• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a winch

jsoKVde.jpg

I decided to just mount it with the supplied brakcet in this orentation above.

Was going to do it like this below but didn't like the cables hanging from the bottom.

yms6O0U.jpg

IoLdvoW.jpg
LvH1yMu.jpg

U1vGHud.jpg

Hopefully these work. This was a rough mock up I did last week with the harbor freight hitch mount. The mount is pretty whimpy but I'm sure it'll be just fine.

jsoKVde.jpg

I decided to just mount it with the supplied brakcet in this orentation above.

Was going to do it like this below but didn't like the cables hanging from the bottom.

yms6O0U.jpg

IoLdvoW.jpg
LvH1yMu.jpg

U1vGHud.jpg

Hopefully these work. This was a rough mock up I did last week with the harbor freight hitch mount. The mount is pretty whimpy but I'm sure it'll be just fine.

I'd be super worried about the lack of protection. Why not mount it on the bumper in the holes provided so it's out of danger?

That receiver tube mount looks scary(tied into sheetmetal), what do the bumper mounts look like? It might not be suitable/safe for winching.

I'd be super worried about the lack of protection. Why not mount it on the bumper in the holes provided so it's out of danger?

It has to be mounted to the hitch mount in some fashion so the winch remains removable. It's only rotated 90 degrees from where Warn tells you to mount it (on top of the motor) which is actually more vulnerable that how I have it now ( behind the motor).

That receiver tube mount looks scary(tied into sheetmetal), what do the bumper mounts look like? It might not be suitable/safe for winching.

The bumper mounts are 1/4" plate (3) holes per side and then it ties into the front cross section with (2) more bolts. The entire bumper is made from 1/4" plate from what I can tell. I'll take some pics of the mounts and the receiver tube.

It has to be mounted to the hitch mount in some fashion so the winch remains removable. It's only rotated 90 degrees from where Warn tells you to mount it (on top of the motor) which is actually more vulnerable that how I have it now ( behind the motor).

I wasn't talking about the controller, I meant the whole winch is a rock magnet sticking out like that. But, I also didn't know you wanted it removable so I guess you'll only have it on when you're winching and can control how much it's scraping on rocks easier than if you're driving around with it always mounted.

I wasn't talking about the controller, I meant the whole winch is a rock magnet sticking out like that. But, I also didn't know you wanted it removable so I guess you'll only have it on when you're winching and can control how much it's scraping on rocks easier than if you're driving around with it always mounted.

Oh ok, yeah it's not my first choice but If I'm heading towards an obstacle that's going to interfere, I'll just through it in the back. The hoop is kinda of a buzzkill too, didn't realize the angle of it until I had the bumper on. Most of the others I've seen, it's much more vertical tipped back towards the grill.

i understand the merit in having it removable, but here is my thing... ive been stuck a lot of time where just getting the receiver into the bumper would just not be possible, forward or back. ive also been in situations where i needed to get to the winch line QUICKLY to secure a vehicle in a dangerous situation. when you REALLY need a winch... you are going to wish it was mounted onto the bumper. but thats an arguement im sure somone has made to you. i also would not want to be under the hood trying to make electrical connection and keep 4AWG out of danger. furthermore, i shortened all my leads... at full load those long leads provide a ton of resistance. winches can pool a ton of amperage. even with upgraded main cables and a bigger alternator, it gives my charging system a work out.

but im sure these are all points youve heard already.

VAhasnoWAVES has a good point about the cable size. My winch is mounted to the bumper and wired with 2/0 fine strand cable and get a little warm when the winch is under a heavy load. I would suggest a couple of things: 1 increase your cable size, 2 I would have a separate set of cables for front and rear. Put quick connects on the winch and cables. 3 mount the cables to the rear in a permanent manner along the frame rails (never run high amperage cables in the passenger area due to fire risk)

Finally if you don't have experience in recovery find someone who does and have them teach you. Recovery with a winch is a hazardous task to undertake. Don't take any shortcuts.

The bumper mounts are 1/4" plate (3) holes per side and then it ties into the front cross section with (2) more bolts. The entire bumper is made from 1/4" plate from what I can tell. I'll take some pics of the mounts and the receiver tube.

