• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Official Sierra Fest Schedule

Ben H

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all.

There has been a change of plans. Instead of running several different trails we will be running Swamp trail on Friday and Saturday. There will be a chicken BBQ Saturday night, with a raffle. Sunday is a play it by ear type deal with opportunities to run Bald, Coyote, Brewer amongst other choices.

Dinner on Saturday night will consist of a bacon concoction, boneless chicken thighs, baked beans, macaroni salad, apple pie and possibly homemade ice cream. Anything you want to bring to throw on your grill is more than welcome. Dinner will be the typical $10, with all food donated by the B.O.D., it will be a good opportunity for the Sierra Chapter to increase its donation fund.

Prizes for the raffle are still in the works with a tool bag donated by Bryan C., a case of wine and a tool bag from myself. We are working getting more prizes put together. Any donations for the raffle will be greatly appreciated. As an incentive for donations of any kind, said donors will get 2x the amount of raffle tickets they purchase within reason. All proceeds will go to the Sierra Chapter fund. If you cant make it, but love raffles, post up and we'll have somebody be there to hold your tickets if you win.

Additionally we would like to gauge interest in T-shits and windshield placards (Placards would say: Naxja Sierra Chapter Member 2009-2010).
If you are interested please post up and we'll see if we can order some up.

Swamp lake will require work if you dont have a locker. Tow points are an absolute must. It is up to you if your rig will make it out like it went in.

Thanks all and I'll start counting heads as the week goes by. See you up there.

Last edited:
ARe you going to just run and camp on Swamp, then head out Sunday morning? Or run Swamp two different times (Fri & Sat?)?

Late.....

ARe you going to just run and camp on Swamp, then head out Sunday morning? Or run Swamp two different times (Fri & Sat?)?

Late.....
I think the current plan is to have 'most' people take a nice slow run into swamp (Actually camp at Grouse Lake?) that leaves at some morning time Friday.

Then Ben (and myself if I can make it) head in later on Friday evening - to catch people coming in after work and head in at a 'faster' pace.

Drive out Saturday, and have a cool campfire / raffle on Saturday evening.

Got it?

Late.....

Swamp Friday night, out Saturday, back to Camp Fresno.... Figure there will be a morning crowd going in of Friday and an Evening crowd later that day. We'll take our sweet slow time coming out and have some patron on Saturday evening. I will definitely need your skillz on the grill on Saturday night. I figure boneless chicken thighs are the best bet, figure on three thighs per person. I'll be taking apart the charcoal portion of my grill up and if you or Aaron has the room for a little smokey that'd be cool. The way I figure it, the more grill space the better. Last year I think Cap'n Ron or Richard brought that big ass pit. Pondering some homeaide ice cream and some apple pies from Costco.

I'm getting pretty excited for this. If anybody thinks we're missing something, please speak up, I no so good at this stuff.

We gonna camp at Dinkey on Saturday Night? Myself and Aaron (DSXJ) plan to stay there on SAturday Night, if time permits, run to Bald Mt. on Sunday.

Swamp Friday morning and night, out Saturday, back to Camp Fresno.... Figure there will be a morning crowd going in of Friday and an Evening crowd later that day. We'll take our sweet slow time coming out and have some patron on Saturday evening.

We gonna camp at Dinkey on Saturday Night? Myself and Aaron (DSXJ) plan to stay there on SAturday Night, if time permits, run to Bald Mt. on Sunday.

Thats the ideara

OK, what's the real deal?

Sounds like the plan is to finish running Swamp on Sat and camp that night back at Dinkey Creek. Dinner and festivities Sat night will be at base camp at Dinkey. Correct?

Then we run Bald Mtn on Sun.

For the record, we have traditionally done this run a couple of different ways. One way is to leave base camp at Dinkey Creek Fri morning (usually at 8:30) and drive half the trail to Grouse Lake, and camp there both Fri and Sat night. Drive out the rest of the trail on Sunday. Total trail is about 14 miles. Nearly everyone gets to base camp sometime Thurs evening. When we've done this sometimes a smaller group has come in Sat morning, and sometimes a couple come in late Fri night.

The other way we've done it is to camp just one night on the trail at Grouse Lake, and drive out on Sat back to base camp for Sat night. Then we run Bald Mtn trail on Sun. This is how it's going to be done this year. So, the normal schedule would be to drive up sometime Thurs to base camp at Dinkey, camp there Thurs night, Fri night camp on the trail at the lake, and Sat night camp back at base camp.

We also usually do a pot luck dinner at Grouse Lake on Fri.

Running Bald Mtn trail on Sunday is about half a day, so plenty of time for anyone to still drive home. Can easily be shorter than driving out from Grouse Lake on Sunday.

I've been on this run every year for 12+ years. It's always worth making.

See you there,

Hi folks,

Can anybody estimate the average or usual daytime and nighttime temps. there?

It will be chilly at night (40+/-), and nice during the day (around 75 unless its raining). I have been up there on a July day, when it was 80+ degrees then it got cold enough that night to freeze the edge of Brewer Lake. Best to pack warm clothes and a good sleeping bag, because you never know.

Last edited:
OK, what's the real deal?

Sounds like the plan is to finish running Swamp on Sat and camp that night back at Dinkey Creek. Dinner and festivities Sat night will be at base camp at Dinkey. Correct?

Then we run Bald Mtn on Sun.

Yes, that is the plan. Meet at Dinkey on Thursday night, then drive into Grouse Lake on Friday morning. Drive out on Saturday, back to Dinkey for dinner. Sunday we'll do Bald Mtn.

Last edited:
It will be chilly at night (40+/-), and nice during the day (around 75 unless its raining). I have been up there on a July day, when it was 80+ degrees then it got cold enough that night to freeze the edge of Brewer Lake. Best to pack warm clothes and a good sleeping bag, because you never know.

Thanks I hate hot.

I have a boatload of repairs and mods to do on my junk.
I hope to go.

So is anybody doing runs Friday and Saturday from the base camp at Dinkey Creek?

The reason i ask is, i was going to be coming with my little ones and my mom, who will be out here from Australia at the time. I didnt really want to roll up Thursday night to camp and leave early Friday morning for wheeling and be out untill Saturday night. My Mom would be staying at Dinkey camp with my girls while im out wheeling, so I'd rather be back at Dinkey Friday night.

Im unfamiliar with the area, so im not too sure how far away from camp the trails are for day runs?

Well, in what you're driving, you could run the trail with the group to the lake, hang out for awhile, then drive back to base camp. Sat play around Dinkey Creek, maybe take the girls swimming in the creek, or go and check out the redwwods, then be there when the gang gets back to base camp.

Well, in what you're driving, you could run the trail with the group to the lake, hang out for awhile, then drive back to base camp. Sat play around Dinkey Creek, maybe take the girls swimming in the creek, or go and check out the redwwods, then be there when the gang gets back to base camp.

Perfect... sounds like a plan :D

BTW, you can drive your rig right out of camp to the trail if they run it from south to north. Come back the same way.

Sunday we'll need to tow to the Bald Mtn trailhead.

Back