• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HD Shackle Relocation brackets rubbing

fallacist

NAXJA Forum User
I installed no lift shackle relo brackets and I'm having some clearance issues. I got the no lift because I already have a bit of rake, so I was hoping to lose a half inch if anything.

My 1" Zone boomerang shackles, and they are rubbing on the inside against the new brackets. I'm not sure if they're bottoming out too, I just hear knocking sound coming from back over very minor bumps (think turning in and out of driveways and parking lots) and I can see where the shackle is scraping. I chopped off a bit of outside of the brackets, but still rubbing on the inside.

I think my angle is solid, the ride feels great, there's definitely improvement there, but I'm hesitant to use a bottom hole- which I'm sure will give me the clearance I need- since I don't want to add any lift. Suggestions?

Angle:
uicQGMF.jpg

Another angle (Some rubbing on the outside):
KTrJP9S.jpg

Rubbing:
Y7GS0ju.jpg

Are those frame bolts tight ?? They don't look it...................

Is there enough clearance between the shackle & the bracket to put 2 thin washers in to space the bracket apart/out some ? (1 on each side of the shackle)

Last edited:
Yeah, they don't look tight in the photos, but they are. I never thought about adding a spacer in between the brackets- could that inhibit the shackle from moving freely as well? I tried bending out the brackets a bit, but they're pretty burly.

Either shim or trim that corner off if that is all that is rubbing. The two sets i have installed i run them on the bottom hole furthest rearward or one hole forward. This gave same height with better angle

Either shim or trim that corner off if that is all that is rubbing. The two sets i have installed i run them on the bottom hole furthest rearward or one hole forward. This gave same height with better angle

This ^^^. I'd play with different mounting locations/shackle angles on that relocation bracket, drop the shackle to the lower level of holes. Could always run it down some rough roads and let it self clearance. Looks like it's halfway there already. Then get some grease in there so it doesn't squeak.

Most of the rubbing is on the inside of the bracket. Nothing really to cut off there. I don't want to gain any lift from these, which is why I was hoping to avoid the bottom holes.

This ^^^. I'd play with different mounting locations/shackle angles on that relocation bracket, drop the shackle to the lower level of holes. Could always run it down some rough roads and let it self clearance. Looks like it's halfway there already. Then get some grease in there so it doesn't squeak.

Ridden it around a bit, it clears, but just makes a loud knock/clunking sounds every time it does it. This just seems like an odd problem to have. Why have the upper holes if they're just going to contribute to rubbing? Am I the only one who has this problem?(Which is typical) I know the obvious solution is to use the bottom holes, but the whole point of ordering No Lift shackles was to not have a lift.

HD Offroad makes a great product and I have the same no-lift brackets on my XJ as well but I did end up exchanging one bracket because it was bent too tight to fit my shackles. Is it possible you just have a poor fit or the shackle bolt is not drilled straight causing the shackle to rub. Rather than post here I would first contact HD Offroad. I found their customer service to be awesome!

Yeah, they don't look tight in the photos, but they are. I never thought about adding a spacer in between the brackets- could that inhibit the shackle from moving freely as well? I tried bending out the brackets a bit, but they're pretty burly.

No more than the brackets themselves right now. You could replace the sleeve inside the bushing as well with something a hair longer as well, but washers are a common fix for this type of issue.

looks like the relocation bracket is twisted because it is installed on top of the hitch... try swapping the hitch and the brackets.

looks like the relocation bracket is twisted because it is installed on top of the hitch... try swapping the hitch and the brackets.

I see what you are saying, but the kit is made to be able to install as he did (they give you spacers to drop the top part of the bracket down as much as the hitch drops the bottom).

I'm going through the same thing - really don't want more height in the rear. No choice but to drop down to the bottom row though as I have you beat handily on the rubbing:

WJxPfFX.jpg

UZaeaRR.jpg

I'm going through the same thing - really don't want more height in the rear. No choice but to drop down to the bottom row though as I have you beat handily on the rubbing:

Those don't even look like shackles made for a jeep the way the ends are bent in.

They are just too wide.

Those don't even look like shackles made for a jeep the way the ends are bent in.

They are just too wide.
Those are Boostwerks comp shackles, they've got a flex joint instead of a bushing. I'm running the same shackles and relocation brackets on my jeep and haven't noticed any rubbing, will go take a closer look when I get home to see if I notice anything different.

the whole point of the boostwerk shackles is to allow the shackle to misalign. bushings in a normal shackle are constantly fighting this misalignment.

you do have another option... trim or grind away where it rubs.

Those are Boostwerks comp shackles, they've got a flex joint instead of a bushing. I'm running the same shackles and relocation brackets on my jeep and haven't noticed any rubbing, will go take a closer look when I get home to see if I notice anything different.

the whole point of the boostwerk shackles is to allow the shackle to misalign. bushings in a normal shackle are constantly fighting this misalignment.

you do have another option... trim or grind away where it rubs.

I know they are boostwerks...and I know they have a flex joint up top and I know why.

I am talking about how you had to pull the ends in to get it tight on the spring.....boostwerks or not, the ends of the shackle should be straight, not bent in.

The fact they they are bent in makes me reconsider getting them if that is how they are gonna work.

what do you mean by bent in exactly?

i see the bushing in the leaf spring deflecting... but maybe what ever else you are seeing is an illusion?

my boostwerk shackles are square and true. they fit the sleeve in the bushing well.

post 11, 1st pic, it looks like the ends of the shackle are pulled in to meet the spring bushing because the shackle end & the spring eye aren't parallel.

I was thinking maybe he got a set for a full size truck that was wider on the spring eye end.

DUH !...OK, I looked at the WHOLE HUGE GARGANTUANLY MASSIVE pic, and now see what's going on.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Last edited:
post 11, 1st pic, it looks like the ends of the shackle are pulled in to meet the spring bushing because the shackle end & the spring eye aren't parallel.

I was thinking maybe he got a set for a full size truck that was wider on the spring eye end.

DUH !...OK, I looked at the WHOLE HUGE GARGANTUANLY MASSIVE pic, and now see what's going on.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Yeah, sorry about that. I thought pics would be resized by the forum's software. Seems like that used to be the case, but maybe not.

Back