• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake lines for 5-6" of lift?

Double Down

NAXJA Forum User
Quick question or if you can direct me somewhere. When I originally did my lift I put on older YJ? brakes lines to make them longer obviously, but as we found out recently, the size of my lift is bigger than what we thought. So when I am at full flex, the brake lines seem to be pretty tight (should they be tight or loose when flexed?). What lines should I be using for a 97XJ with about 6" of lift?

Also, for the rear, that line that runs from my axle up to the frame, vacuum line? That is pretty tight also, where can I pick up more of that or longer version?

Thanks,

Chris

Did you straighten out the bend in the hard lines already? That gives you a few inches more too. I'm running YJ lines on my MJ and they've got plenty of slack but with the short arms and no drop brackets it doesn't flex a whole ton either. :wierd:

The rubber hose on the rear axle's not a vacuum line....probably the diff breather. You can replace that with rubber tubing from the hardware store, or fuel line if you want to get fancy, I forget what size it is...3/8" i.d. or something...just take the hose with you and match it up and get a few extra feet and run it up to the engine compartment while you're at it. :sunshine:

Last edited:
I run YJ front lines with 5.5" springs, and a rear '96 Dakota brake line that is plenty long. This vacuum line you speak of is the axle vent tube, any auto parts store will sell you more at any length.

You would extend the breather line to reduce the chance of it sucking in water and making chocolate frappe of your diff fluid. If you don't ever go more than axle deep then I wouldn't bother but it's just one of those little things you can do to further waterproof your jeep.

For the brake lines I bought new '95 wrangler hoses from the parts store, but I *think* any year YJ works.

album_pic.jpg

I actually need to extend my lines, at full droop you can play mysic on them. They are the YJ lines BTW.

John

Double Down said:
Cool, I'll check out the YJ lines

Chris

tried searching?

search "yj lines"

Double Down said:
?

Not sure what ya mean. I meant I will look into to getting some of the YJ lines now that I know there are probably what I need.

Chris

yes - a search for "brake lines" shows 500+ results

and on the front 15 that come up, there are 5 that would point you in the direction of YJ lines - INCLUDING ONE called YJ Lines???

Chris - i thought better of you

Jeesh...well sorry to let you down.

Didn't know if the lines I put on my XJ were YJ or not but that's the first thing that came to mind for some reason. Second, I could search every single post about brake lines but it doesn't mean they have to do anything with 6" of lift and what people have experienced...WHICH IS WHY in the first part of my post I wrote "Quick question or if you can direct me somewhere". Nobody had to write anything, just had to say, YJ is what you need, search for YJ. I would have gone, "oh, thanks, I will search for YJ since that IS what I need to look for"

Smarter not harder...I asked and people responded quickly because they wanted to, didn't have to search 500+ plus posts just to find one simple answer to my specific problem.

And truth is, I have no idea who you are XJ_ranger, but until you put me through your frickin birth canal, keep the patronizing mom & dad lines to yourself please.

At least if you're going to say "Chris - I thought better of you", throw on a big dark helmet, breath heavily, and be holding a phat light saber.

Double Down said:
And truth is, I have no idea who you are XJ_ranger, but until you put me through your frickin birth canal, keep the patronizing mom & dad lines to yourself please.

LOL :)

Double Down said:
At least if you're going to say "Chris - I thought better of you", throw on a big dark helmet, breath heavily, and be holding a phat light saber.

Take that... Ranger :laugh:

Damn, you'd have to be pretty young to come through this web wheelers birth cannal. Ranger's profile has his birth date on October 23, 1986 .

Double Down said:
Jeesh...well sorry to let you down.

Didn't know if the lines I put on my XJ were YJ or not but that's the first thing that came to mind for some reason. Second, I could search every single post about brake lines but it doesn't mean they have to do anything with 6" of lift and what people have experienced...WHICH IS WHY in the first part of my post I wrote "Quick question or if you can direct me somewhere". Nobody had to write anything, just had to say, YJ is what you need, search for YJ. I would have gone, "oh, thanks, I will search for YJ since that IS what I need to look for"

Smarter not harder...I asked and people responded quickly because they wanted to, didn't have to search 500+ plus posts just to find one simple answer to my specific problem.

No worries - i just thought you wre the type of person to search a little more..

I seem to remember you from before and had a good impression of you from before - and honestly expected that you would search.

nothing more.

oh - and you can suck my phat lightsaber whenever you want.

Gonna be at Winterfest 06? Id like to meet you for real. :D

and XJAdiction - yeah - im 19 what about it? :D

Back