• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Raw fuel coming out exhaust at idle

nrwphoto

NAXJA Forum User
My 98' 4.0 drives down the road fine once it clears it's throat but when at idle the exhaust smell is really strong and it stumbles dropping cylinders and sprays a mist of unburnt fuel out the exhaust pipe. Of course mileage has dropped to 9.5mpg.

The O2 sensors are 2.5 years old but only have about 10k of mileage over them. Computer shows a Lean Code for Bank 1 and PO107 Generic (Manifold absolute pressure/ Baro Sensor Low Input)

Any suggestions on where to start?

Here are my numbers using an Innova 3140 scan tool

Air temp 101
#'s at Idle
_______ Engine Cold _______ Engine Warm
FS 1 ______ CL ______________ CL
FS 2 ______ N/A _____________ N/A
Load ______ 5.9% ____________ 5.9%
ECT F ______ 120 ____________ 199
STFT ______ 21.7 - 32.8 _______ 32.8
LTFT ______ 32 ______________ 32
MAP ______ 17.4 _____________ 13.3 - 17.4
RPM ______ 740 - 800 _________ 693 - 775
Spark Adv _ 8-18 _____________ 6 - 18.5
IAT F ______ 115 _____________ 156
TPS % _____ 14.9 ____________ 14.9
O2S B1 _____ 0 _______________ 0
STFT B1 ____ 22.7 - 32.8 ______ 22.7 - 32.8
O2S B2 _____ 1.02 ___________ .98 - 1
STFT B2 ____ 99.2 ____________ 99.2

Last edited:
O2 bank one at zero. No good. bad sensor or sensor wire is shorted to ground fooling the PCM into thinking engine is running lean.

You can read the results of that in that the STFT 32 % rich. PCM is commanding a rich exhaust, and see also O2 bank 2 running at .98 to 1v (full rich) yet the B1S1 is still reading 0v, so the PCM threw a P0171

Thanks I appreciate it. I didn't think the 0 was good but I couldn't remember what the proper ranges are suppose to be. Looks like I am heading out to chase wires and if that looks good replacing the up stream O2 sensor.

Thanks for the added suggestion scottmcneal

Well I replaced the upstream O2 sensor with a new one this evening and still no change on the scan tool. Still reading 0. So other than chasing wires hoping to find a broken/exposed wire grounding out kind of thing. Any other ideas on what to look for? Thanks again.

Back