• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FRONT END NOISE 1999 JEEP XJ 4X4

SPIKEHORN

NAXJA Forum User
I am a new member as of about 15 min.ago. I am hoping to keep my Jeep in tip top condition. Got wheel wander and whirring sound coming from left front. Bearing hub assy? Please help!
Thanks,
SPIKEHORN:helpme:

SPIKEHORN said:
I am a new member as of about 15 min.ago. I am hoping to keep my Jeep in tip top condition. Got wheel wander and whirring sound coming from left front. Bearing hub assy? Please help!
Thanks,

Usually if it is the hub, the sound changes when you turn the wheel because the load on the bearings change.
Try turning the wheel left-right.
While driving:)

Sounds like a hub to me, especially if you're feeling wander along with it. Sometimes if the bearing surfaces are pitted or spalled, there will be no discernible play in the bearing, and the sound won't change much with steering. If it does change, or there is play, it's definitely the bearing, but if it doesn't, don't stop there: jack up the wheel and turn it to feel and listen for roughness or rumble. It should be smooth.

Wheel wonder sounds like Jeep design/worn out tie rod ends in the steering system. Whirrling sound is almost definately wheel hub/bearing unless you have knobby and/or out of balance tires.

MATT, FALCON AND 88,
Thanks for your input. I replaced the left hub this afternoon. The sounds are GONE! One little problem though... I hear some clunking coming from the left front when turning/backing. Maybe I didn' t torque things enough. Can I please ask you fellas to pick your brains again? Y'all have been quite helpful. I REALLY appreciate your assistance. Site is AWESOME!
SPIKEHORN:confused:

Back