• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boostwerks.com turbo XJ build...

Boostwerks.com

NAXJA Forum User
It's taken over two years to begin the final fabrication project to be able to start selling the turbo kits, but I can assure you I'm getting a hell of a lot closer.

Some info on the final design of the kit:

- Based around a readily available 57 trim Borg Warner T3/T4 with a 3" Vband turbine outlet (Retails for $650 new).
- Redesigned log manifold (using solidworks) to better position the turbo, and WG. (should be priced around $700, and warrantied for life).
- I will be selling just the Manifold, along with a seperate 3" DP, external WG option, 1.5" dump tube, and 2" SS charge piping kit. This will allow the end user to "peice" together a kit of their own, OR utilizing the same turbo I'm using get the major fabricated parts covered. This will allow those with no welding capability/fab knowledge to build a quality turbo system for their jeep, as well as those looking to use parts other than what I've developed the manifold for.

Here's the pics to prove it:

Borg turbo:
IMG_2396.JPG

IMG_2397.JPG

IMG_2399.JPG

IMG_2400.JPG

IMG_2401.JPG

Tial 38mm external wastegate:

IMG_2402.JPG

IMG_2403.JPG

IMG_2404.JPG

IMG_2405.JPG

My custom 1/2" CNC'd head flange (only 1/2 pictured) along with the quality SCH40 304ss elbows used in making of the manifold (fully tig welded/backpurged):

IMG_2407.JPG

I will have updated pics of the kit coming soon.

Any questions, comments or concerns are welcome!

Thanks!
Bryson at Boostwerks.com

Last edited:
I crave passing speed.
Looking forward to the kit.
Any ballpark on price?

Hmm thats interesting you are still going back to the log idea. You gonna bag it or the heat soaking of the intake not an issue due to the fact it will sit low?

Im starting my turbo next week oddly enough. It will be a low budget build based on an up pipe.

Good luck and update a lot.

Thanks guys.

I crave passing speed.
Looking forward to the kit.
Any ballpark on price?

I won't have a complete kit, but will sell the main parts to get proper turbo placement and eliminate most of the hard fabrication. All the end customer has to do is collect some small parts to complete the kit. I'll obviously provide a complete list down to the PN's, along where you can source the rest of the parts. With that being said, I don't have any set pricing at this point but if your looking for ball park figures this is the best I can do:

Manifold - $600-$700
3" SS down pipe - $200
external WG option - $75
1.5" WG dump tube - $75
Intercooler kit - $400-500

No one said turbo charging was cheap, but the benefits are priceless. Selling the kits in this way also allow you to choose used parts if your main goal is to keep it cheap as possible. It's entirely possible to build a mild budget turbo setup for under $1500.

CSaddict said:
Hmm thats interesting you are still going back to the log idea. You gonna bag it or the heat soaking of the intake not an issue due to the fact it will sit low?

Im starting my turbo next week oddly enough. It will be a low budget build based on an up pipe.

Good luck and update a lot.

I gotta say man, that was not the reply I was expecting from you. Thanks a lot for the kind words. :cheers:
The log design is simply the best option for what I'm looking for. Most jeep owners are looking for torque, and quick spool along with an inexpensive solution. I truely beleive that the log design is the only solution to both quick spool, and low cost. Sure I could build a tubular design, but I don't think most Jeep owners looking to go turbo are trying to find the small topend advantages they bring.

Also, the design of the log manifold has completely changed from that first manifold (It honestly flat out sucked). The new design is much more compact, mounts the turbo closer to the block, and a full 6"s higher than the previous design. I also had a new 1 peice head flange CNC'd which will make fabrication MUCH easier.

I will definetly be getting the manifold ceramic coated, and fabbing up a heat sheild between the manifolds. I don't think heat soak will be any worse than the factory manifold.

Keep me updated on your setup man! I'd love to see the progress. We definetly need to get more turbo jeeps out there. I'll also be keeping this thread as a "build thread" and updating it often.

We always tend to see things a bit differently but we want the same end result. Im looking forward to the build.

Very interesting. This just might go onto the stroker I have in the works. What piggyback engine management system do you recommend?

~Alex

bout time. Anyhow my bro Nick is in town and will be back from the M.E. for good in Nov. His T3/4 is still collecting dust in the shed(while his XJ is collecting sand) and I just got done telling him a day or two ago that I know someone who's working on a manifold. He finally got to drive the stroker he helped build and for some odd reason, I don't think he'll be satisfied with his.

bout time. Anyhow my bro Nick is in town and will be back from the M.E. for good in Nov. His T3/4(turbonetics .63, iirc--I'm too lazy to search a prev post with the exact #) is still collecting dust in the shed(while his XJ is collecting sand--he took it with him) and I just got done telling him a day or two ago that I know someone who's working on a manifold. He finally got to drive the stroker he helped build and for some odd reason, I don't think he'll be satisfied with his.

Last edited:
Very interesting. This just might go onto the stroker I have in the works. What piggyback engine management system do you recommend?

~Alex

I'll be using the AEM F/I controller. It's really designed for OBDII vehicles, but should work just fine for OBD1s as well. It should be the next thing that I purchase.

lol. I hope this kit's going to happen... this time.

You could probubly say that it's already begun. No worries this time man. :clap:

The cost really isn't that bad, depending upon how much HP it generates.

Some might find it expensive, but compared to ALL of the SC kits on the market it's a steal. Some reasons why:

- air/air intercooled
- MUCH more useable power
- MUCH greater power capability
- will maintain a better low load gas mileage

Glad to see some pics, those of us who would just like to buy a complete kit would you be able to help us out? what is the time line that we might expect for this?

Thanks,
Ravi

damn, the AEM costs more than the kit. My friend runs the AEM EMS in his crx and that thing was like $2k or something like that.

Looking forward to the kit. I'm gonna have to do a rebuild on the engine in a few months, so the thing might be put under the hood around the same time.

Glad to see some pics, those of us who would just like to buy a complete kit would you be able to help us out? what is the time line that we might expect for this?

Thanks,
Ravi

Theres no way I'd be able to offer a complete kit at this point in time. For the time it would take for me to collect small parts and become a vendor for the other various parts, I would have to charge a much higher end price. What I can do however, is give a parts list, and point you towards vendors that carry those parts. You'd be surprised how much this will end up saving the end customer.

I will have everything ready to sell after the 1st of the year. Later on I might be able to offer a more complete kit. But honestly... anyone looking to do this kind of mod needs to be at least capable of sourcing and building the small parts required (oil feed/drain lines, electrical components) along with knowing the basic components and processes of engine tuning.

This is the engine management piggyback unit he is planing on using.
http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory...CategoryID=116

Last time I was looking at that site I could swear that unit controlled the engine timing as well.

~Alex

Yup, thats the one. It says that it retards the timing in the first paragraph ;)

Our vehicles will require that 10-1913 unit which was reccomended for my 99 by a AEM tech.

Would the Split Second PSC1-002 and either an FMU or proper injector setup suffice for the older systems?

I can point to at least one person using the Split Second with an FMU, but he'll be getting rid of the FMU soon in favor of better (I think Ford 5.0) injectors. The main problem is that his turbo is mounted near where the A/C compressor is, because he would otherwise need major modification (ie. what you're doing!) to make it fit anywhere else.

What is the possibility of a manifold for the 2.5L? We all know that these things need some help in power, haha... It would require less materials and therefore work... and there might be a little bit more room to work with...

Back