• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FFDynamics shroud kit for triple threat fans

jeeperjohn

NAXJA Forum User
O.K. so I have been wanting to install this shroud kit for a while now but haven't been able to get around to it. I finally did it today and it took far less time than I thought it would. This shroud kit allows the fans to pull air through the entire radiator core. Before the fans blocked about a 3" round area where the center of the fan blade was. It still moved alot of air but there was room for improvement. This is what it looked like with just the fans installed on the radiator:

DSCF1433.jpg

This is what you get, the 3 shrouds along with 6 lengths of flexible plastic edge guards to prevent chafing of the shrouds against the radiator, 12 of the zip tie like mounting pieces and a bag of 12 bolts, washers and nuts. This kit is comprised of very high quality parts. The shrouds are made of thick aluminum that is very strong yet lightweight.

DSCF1434.jpg

This is what each fan looks like mounted on it's individual shroud:

DSCF1435.jpg

Last edited:
The next step was drill the mounting holes for the fans on to the shrouds. I chose to use rivnuts (an expanding aluminum rivet that is threaded on the inside to allow mounting of a screw) instead of the provided bolts, washers, and nuts because I wanted to be able to dismount the fans without removing the zip tie things that mount the shrouds.

DSCF1437.jpg

This is the tool that expands the rivnut and holds it firmly in place on the sheetmetal:

DSCF1439.jpg

DSCF1440.jpg

Last edited:
This is what the rivnut looks like installed:

DSCF1441.jpg

Once I had that done I drilled holes in the sides of the individual shrouds because I wanted it to all be held together as one solid unit. Here's what they look like bolted together:

DSCF1442.jpg

I then added the anti chafe strips to the edges of the shrouds that sit next to the radiator:

DSCF1444.jpg

This is what the shrouds looked like mocked up on the radiator:

DSCF1446.jpg

After installing the zip tie things that hold the shrouds on all I had to do was screw the fans on to the rivnuts I'd installed on the shrouds and then connect the electrical and put the cross brace back on:

DSCF1447.jpg

DSCF1448.jpg

And here we have the finished install:

DSCF1451.jpg

It is worth taking note that the radiator sits a little more then an inch forward in the mount because of the previous Taurus fan install. You can tell by the room behind the fans though that there would be plenty of room on any normal Jeep.

DSCF1455.jpg

DSCF1456.jpg

Stay tuned for a comparison of the new cooling capability compared to before. I am thinking it will be very substantial.

Nice set up..I think you should have done this in the summer, going to be hard to tell if it helps you john..I think today we got up to 84..

Nice set up..I think you should have done this in the summer, going to be hard to tell if it helps you john..I think today we got up to 84..
I plan to beat the piss out of this thing over the next couple of weeks to test it. I made some of my test trips before in the early morning when it was fairly cool so I will have similar temps for comparison. I may not be able to provide scientifically instrumented test results but I will make the best effort to duplicate conditions and report my findings honestly.

Hey John...
So to abandon the mechanical fan all you did was pull the fan clutch & fan ??
No change of the other hardware... i.e. pulleys & such ?
Bring it down here in July... that'll test it...

Curt

Is this kit designed to be only used with the FF Dynamics radiator?

Do you know if it will work with the stock radiator?

Really nice write up John. After seeing your's today, it's on my list of upgrades. When you mounted the shrouds to the radiator did you mount them direct to the radiator or did you isolate them? I just wonder about the aluminum shrouds rubbing on the aluminum radiator.

please post on perfomance of them, i am possibly looking into picking some up too. thanks

Back