NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 5th, 2009, 20:00
Still Flailing

Re: 1/4 elliptical rear suspension

This jeep had a 1/4 elliptical set-up(as well as a stroker) and I GUARANTEE it would have spanked any one of your jeeps at what it was made for, I saw it go, it worked. Darren Skilton was driving it at the time, the Nevada 1000 back in 2006. (don't have any pics of the 1/4 elliptical set-up but it had it, and the leaf packs looked $$) they are probably not the most convenient design to set up but to say they are useless...is a ludicrous generalization.

Last edited by Skullver; March 5th, 2009 at 20:07.
Old March 5th, 2009, 22:32
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullver View Post
This jeep had a 1/4 elliptical set-up(as well as a stroker) and I GUARANTEE it would have spanked any one of your jeeps at what it was made for, I saw it go, it worked. Darren Skilton was driving it at the time, the Nevada 1000 back in 2006. (don't have any pics of the 1/4 elliptical set-up but it had it, and the leaf packs looked $$) they are probably not the most convenient design to set up but to say they are useless...is a ludicrous generalization.

There is also a bit of a difference between a JS 1600 class and a regular Joe doing a 1/4 elliptical.
Old March 5th, 2009, 22:41
Still Flailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard M View Post
There is also a bit of a difference between a JS 1600 class and a regular Joe doing a 1/4 elliptical.
I am not arguing that, but what really defines the average joe? People make it work, as I said it is not going to be a convenient solution for a run of the mill XJ, but to claim they are absolutely useless etc is not really true. I have no desire to run one, but like I said they can be made to work very well......
Old March 5th, 2009, 23:14
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullver View Post
I am not arguing that, but what really defines the average joe? People make it work, as I said it is not going to be a convenient solution for a run of the mill XJ, but to claim they are absolutely useless etc is not really true. I have no desire to run one, but like I said they can be made to work very well......
An average joe I would consider to be someone who has a basic grasp on link geometry.

I agree with you, that they do preform, I was just trying to point out that there is a little bit more then making some links and welding on some tabs to make a 1/4 elliptical (or any linked suspension for that matter) that can handle well at speeds in the whoops.
Old March 6th, 2009, 06:38
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by emr1101 View Post
anyone ever done it?
Lets see if I can get you started with some places to research. First I ran 1/4 elliptical on my YJ for a few years and IMHO it is the best suspension out there hands down and that is only from my actual experience with it, not just another opinion like you have seen on this thread. My next move on my XJ is to put it under it but want to figure out how to beef the underside up first to support the link suspension.
Now this first place is from the guy who really brought 1/4 elliptic to off-roading his name is Steve and owns Avanlanche Engineering you can get your spring packs and link arms, brackets etc from him or make them yourself. give them a call, they forgot more about it and then everyone else knows.
http://www.avalancheengineering.com/
Great shackles:
http://bluetorchfab.com/store/produc...products_id=18
Great pics of it even if it is on a Zuk:
http://www.rocky-road.com/quarterelliptic.html
Great link for the build and a good look at the 4-link suspension:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466274
Saved the best for last, a good tech articule that will give you more then what you ever wanted to know about 1/4 ellipitcal suspension:
http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/quarterellip/

Last tip, what ever you are thinking of doing to your rig, plug it into Google first and read away, you will hit every site and article on any subject you are looking for, just spend sometime doing it first.
Good luck guy!
Old March 6th, 2009, 08:47
NAXJA Member

I like the systems but they weigh more then a coil type setup and should preform about the same.

Beezil ran it on the rear of his XJ and it seemed to work fine.
Old March 6th, 2009, 08:51
NAXJA Forum User

well eventually I want to run a different setup in the rear of my XJ, 1/4 elliptical done right is pretty neat, very different. But with the new coil conversions coming out from some of the vendors, it may not even be worth it to try by the time I am ready
Old March 6th, 2009, 10:48
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by emr1101 View Post
i mean anyone on here if you have done it or a 3/4 chime in, id like to see how you guys set it up (for those who did it)

That's not what you asked, you asked if it had been done, and your question was answered.

=)
Old March 6th, 2009, 14:27
NAXJA Forum User

The advantage I could see of half a spring pack over a coil would be that you could still add and remove leaves from a 1/4 elliptical set up to adjust rate and height.