NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 3rd, 2008, 21:54
NAXJA Forum User

Death Wobble?

I have a 2001 xj. I put the 2" lift kit from skyjacker on it. Everything was fine for the first 10K miles. Now when I go between 45-50mph, the whole jeep shakes like crazy. If I speed up past 50 or slow down below 45 it is fine. Can only 2" of lift cause the driveshaft to be at too steep of an angle? I didn't get an alignment afterward, could this have something to do with it? Would a tcase drop slove this? Please let me know. Thanks!
Old September 3rd, 2008, 22:14
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Death Wobble?

um....go get an alignment and let us know how that goes for you. even the smallest amount of lift can toe you in too much. But after 10k miles, it might have worn your tires unevenly....had those rotated/balanced recently?
Old September 3rd, 2008, 22:22
NAXJA Forum User

First off, welcome to .
Well you admit to not getting an alignment done yet so not to be caption obvious but get that done first then let us know. You shouldn't need a tc drop but every Jeep is different. Check the whole front end out. Then when you run outta ideas go over it again just in case.
I will say it before anyone else does. This topic has been covered many many times. Yes every one has a little bit different set up but the areas to check all end up being the same, usually. Do not forget about the Search button, it has solved a many of issues I have had so that I had no need to post up the Question after I got done reading the other threads. Some people are just anal about telling everyone to search and not helping right away.
But get that alignment done and have them make sure that everything is tight under there, then let us know what happens. enjoy.....
Old September 3rd, 2008, 22:30
NAXJA Forum User

The lift toed it in at least a quarter inch. Your Jeep apparently took it in stride, until the tires started cupping resulting in balance issues. Hopefully just a rotate/ balance/ align will fix it for you.