• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery opinions

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have been using Optima Red Top batteries since around 2000. I put one in then and it lasted 7 years. I put one in 2007 and it lasted 7 years. I put one in 2014 and after just 3 years and a few months, it needs replacing.

I Need Advice.

I used to love these batteries but apparently the quality has gone way down. I need to find a good battery to fit in my 97 XJ and any advice would be appreciated. I would like to stick with the gel type and price is no issue as I want a quality battery not a cheap one.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
JP

Odyssey

Which model did you get?
Did you have to make any modifications for it to fit and be secured?

Thanks,
JP

PC1500STM

It should drop right in. I just got it last week, so can't tell you much, but it's the other big brand out there. They have been around a while.

Deka intimidator -- AGM

I using them in 2 different vehicles -- no issues -- one of them is 6 years old and sees minimal use -- always turns the starter

I also have a few Sears diehard AGM -- they where rebadged Oddessy batteries for under $200 -- they also run great but Sears stopped offering them a couple years ago

I have a Wal-Mart battery I bought in 2008 for $95. I left the interior lights on a month or so ago. It faltered a little but started right up on the second try. I also have 4 aux lights, trailer lights, and everything works.

If I leave it sitting for more than a week, I put it on the 2A solar trickle charger. I've also taken it off to use on my trolling motor a couple times every summer. Just lucky I guess, but $200 is pretty pricey

Deka. Hands down. I have sold maybe 100 of them in the past 3 years and have never needed to warranty one. There that good.

I run a very high end European repair shop. This is the ONLY battery I would recommend. I did tons of research after I started looking for another supplier when Interstate got bought by Jonson Controls. Varta is another good brand but you cant get them here in the states.

Most all the other brands are made by Johnson Controls (including Interstate) which are garbage.

I have a Wal-Mart battery I bought in 2008 for $95. I left the interior lights on a month or so ago. It faltered a little but started right up on the second try. I also have 4 aux lights, trailer lights, and everything works.
This is when Interstate sold to Walmart and Interstate was a good battery, they stopped in 2009. No surprise, I have seen the older interstates from this era go 10 years.

Last edited:
Optimas have been made in Mexico for several years. quality is garbage.

clyde good info on Deka. thx

Supposedly the Sams Club AGM is a rebadged Deka Intimidator -- Made by East Penn

Not sure about the rest of the Sams club line but it may be worth looking into

I've had good luck with the car quest house brand. Killed multiple times to dead. We're talking like 2-3 volts. After a jump and some 2 footing my 10 min drive home it was weak for a few days, but returned to good power. Had it for 6 years in other jeeps seeing the hot summers and the cold winters. Never let me down when it wasn't my fault. Went out at -12 to start her up. Had 10-40 oil in it and a stroker motor. I bit slow but did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diehard platinum is the same battery with a better warranty. A little bit cheaper too if I recall. Either way that's the route I went. Another plus for the DH, at least in my case is the availability of local Sears stores.

Diehard platinum is the same battery with a better warranty. A little bit cheaper too if I recall. Either way that's the route I went. Another plus for the DH, at least in my case is the availability of local Sears stores.

Unfortunately, I think Sears discontinued the Platinum.

Don't forget. Warranty claims are no good when your out in the middle of nowhere with a cheap battery.

That was THE primary concern when I chose the DH Platinum / Odyssey. I do my best at not confusing price with value.

I have an interstate in my xj. It has followed me through several different vehicles and is still going strong after close to 9 years now.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I currently run a CQ and a O'reilly premium battery in my heeps. One in each of course, I chose to run the dual post 34/78.
Zero issues.
If you want an agm battery, you should be able to pick one up at most any local parts store.
I say this, because the supplier of most of their AGM batteries is East Penn.

Optima quality has gone way down, especially for the price.

Another option (if you do not need/want agm)as 99% of their auto batteries are the same price. MSRp 120$, Motorcraft 34, 34/78, or whatever size you need.

I have an interstate in my xj. It has followed me through several different vehicles and is still going strong after close to 9 years now.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
That is all we used to sell, and the only batt I would trust. Until they got sold to Johnson Controls. They are junk now.

9 years ago? That's still a good one. I wouldn't use another Interstate when the time comes to replace it.

Put an Interstate battery in my Harley 2 years ago. Never abused, my bike ish a highway tourer and I live in the country. Replaced it yesterday, wouldn't take a full charge, load test failed miserably. Factory battery lasted 4 years and still worked but was starting to drag on cold mornings when I replaced it.

Back