NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > OEM Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old April 10th, 2012, 21:43
NAXJA Forum User

Re: wont start after arc welding?

ive been doing this for a longtime and never hurt anything maybe ive been lucky but if your cautious about where you put the ground lead you should be fine
Old April 11th, 2012, 03:20
NAXJA Member

You mentioned you've got fuel, and voltage to the coil, but no spark. Did you try replacing the coil?
Old April 11th, 2012, 05:30
NAXJA Member

Many years ago I was doing some welding on a heavy equipment for about the 2,000 time in about 2 years. This time the battery blow a 4" X 6" piece out of the top with some of the lead plates still attached. Luckily, it had the British Lucas electrical system consisting of a generator and a remote mounted regulator. A new battery and every thing was perfect again. I would not try that on one of these modern electronic vehicles. I always disconnect the battery and the ECU. Many welders get lucky and have no problem welding without disconnecting the electrical and many others end up with blown electronics. It have been rumoured that by putting the groung clamp as close to the work (area to be welded) as possible you could reduce the negative impacts.

It will be rather difficult to say exactly what part or parts is damaged without testing each part. The above posts give some hints as to where to start.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old April 11th, 2012, 05:44
NAXJA Forum User

I agree that 12v into the coil does not mean it is putting power out. that would be the first check I would do.
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:31
NAXJA Forum User

He said 12 volts from the coil not too the coil, unless he meant"too the coil".
So from the coil to the dizzy is where power is lost?
Or do you have voltage to the dizzy.did you replace the cap and rotor with the exchanged dizzy?
Old April 11th, 2012, 19:09
NAXJA Forum User

from experience welding cages in BMW's and frying 2 coils.. I would replace that first and then swap in a new ecu
Old April 11th, 2012, 19:20
NAXJA Member

If he's only got 12v coming out of the coil then that would indicate a problem right there. The coil takes the 12v and steps it up to the kilo-volt range (IIRC 12kv), and outputs it to the distributor. It works much in the same way the transformer for your house works, but backwards.
Old April 12th, 2012, 00:13
NAXJA Member

i recently welded on my exhaust on my zj, and now my radio doesnt turn on. havent looked into it, but i bet i burned something. its probably a good idea to unplug the battery and the pcm(i have the mopar pcm $300). i will from now on.
Old April 16th, 2012, 13:39
NAXJA Forum User

yes i have 12v coming out of the coil. nothing from the distributer. replaced distributer and still nothing. replacing coil right now and charging. wish me luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash02 View Post
He said 12 volts from the coil not too the coil, unless he meant"too the coil".
So from the coil to the dizzy is where power is lost?
Or do you have voltage to the dizzy.did you replace the cap and rotor with the exchanged dizzy?
Old April 16th, 2012, 15:31
NAXJA Forum User

replaced the coil and the ecu still no start. what could it possably be? its getting spark and its getting fuel in the rail. what controls the injectors the ecu? is it timing?
Old April 16th, 2012, 19:22
NAXJA Forum User

GOT IT STARTED!!! timing needed to be adjusted so i fooled with the distributer and it fired up but is backfiring really loud. im confused by this distributer do i just keep adjusting it 180 to dial it in or does the computer reset it or whats the deal with this thing?
Old April 16th, 2012, 19:58
NAXJA Forum User

Right on! I wish I had an answer for you,I was always under the impression you get the dizzy close and then the ecu adjust from there.
Are all your injectors working properly?
Still curious what caused the jeep to not run/start in the first place after welding.
Old April 16th, 2012, 20:01
NAXJA Member

Do a search on here about indexing the distributor. It has been covered dozens of times. If you still don't understand, come back and ask the questions you have at that point. Good Luck.
Old April 16th, 2012, 20:39
NAXJA Forum User

im still not sure what was wrong with it. luckily i have an identical jeep in my back yard i can rob parts off of so i just started replacing everything. i saw spark after i replaced the ecu but i also replaced the coil right befor and put a different battery in it so who knows. i was thinking it was going to be some fried wiring under the dash somewhere and was getting pretty hopeless thinking about digging thru that mess but once it sparked i knew it had some fight left in it. thanks for all the help.