• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Carrier Recommendations

cshontz said:
X3
The tailgate clear the hinge okay?

no way it clears the hinge,

or at least the view i'm seeing, unless its 6" out from the face of the tailgate..

It clears. I know because it's mine :). It is close, but it clears no problem. Awesome product for sure.

DSC_0011-edit.jpg

Last edited:
93XJLI said:
hows it mount? does it use L brackets that go into the frame like the Mopar nutstrips?

Heavier than the Mopar nutstrips.... 12 connections total for 97+,
14 connections for pre '97.

Gas skids? Factory yes.....I have'nt seeked out every after market skid thats
available out there, to answer that 100% accurately....I really dont think
it would be an issue though, I say if it's a concern...follow along with the on
line directions & make the judgement call for yourself. (when available)

Does anyone here have a C-Rok rear bumper with tire carrier?

For $800, it's the cheapest "strong" rear bumper with carrier I've seen and I would like to see more of it before I place my order. ;)

RD-Rear_lg.jpg

26 mounting points. I just don't see the need, but it's the best looking bumper for the XJ IMHO.

Here's the tire carrier:
Carrier-On-2.jpg

Detour said:
I always suggest getting that Hi-Lift under your back seat, with a little tuning on the tunnel, it fits (shoe off) unless you've got one of those real long units....While its a nice look on the carrier, it adds alot of stress to the carrier, adds excess weight to an outter most point, not to mention if you dont maintain your Hi-Lift, it can become pretty dangerous.....but thats just my opinion.

Believe me, I wouldn't be doing it for looks - just for preparedness. That is a good suggestion, though - I will take a look under the seat to see what kind of real estate I have under there. Weight on the carrier, and outdoor exposure are valid concerns, although I would hope that your tailbone could bear the weight of a 48" Hi-Lift in addition to a 31" spare.

Even a clean and well-kept Hi-Lift can get pretty nasty if you're trying to use them in thick pancake batter. I am trying to keep hardware that might be prone to getting soiled on the outside of the XJ for the sake of preserving the interior. Honestly, I don't think there's a good answer. I'd be happy to forego the Hi-Lift altogether, but my factory jack is barely adequate on the trail - even with only 2" of increased ride height.

Previous Cherokees I've installed the Hi-Lift on the roof rack, which worked well enough, but I'm trying to avoid installing anything roof-mounted on this build. I don't know ... I'm just thinking aloud at this point ... but its not imperative that I carry a Hi-Lift. Just a matter of being prepared for the unexpected. Welcome anyone's thoughts.

cshontz said:
Believe me, I wouldn't be doing it for looks - just for preparedness. That is a good suggestion, though - I will take a look under the seat to see what kind of real estate I have under there. Weight on the carrier, and outdoor exposure are valid concerns, although I would hope that your tailbone could bear the weight of a 48" Hi-Lift in addition to a 31" spare.

Even a clean and well-kept Hi-Lift can get pretty nasty if you're trying to use them in thick pancake batter. I am trying to keep hardware that might be prone to getting soiled on the outside of the XJ for the sake of preserving the interior. Honestly, I don't think there's a good answer. I'd be happy to forego the Hi-Lift altogether, but my factory jack is barely adequate on the trail - even with only 2" of increased ride height.

Previous Cherokees I've installed the Hi-Lift on the roof rack, which worked well enough, but I'm trying to avoid installing anything roof-mounted on this build. I don't know ... I'm just thinking aloud at this point ... but its not imperative that I carry a Hi-Lift. Just a matter of being prepared for the unexpected. Welcome anyone's thoughts.

I agree with you 100%. I keep mine in the back, well trunk if you could call it that. Although my carpet isn't the greatest back there, I will be concered about it when I gut the interior this summer and buy all new carpet. I do NOT want my Hi-Lift exposed to the elements, so my thoughts were leaning towards a Hi-Lift case and bolting it to the rack - not what you wanted though lol. And I always carry my Hi-Lift even if I'm not offroading, and when it gets dirty, I spray it down with the powerwasher and then use a little bit of spray white lithium on those pin thingies to keep it working good.

i've got a custom 4x4 set. they're very strong and i shopped around alot last year for the best price. the one problem with it is the optional hi-lift mount is only u-bolted on( see the website for details) and i've dented my hatch a few times now from backing up into trees and most recently a cement pillar. the thing i didn't realize about these beef aftermarket bumpers is that they will not budge or give at all whatsoever, the force is going to be sent down the line to the weakest link, in my case with the cement post in reverse at about 3 mph, it crumpled in a unibody rail on the drivers side, side i hit, just forward of the gas skid. i didn't realize it until my rear drivers side door didn't shut right. i got it pulled at an auto body shop for very cheap $ 275 off the record of course and no insurance involvement. guy at the body shop said it took 4800 pounds of pressure on their machine to get it right again.. something to think about, a factory bumper would have crumpled long before it wouldhave damaged the unibody. and i was going 3 mph. granted, the cement post wasn't going to budge at all either. just something to think about while on the topic. but yeah check out c 4x4 out of oklahoma.

QUOTE=gorilla_skater]It clears. I know because it's mine :). It is close, but it clears no problem. Awesome product for sure.
[/QUOTE]

i stand corrected..
the angle of that 1st pic looked as tho the top of the hinge was a bit higher than the top of the bumper, not the case..

the hinge clearence issue was a big factor in the design of my tire carrier, to have a good departure angle and an operational tailgate was tough to negotiate/

slick lookin setup there..

as for it supporting a 35" tire,, hmmm i wouldn't say supporting a 31" tire on the factory bumper bracketry would be wise..
**Not saying this design isn't supported properly but it should be addressed in Whatever Design a Would be buyer/builder should consider..

my old swing arm design caused the factory mounting point to fail w/ a 33" tire.. but thats after 2 yrs of trail abuse..

-in summary the 4 bolt/per side bumper bracket holes cannot support a tire/wheel and swing-arm..

now the New design is based on cutting away the end/cap mounting locations of the oem bumper and inserting 2x5 rect. steel and built a Real Bumper off of that..
--just bumper... tire carrier added later..

w/ carrier..
514361_45_full.jpg

JLane.....and everyone else, it should be made clear that the TailBone does
'not' use factory bumper brackets, it use's the same bracketry used on our
full SlimLine bumpers, I know it is yet to be shown...I just want to point
that out. The breakdown has been fully photographed, but I'm holding those
photo's back for now, they'll be viewable on the website when released.

Price estimate on the TailBone will be $365-$385.00, it depends what box
pricing comes in at and packaging materials.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who knows or see's the dangers of an unkept
Hi-Lift when stored out doors, your climate zone will play a role here, so
someone reading this in Cali or Texas may disagree. We're also working on
a mounting system for under the back seat for the Hi-Lift, we've got the
plan, if we dont find the time, I'll hand it off to another company I work
with to try to get it out there.

Some good questions here, I almost feel I stole this thread...but it was just
tooo perfect & the timing was right, I'll be sure to consider a FAQ's page
on the site when released in a few weeks.

One last thing for now, as far as the flames go........I can remove them for
those who dont care for them, it came up in a phone conversation today
and with part in hand.....it was detemaned it was no big deal.

yeah, I am interested in what he^^ said....

Red97XJ said:
when can we place an order and expect delivery?
I want one also!

What is the story with that Detour roof rack? was that a custom job?

Rigidco with endcaps is what I ordered:

100_0861.jpg

Back