• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Unicorn - a light duty trail rig

Sitting in a drive thru this week the temp on my mirror read 107. It was mid 70's out, i had the windows rolled down and was comfortable.

Definitely getting engine heat on the sensor. Moved it to the grill today, we'll see how that works out.

RfTNhjE.jpg

Now i just need Mark to come over and drop a tune on my ECU bringing the fan on temp down, so that its running all the time and keeps air over the sensor.

Your thread is dangerous for my bank account. I've been looking at the Gentex mirror upgrade for years. Recently had an ongoing issue with my rear view mirror falling off and that was a perfect excuse to buy the 261 and harness.

I have the gentex on mine.....only complaint is the mirror is so heavy, it took multiple attempts, and finally having a shop glue it on, for it to stay more than a few hours.

It would help if you work the adjustment mechanism a good bit before putting it on, so it's not so hard to move.

Sitting in a drive thru this week the temp on my mirror read 107. It was mid 70's out, i had the windows rolled down and was comfortable.

Definitely getting engine heat on the sensor. Moved it to the grill today, we'll see how that works out.

Now i just need Mark to come over and drop a tune on my ECU bringing the fan on temp down, so that its running all the time and keeps air over the sensor.

I also sometimes get increases in temp when sitting at a stop light, or when the front of the jeep has been in the sun, but once I am moving again, it comes back down.

I had no such problem with mine. Stuck it to the factory mount, its been fine. Adjusts easy?

Mine is used off of ebay though, so maybe already worn in?

Your thread is dangerous for my bank account. I've been looking at the Gentex mirror upgrade for years. Recently had an ongoing issue with my rear view mirror falling off and that was a perfect excuse to buy the 261 and harness.

Just wait until I get over my indecision on axles and tires. ;)

Still up in the air on:

30/44, 4.10, grip-pro limited slips, chromos, 31/32" tire, stroker

hp44/hp60 from 4643, detroit/arb, chromos, 32/33" tire, stroker

JK Rubi 44 front/rear, JK lockers, 33" tire, stroker

I can make strong arguments for any path forward.

I'm leaning toward Wagoner D44s, 5.7l V8, 765r4

I have the gentex on mine.....only complaint is the mirror is so heavy, it took multiple attempts, and finally having a shop glue it on, for it to stay more than a few hours.

I have had a similar issue with lightweight mirrors as well. Multiple attempts to stick the wedge back on with different mirror adhesives failed.

I finally gave up and put it in place with JB Clearweld. This was two days ago.

My mirror is brand new and stiff. No problems. I even went a little nuts on the stress test and hit the mirror, hard. Several times. No issues. The mirror is still where it belongs.

JB Clearweld is what you want. Best guess with the old adhesive kits is the bean counters have all raced to the bottom and we are left with a product that does not work.

I even have a thread about my issues with the adhesives. I have replaced my rear view something like 6 times this year. 3 in the last month! The first of those was after having an auto glass professional install it.

Screw all that nonsense. Get yourself some JB Clearweld, duct tape, abd a popsicle stick. Scrape both surfaces. Sand the area the wedge attached to. Take the duct tape and attach to the off side of the wedge, put a thin layer on the business side of the wedge, and stick it in place. Cover with duct tape and press hard for a few minutes. Come back in an hour. You're done.

Last edited:
I'll keep that in mind if it comes off again, but since the glass shop put it on 3 yrs ago, it has stayed put.

Actually, may have to use that, as I need to replace my windshield from some dirt getting under the wipers.

Well, direct sunlight has it reading 20* high until the aux fan kicks on or I get over about 25 mph. I may have to build a bracket to suspend it further back in the grill in front of the mechanical fan.

Please keep us posted on your experience with this. I bought my mirror and harness piecemeal off ebay. 75 bucks. I just received the harness Friday, I'm going to hold off installing till I pull the headliner.

Should be noted, this is not going in an XJ. It's my S10, see sig. I have to pull the headliner to rebuild /recover it and start building an overhead console. In the interim I will run quite a few wires for overhead switchgear and a few dash toys... Dashcam, radar detector, front and rear cameras (truck has in the neighborhood of 11" lift, near sight lines have gone to shit), and maybe some RG cable for comms (I'm a HAM Op). I have every intent to duplicate the efforts in my son's 97 XJ, wife's 94 ZJ, and my 90 XJ, however.

I may have missed a post, is there a reason that you didn't mount the sensor in the stock location? I've never had mine read incorrect by more than a few degrees.

I may have missed a post, is there a reason that you didn't mount the sensor in the stock location? I've never had mine read incorrect by more than a few degrees.

Ignorance?

Where's the stock location?

That's pretty close to where it started out, but when the Jeep gets back from aFe I will crawl under and look at it closer.

I may look for a different sensor that's easier to mount, too.

Now that I'm home.

So I haven't been idle on this, just collecting lots of parts.

Plan is 4" lift
deaver G9's @ 2.75" + shackle relocator + shackle
Pac 4" jeepspeed coil
SFR 3 link

HP30 front
Motive Grip Pro limited slip
4.10 gears
WJ converted (same trackbar setup as 4643)
Ten Factory shafts
Black Magic Brakes

XJ44 rear
iron rock truss
4.10 gears
Motive Grip Pro limited slip
Ten Factory shafts
8.8 backing plates with TJ 44 brakes and black magic pads

285/75/16 Falken Wildpeak MT's on Procomp 16x8 wheels

Bishop Buehl 4.7 stroker, kind of middle of the road build

Atlas 3.8

Bilstein 5100's for now, may do 7100 shortbody's later.

I have almost everything now, I just need to pick up a few odds and ends and make the time to do it. I know Dallas is chomping at the bit to get the 3 link kit buttoned up, I may leave it with him to start working on it but I won't be able to finish things until after KOH.

SusILwF.jpg

mS5IvTj.jpg

0fBz3Du.jpg

KlDNP4t.jpg

PwLNyqg.jpg

Back