• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric/wiring/fuse

Dadselyk

NAXJA Forum User
Figuring out electrical woes just ain't my thing...
While testing the passenger compartment fuses on my 99 xj, I noticed some on the right Row were only showing 4-8 volts. I'm assuming I should be seeing closer to
12 volts ( yes, I had ignition on). How would I go about correcting this?
Thanks in advance for any help...

ignition on -- was jeep running?

8 volts on a low battery, ignition on without the alternator charging isn't out of the question -- heater fan on, radio playing, interior lights -- could easily draw down a weak battery

Now 8 volts engine running then you have an alternator problem

I have never seen a need to test for volts at the fuse box, what fuses/circuits are involved, and what issues due to low voltage are you seeing in the fused circuits ?

Ground connections that are clean and snugly attached are required for full voltage.

Let me give more details. Ignition was on , but engine not running so alternator not giving a boost. Seems like the ones on the left side were 12 volts (or around there). And the ones on the right size were the ones showing less. I don't remember exactly which ones. But it was more than half of them on the right side. Just didn't seem right. How do I find the ground wire (or wires) from the interior passenger side fuse box? I know some grounds go all the way to the back driver side behind where the stock tire was. But is there possibly a closer ground location that may be causing this? Thanks in advance for any help. Like I said...wiring and me don't mix..but I'm trying to learn.

Have you removed the suspect fuses, and inspected/cleaned the fuse and fuse socket ? Water leaks that drip onto the interior fuse box are common, and corrosion on the backside of the interior fuse box is common.

What issues due to low voltage are you seeing in the fused circuits ? I am wondering if you are simply not measuring correctly, or if there is an actual voltage drop ? There are two major grounding points for the dashboard, and what other grounds to check, clean, and measure continuity on would depend on the circuits that measure with low voltage.

standard.jpg

Back