If that's the factory 3 bolt locations, then the bumper wasn't built for winching!

i understand the merit in having it removable, but here is my thing... ive been stuck a lot of time where just getting the receiver into the bumper would just not be possible, forward or back. ive also been in situations where i needed to get to the winch line QUICKLY to secure a vehicle in a dangerous situation. when you REALLY need a winch... you are going to wish it was mounted onto the bumper. but thats an arguement im sure somone has made to you. i also would not want to be under the hood trying to make electrical connection and keep 4AWG out of danger. furthermore, i shortened all my leads... at full load those long leads provide a ton of resistance. winches can pool a ton of amperage. even with upgraded main cables and a bigger alternator, it gives my charging system a work out.

but im sure these are all points youve heard already.

They have been made yes. I plan to have it on the truck before even hitting the trail. I just want to remove it when it's sitting in my driveway, me being at work all day long and to keep the weather off of it. I ordered some Anderson connectors like you'd see on a fork truck battery, they for #2 AWG wire and will work if I need to quickly remove the winch. I will shorten the leads if I see fit, the extra foot or so isn't going to make a huge difference, these are the cables that came with it, so they're 5' at most.

VAhasnoWAVES has a good point about the cable size. My winch is mounted to the bumper and wired with 2/0 fine strand cable and get a little warm when the winch is under a heavy load. I would suggest a couple of things: 1 increase your cable size, 2 I would have a separate set of cables for front and rear. Put quick connects on the winch and cables. 3 mount the cables to the rear in a permanent manner along the frame rails (never run high amperage cables in the passenger area due to fire risk)

Finally if you don't have experience in recovery find someone who does and have them teach you. Recovery with a winch is a hazardous task to undertake. Don't take any shortcuts.

Thanks for the advice. 1. I hear what you're saying but up front the run is very short, I could see using larger cable to run to the back but even Warn said to just use #2 copper, which is what it comes with. 2 & 3. I have #2 copper welding cable to run from the battery back to another Anderson plug that's attached to the truck.

I don't have a lick of experience in recovery but there's some good info further back in this thread. I don't have any buddies that wheel, so I've been educating myself with military operation recovery guides and becoming a YouTube warrior. If anyone wants to school me, I'll buy the beer :cheers:

If that's the factory 3 bolt locations, then the bumper wasn't built for winching!

Unfortunately it's those 3 factory holes. I understand it's not ideal but it's what I have. There's an additional 2 bolts across the front but this is most likely a home built bumper. I could always make some plates for each side that tie into the holes further back on the unibody, maybe this winter.

Don't use your winch until you do! Here's the bumpers plates(standard template) I cut out when I built my winch bumper!
27360001_zpspdwchnda.jpg

Don't use your winch until you do! Here's the bumpers plates(standard template) I cut out when I built my winch bumper!
27360001_zpspdwchnda.jpg

I'm not pulling it back off this year, maybe over the winter. I have a trip planned in a few weeks, so if it breaks, it breaks. I'm out of gas with this project, just getting involved in the hobby and I'm about ready to throw in the towel. Anyone need an XJ?

It's a matter of SAFETY, not breakage! Not just to you but others around you or counting on you!

It's a matter of SAFETY, not breakage! Not just to you but others around you or counting on you!

I understand it's for safety. If I had the bumper or funds laying around, I would do something about it but I don't right now so..... it'll have to wait. Thanks for sharing your concerns and information.

They have been made yes. I plan to have it on the truck before even hitting the trail. I just want to remove it when it's sitting in my driveway, me being at work all day long and to keep the weather off of it.

I have a Logan's bumper and can put on or take off my winch in 15-20 min, less if I don't run the wires up to the battery.
Your bolt holes are a lot more accessible

Another option is some Factor 55 winch bolts and a water proof cover if you decide to just leave it on.

I have a Logan's bumper and can put on or take off my winch in 15-20 min, less if I don't run the wires up to the battery.
Your bolt holes are a lot more accessible

Another option is some Factor 55 winch bolts and a water proof cover if you decide to just leave it on.

I thought about bolting it on and off each time but then I lose the ability to put it on the back, which is part of the reason to do this in the first place.

I'd have to find a winch plate if I left it on the bumper, there's no where to mount the fairlead currently.

Back