• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting stock 2wd to stock 4wd

I think you might be a bit lost, cz94xj... first of all you're somewhat derailing the thread, second, a lot of the parts won't swap over easily (already been explained in detail earlier in the thread why), third, you are in California, the thread creator is in Maryland, and the guy who offered some parts (1975Ironhead) is in Tennessee.

Shipping alone to move any of these parts between any of you guys will cost more than the parts would at your local junkyard, most likely.

I think you might be a bit lost, cz94xj... first of all you're somewhat derailing the thread, second, a lot of the parts won't swap over easily (already been explained in detail earlier in the thread why), third, you are in California, the thread creator is in Maryland, and the guy who offered some parts (1975Ironhead) is in Tennessee.

Shipping alone to move any of these parts between any of you guys will cost more than the parts would at your local junkyard, most likely.

My apoligez. im all over the place haha.
let me begin by starting fresh. i recently purchased a 94 xj 2wd i been super excited on getting one for months so i jumped on this deal that i found by my house. its a 94 xj H.O. with a used engine put in it with under 100,000 miles on it. i got it for 1200 bucks and the guy was located a few blocks away from. but was does get to me that its not 4wd i dont want to sell and BUY a 4wd. im willing to put time and effort into my jeep. so i been reading and i see that alot people suggest the same year but i havnt come across one around my year usually only like a 89 or 96 in the junkyards i go to. i really want to convert my jeep to 4wd. i havnt seen a list of what i exactly need as in parts
help will be highly appreciated:)

all the parts you need should be on any 91-95 4wd 4.0. You can go as far forward as 97 and as far back as 87 if you aren't afraid of reducing your spare parts supply and/or increasing the complexity of the swap, as far forward as 99 if you don't mind further increasing it, and as far forward as 01 if you don't mind ending up with a slightly less desireable low pinion front axle.

all the parts you need should be on any 91-95 4wd 4.0. You can go as far forward as 97 and as far back as 87 if you aren't afraid of reducing your spare parts supply and/or increasing the complexity of the swap, as far forward as 99 if you don't mind further increasing it, and as far forward as 01 if you don't mind ending up with a slightly less desireable low pinion front axle.

ok so basically if i can get a hold of the same year the swapping should be the easiest and other years ouldnt be as easy ?
as for a parts list ?

same year or close is best. 91-95 should be either bolt in or damn close to it.

I believe I have posted the parts list several times in this thread, not sure.

same year or close is best. 91-95 should be either bolt in or damn close to it.

I believe I have posted the parts list several times in this thread, not sure.

hahah cool im going to start my hunting this weekend for parts.
i hant seen a detailed list on parts. i would like to see it so when i go i know exactly what im looking for

thanks for the help all this is new for me.

here ya go -
front axle from a 91-99 (95 or so and later are preferable in this case, make sure it has same gear ratio as your rearend)
front driveshaft from an 87-01 with the same engine and transmission as yours
shifter linkage and all nuts and bolts for it plus the console bezel
transmission and transfer case from a 91-95 (auto or manual? I am assuming auto here)
rear driveshaft from a 91-95 4x4 with the same engine, transmission, and rearend as yours

there are some other things you will need to do to make the 4wd indicator lamps on the dash work, I didn't bother.

here ya go -
front axle from a 91-99 (95 or so and later are preferable in this case, make sure it has same gear ratio as your rearend)
front driveshaft from an 87-01 with the same engine and transmission as yours
shifter linkage and all nuts and bolts for it plus the console bezel
transmission and transfer case from a 91-95 (auto or manual? I am assuming auto here)
rear driveshaft from a 91-95 4x4 with the same engine, transmission, and rearend as yours

there are some other things you will need to do to make the 4wd indicator lamps on the dash work, I didn't bother.

ok thanks :):):):)
yeah as far as the in dash lights thats the least ofmy concerns. so i got the list now as for labor whats the estimated time once i have everything i need

kinda like this
yugo_monster.jpg

@kastein

HAH! Good news have I got, indeed. Turns out I met a long-lost buddy, who used to operate with my unit, within a detachment of very interesting people (ahem). He has his own shop, and nearly had a fit when I mentioned I didn't have a place to do my XJ conversion. Need to finish a project so the shop has room for the XJ. What project, did you ask? Well...

Last weekend helped him to finish his modded vehicle. Body and chassis of a honest-to-god, soft-top, '77 Toyota FJ40 ( a/k/a Land Cruiser, a/k/a Bandeirantes, a/k/a Macho ), which had already 1.5ton axles modified with GM 2.5ton differentials, receiving a GM small-block V8 350 (in³). Mounts were soldered on, engine housing cut to fit. Engine itself was just factory block; everything else custom, from crankshaft to valves, with a nice, souped up GM transmission (auto) from a Heavy Duty Silverado/3500, fuel cell from an actual, mil-spec humvee (thus nearly bullet-proof, and self-sealing, don't ask how he got it). Estimated HP/Torque sits at just about 375bhp/550lb-ft (no dynamo test done, YET). Nice 7ton winch. Ground clearance, about 4ft+
icon_mrgreen.gif
It took ME a little reaching and swinging to get inside the cab. All done in beige for the body, black powder for chassis and roll cage, fire-engine-red engine block, chrome for every single engine fitting and extras, flat brushed steel skid plates, braided steel lines aaaaall over, jet-black rims. I think the reduced-gear starter alone has more hp than a SmartCar or Prius
icon_twisted.gif

Trail-head pr0n, that's what that is.
icon_lol.gif

Caught the thing halfway done, so I missed the sparks of metal works, but had the chance to get grease-on-hands on engine and whatnot. It's running, now needs to be finished, i.e. have the shafts connected, fluid lines tested and body painted to the final coat. Can hardly wait for that to be painted and out of the slot, so I can start my XJ. In the mean time, I've been sold on the 2-3" lift. :giggles: >=)

A few YEARS late, but brief report...

Lift was finished couple weeks after last post. Since then, have done a bit to it, but the lift itself hasn't changed. Pic above is a couple months ago, installing a matching rear bumper to the aftermarket front one, a Smittybilt XRC, with loop.

Said friend - who owned shop where lift was done - and I crafted a home-brew NICE rear bumper, 3/8" steel, with a swing gate, basket and jerry can + jack storage. It was barebones, initially, and we had a lot planned to do to it, including low rear quarter panels, and a "skin" to make it pretty. Unfortunately, said friend has signed out off the net, leaving me and others with fewer peeps. So, I lost heart to continue the project, and just slapped an aftermarket.

Anyways. D-U-N, and reported. Threads are a conservative, but cool and solid MTZ Baja 31". They do the trick.

Back