• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Delete

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to Delete the AC system on my 98. I purchased a Delete pulley set up (napa bk 6601819). My question is this... When I remove the plumbing is there anything specific I need to do? Specificly the lines going into the firewall? Anything I should do with the electrical hook ups. ect. I don't use the AC and the likelyhood that I will ever get OBA going is slim to none. I figure that its a good time to delete unneeded parts in the engine bay.

nothing special is required for the lines (after they are evacuated) unless you are going to ever want to reinstall the system. Personally, I'd cap them off with rubber caps just in case you change your mind-- it's a pain to flush or replace the evaporator if you don't have too.

power wire that runs through the low pressure switch should be insulated from accidental grounding/shorting and tied off.

If it works and you don't use it, I'd just leave it alone personally... if it's busted it's probably the evaporator, no point capping the lines after removing it, if you ever change your mind you'll have to replace the evaporator anyways. Like Shorty said, yank it all out and insulate any wires.

I jumped the clutch this afternoon and the compressor kicked on so... Im going with it works. Its not charged as far as I can tell though. I rarely if ever use ac in any of the cars I drive so I see no use for it. Just seems like more stuff to break. Ive been looking into changing my serp for a few weeks now as well so I figure why not pull the whole shooting match while Im in there. Also figured I might be able to pass the compressor on to someone who could actually get some use out of it.

Finaly had enough time to istall the delete pulley today. fit up very nicely. I used the supplied "washer" to align the pulley. Also purchased (3) M8 1.25 35 bolts as the supplied seemed a little to long.
ac020.jpg

Decided to bump myself on this... I was having a belt squeak that was ticking me off, thought that I had narrowed it down to the harmonic balancer going out. So I replaced that this afternoon. While I was diagnosing I noticed a shimmy in the pulley for the delete. After taking the pulley off and giving it a spin it appears there is a bit of play in the bearing. I have been unable to find any replacement pulley without having to buy a whole new delete kit, and at sixty bucks a kit feeling a bit trapped.

If anyone has a part number of a replacement pulley without having to buy a whole kit I would appreciate the help. Off to the googles now to see what I can find.

Another thought... has anyone done a delete and used a different pulley/ serpentine combo to negate having to use the doorman part?

Last edited:
if you can find a parts store with an actual catalog, there's a few companies that list idler and tensioner pulleys by size. you just need to know the width and outside diameter of the pulley, and the inside diameter of the bearing.
I know there are listings online for gates and dayco pulleys listed that way. that's how I got a replacement pulley for my factory ac delete bracket.

Ill check with the napa on Monday and see if they can help. I just did a quick cruise through dayco and gates, but did not find an immediate fit. Any chance you can pull a part number off of your pulley?

I'm pretty sure the pulley you'd want is a gates #38019....or whatever equivalent. Any decent parts place should be able to interchange the number.

I just got back from napa... The parts guy was unable to find a replacement pulley. He did go back in the system and find my purchase and was nice enough to hook me up with a swap. Weirdness here though. Doorman delete pulley for a 98 Cherokee was $56, the 95ish whatever my part number from above is for 96 down Cherokee, no longer in the system... so not sure what to make of this, but I am finding it hard to believe dorman is the only person in the world that makes a pulley to be used in a non sanden ac vehicle???!!!

more searching today and I found an old post here with a parts diagram from a 93. the schematic shows the 93 factory delete was a bushing and pulley. The pulley is a part number 53002903. It appears this item is out of production, but I will keep searching.

First of all... start using rockauto.com. They have that dorman delete pulley kit for $33.

Second, I'm pretty sure that pulley is the same as another one in there, I just can't remember which. I definitely bought a replacement AC delete pulley for my 88 for like 9 dollars at one point, the only difference was that the weird washer/bushing sleeve shaped thing that goes between the mounting bolt and the bearing had to be ground down so it would clear the pulley body.

There should be a number on the bearing that is mounted to the pulley. Since that is what is bad, I'd try to replace just the bearing if the pulley is still good.

I have been all over rock auto, the problem I am finding is that all ac delete pulleys that they are showing are 90mm OD. The dorman replacement is 225mm OD.

Back