• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cowl hood the right way

nice work! Looks very similar to mine..
5ov4w3.jpg

That's an amazing job! I love the idea! I think if it were me I'd want a hole with a screen up front also to help force feed air into the engine compartment like a ram air setup. I'm more of a square corner's kind of fabricator I don't have a fancy rolling tool ;)

That's an amazing job! I love the idea! I think if it were me I'd want a hole with a screen up front also to help force feed air into the engine compartment like a ram air setup. I'm more of a square corner's kind of fabricator I don't have a fancy rolling tool ;)
the cowl is to let heat out

Very nicely done!

FYI:
Though this one appears to be for show and to let some heat out...

The original purpose for cowl hoods was to take advantage of the high pressure area in front of the windshield to stuff air into the air intake.

What happens at low speed, crawling, the cowl lets hot air out.
But at high speeds, 55mph, the base of the windshield is a high pressure area and outside air will actually be forced into the cowl and underhood. What you need up front is not a ram-scoop but a vent or a backwards scoop because at the front of the hood is a low pressure area and then the hot underhood air will come out there. This same up front vent at low speed will also let out hot underhood air.

That being said, I still want a cowl hood. OP did a great job. I wish I had half of his fab skills.

You're both correct, sitting at idle you can feel heat being blown out of the cowl. I'm hoping it helps keep the jeep cooler as it gets warm when we start pushing some trails. It just does the opposite going down the highway, the high pressure created by the air ramming into the windshield actually pushes it into the cowl. The other day I was cruising into town and noticed a leaf stuck to the screen until I came to a stop and it blew off.

I'm new to jeeping so it hurts to put dents and scratches in the toy but we've already had it to 3 different ORV parks this year and it's got worked :)

402703_10151350056220595_882295594_23241157_297938418_n.jpg

Sorry I'm not interested in building any. Its pretty time conuming and would cost more than you'd want to pay but now you know how I did it!

wow that is so nice.

Very Very nice work. It's hard to see in the pictures but did you use metal dowels for the structural pieces? I'm assuming you removed them after you welded in the sides?

Jim

Back