• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head gasket recommendation

bigdaddyjlove

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I'm rebuilding the Golen 4.6 stroker for my DD. I have a Hesco aluminum head that I'm going to install while its on the stand. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the head, and can recommend a particular head gasket to use. I removed the head from another jeep in the middle of moving houses, and I misplaced the gasket that was under it.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,

BDJL

I can only speak of a stock block and head but I've used cometics in the past and victor MLS. I like both and would never use a composite gasket.

The most important thing is to get a gasket that fits your build as in engine/head combo (bore/quench height/CR). Then see what's available!

I forgot to add, since you have a aluminum head I strongly suggest getting ARP head bolts so you can get good/even torque.

Already bought the arp head studs. I am (slightly) concerned about running an aluminum head, but it was fine on the last motor.

I believe Tesco resells a MLS gasket from another manufacturer, so MLS is what I was planning to go with.

As far as the calculator.... I used it on muy other stroker, but I built that one. This one was built 10+ years ago and I got it from a friend. I know it's Golen, I helped unpack it from the box. However the vagaries of time have eaten the documentation.

I called Chad Golan, and he's been very helpful. I wanted to know if anyone here might have any experience with the Hesco head.

Thanks four all the input.

Already got the ARP Head studs. I AM(very slightly) concerned about running am aluminum head on the stroker but worst case, I put the old head back on.

As for the calculator, I Am running into some difficulties. I didn't build the bottom end, And the buddy I got this from didn't keep Any documentation.

Chad Golen has been very helpful but it's over10 years Ago'
I actually used that calculator on the last stroker i built

The internal numbers are not that important now, your piston size 3.905". But you can check the deck height and call Hesco to see what the chamber CC's are! What type of piston and dish shape and CC's are they?
If you look here towards the bottom of the page you will see some of the more common gaskets. http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/tech_specs.html

Last edited:
The pistons are Federal Mogul #H802CP-30. They don't seem to be modified or dished any further.

I'll reach out to Hesco. They don't seem to list CC volume on their website.

That shows a being a cast piston with a 15.1cc "D" valve relief. That would effect your CR and Quench height!

Back