOL, I was in a hurry with that post. I used the surrogate you mentioned for counting the pistons. No, I did not use the force, not this time, LOL.
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old December 7th, 2016, 20:21
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Installing New Lifters w/ Orig./Stock Cam?

I had a GM 5.7 vortec powered vehicle for about a decade.
Noisy lifters is a problem among many of them.
When they started knocking consistently,
I'd replace a quart of motor oil with a quart of ATF for the full 3,000 miles.
Worked well.

Somewhere around 240k I replaced them and the push rods,
Filled the block with desiel and ran the oil pump with a drill, took 17 oil filters before I had clean desiel return.
Slowly flushed it out with oil using the same method.
Sold it to a fella at work, Engine is still kicking it knock free.

Last edited by 91Heep; December 7th, 2016 at 20:28.