• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing a ZJ/XJ overhead console:

Quick question if anyone can help.

I am attempting to replace my 1991 XJ overhead console with a 1995 (?) Grand Cherokee overhead console.

So far so lucky I was able to make my current plug fit the ZJ Overhead computer and I have compass and temp, which is all I really wanted to get back after the old one burned out.

Since it was lose in another Jeep, a Jeep it didn't come from, I do not have the brackets and the old 91 XJ brackets do not look compatible.

Looking at the factory parts catalog there is one bracket listed (ZJ - 5503 3850), looks like middle bracket, but what goes at the front where the screw holds it up?

Should I be looking for ZJ or XJ brackets?

Thanks for your help.

Is it the the console that has the visor clips integrated in it? If so, that's where the front mounts. Drop the free-standing visor clips and the holes in the console should line up. If it doesn't have the clips there should just be a single screw hole.

Is it the the console that has the visor clips integrated in it? If so, that's where the front mounts. Drop the free-standing visor clips and the holes in the console should line up. If it doesn't have the clips there should just be a single screw hole.
It has one screw at the top of it like the old XJ overhead had, no visor clips. Should I just use the front XJ Bracket? I wasn't sure because it looked like it might not be flush with roof.

Here is a image of the factor service parts scheme for the ZJ they, the don't show a front bracket except for the mini console.
c59890d88976b9b15d83133c8a11663c4.png

XJ and ZJ OHC's are held in by the beaver tail clip on the back end, the console bracket (item #3) in the center, and the screw or screws on the front.

XJ and ZJ OHC's are held in by the beaver tail clip on the back end, the console bracket (item #3) in the center, and the screw or screws on the front.

So the back goes in just like the old one, the middle bracket is the #3 on the digram, and the front just screws into a pre drilled hole in the roof? No front bracket?

Found it, here's what you need: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoOverheadConsole.htm

Check out the front bracket that the console screws into.

Found out the brackets looks the same because they are the same, that write up has the same kind of overhead as our 91 xj came with.

Finally found a FSM write up about the 93 up ZJ console, the is only one bracket in the middle/ back of the console (similar to the one used for the 91 xj). Looks like there is supposed to be a pre-drilled hole in the roof structure that the ZJ screw slides up to.

So...if I'm reading everything right and understanding it properly...

By using a Caravan frame w/the rear from a ZJ, I get : Compass/Fuel mileage/Mileage till empty etc just by doing a "plug and play" and in order to get just the TEMP I need the BCM from the ZJ as well?

The rear from the ZJ isn't "important" only if I don't want the rear window switches from the Caravan yes?

Or do I need to transfer the ZJ parts into the Caravan frame for the MPG stuff to work?

I have a 97 Cherokee

Anyways YOU DO NOT NEED A BCM if.. you dont care about the temperature. Everything else works, mpg, dte, et, active mpg etc etc. This is regarding a ZJ overhead.

Great info. I just picked one up from the JY. Cant wait to dig in and give it a try. I need to go back and get the BCM cause I do care about the outside temp:)

Does anyone know if this doable on a 85, I went to the junkyard a year ago and pulled one out having in mind to this (didn't know many had the same idea) but am scared to even attempt it with out a diy thread, knowing the 85' practically did not have any of the electronics the mid 90's xj had..any advice is appreciated.

im reviving this from the dead. i have swapped a 95 zj ohc to my 90 xj. my 90 had the factory ohc and the compass module died so i wired in the 95 zj one. all is working except after some time the compass stops working and only shows N and cal lights up. and after doing dozens of circles it will not calibrate.

i dont have the fuel level sensor signal hooked up or any ccd connections.

i got a zj bcm module do i just need to feed it ccd signal.

i understand that this post is 9 years old, but if anyone would still reply, are the trip computers on the 97-01 XJs and Caravans the same? i have a 1993 dodge grand caravan with that exact center console and the computer is fried. They are impossible to find as "caravan center consoles" but i seem to find a bunch of "XJ Center consoles." I just need to know if a XJ trip computer will work in my van. Thanks

Funny. I am not the only want who wanted to revive this! Only difference is I don't care about using the overhead for a compass or MPG. Here in 2018 a good OBD reader and old cell phone give way more data. I am using OBDLink and the TORQUE app. More engine monitoring than any of the old Jeep systems gave us.

HOWEVER, I always thought using the ZJ overhead would be outstanding for a switch panel, CB mount, and extra storage since the XJ has so little storage to start with. You need not use an XJ overhead. The Grand Cherokee overhead fits between the XJ sun visor clips just fine on the XJ headliner.

I am planning on using the forward plastic "data" screen for a switch plate for overhead lights. The second data panel aft of the front overhead lights will be either another switch panel or boxed in to make a storage bin or possibly a spot for a small CB. The rear expanse will get a small hinged hatch installed for more storage. I'll relocate the original electronics to the new overhead, so no wiring diagnostics required other than the light switch wire runs.

If anyone has done this, photos please???

i understand that this post is 9 years old, but if anyone would still reply, are the trip computers on the 97-01 XJs and Caravans the same? i have a 1993 dodge grand caravan with that exact center console and the computer is fried. They are impossible to find as "caravan center consoles" but i seem to find a bunch of "XJ Center consoles." I just need to know if a XJ trip computer will work in my van. Thanks

I think I might have a spare computer for one of those. Failing that, I am pretty sure I can fix yours. Send me a PM if you are interested. FWIW, I would only charge for parts/shipping....

And yes, the Caravan version is the same as the XJ version but make sure you get the right model year. Later models moved the buttons to a different part of the console and are not interchangeable with the older versions that have the buttons integrated.

I have 2 consoles left over after scavenging for 6 months to put one together for my wife's cherokee.

One is a genuine cherokee console that I bought off ebay for $130 and only used the display from it. It needs a little tlc and a display with wiring to work. Bracket included....$50.

Other console is a genuine minivan unit with the zj back panel. It is in very good condition. Minivan bracket included....$100.

I am in the Spokane, WA area. If you need either of these shipped, add $30 to price.

PM for details and images.

Back