• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can you convert a pre 97 xj to an automatic belt tensioner?

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all I am getting ready to pull the motor on my XJ in a month or so and begin my rebuild. I plan on fulling building the XJ up now that I got my dream job and money isn't really that much of a concern. What I am curious about, is can I make my 1995 4.0 use the auto belt tensioner on the later models? What is required and how hard is the swap? Thanks guys

Okay so not the automatic tensioner per se, but the one that you use a breaker bar with a socket head and turn and the belt comes directly off, vs mine that has to remove to air box and loosen 40 nuts and loosen a long bolt to remove belts

Wj and tj had them but require removal of ac and mechanical fan and relocation for the alternator. And you'd have to find the bracket. Ive had a wj bracket for like 5years and still haven't done it. I really do hate manual tensioners though.

Yeah I am happy with the 4.0 for what I use it for. I just cannot stand that replacing belts takes 30 minutes on my motor and 2 on newer motors. Maybe I will look for a newer model motor and rebuild it instead.

Okay so not the automatic tensioner per se, but the one that you use a breaker bar with a socket head and turn and the belt comes directly off, vs mine that has to remove to air box and loosen 40 nuts and loosen a long bolt to remove belts

What you're describing is an automatic tensioner.

I don't know if the 1995 and 1997-2001 models are the same.

My rigs are all 97+. It only takes a few seconds. I loosen the idler pulley with a long zero offset wrench and then use a cordless ratchet with an extension and 15mm socket to move the idler far enough that I can get the belt off. The fans, shrouds, and air box are not involved.

I think '96 to '01 all use the same idler pulley/tension adjustment system.

I hate that 15mm bolt in the middle of the idler pulley. I have found a line wrench that has about the right offset, but so far that is the only tool I have found to do that job halfway gracefully. I am thinking of welding up a couple of "wrenches" using 15mm sockets.

A spring loaded tensioner would be nice.

I think '96 to '01 all use the same idler pulley/tension adjustment system.

I hate that 15mm bolt in the middle of the idler pulley. I have found a line wrench that has about the right offset, but so far that is the only tool I have found to do that job halfway gracefully. I am thinking of welding up a couple of "wrenches" using 15mm sockets.

A spring loaded tensioner would be nice.

Having the same problem on my XJ,s. The solution--got a 1/4" drive battery operated ratchet wrench and a 15mm 1/4" socket(Snap-on$) and it will spin that bolt just fine.

96 at least my buddies is just like my 95 this would be great but just buy a daily belt and they last a good long while. What uses a 15mm? My 95 takes a 13mm to loosen the ps.pump and I use a stubby ratchet wrench so I don't whack the radiator and it takes me about 10 minutes.
Motor mounts are different 97+ I've got a friend who tried to put my spare (93) motor in his 99 grand and it wouldn't bolt it not a simple deal for him.

Maybe that helped.

Sent from my Arse because my hands are full

96 at least my buddies is just like my 95 this would be great but just buy a daily belt and they last a good long while. What uses a 15mm? My 95 takes a 13mm to loosen the ps.pump and I use a stubby ratchet wrench so I don't whack the radiator and it takes me about 10 minutes.
Motor mounts are different 97+ I've got a friend who tried to put my spare (93) motor in his 99 grand and it wouldn't bolt it not a simple deal for him.

Maybe that helped.

motor mount issue was cuz his was a grand...motor mounts are not the same at all..may have the same engine, but the rest of the mount area isn't the same

My 96 takes a 15 mm.

What's a daily belt ??

Last edited:
Yeah I am happy with the 4.0 for what I use it for. I just cannot stand that replacing belts takes 30 minutes on my motor and 2 on newer motors. Maybe I will look for a newer model motor and rebuild it instead.

If you are rebuilding your 1995 motor anyway than do what I did and upgrade your intake manifold at the same time to the later horseshoe manifold. Mine is ported to match my ported Pottenger head. The newer manifold requires a different power steering pump and brackets and uses the much easier to deal with belt adjuster. BTW no need to upgrade the whole motor, just the manifold pump and brackets. I found my manifold in a JY off a later Grand Cherokee.

Maybe that helped.

It's because your bracket is more or less like the early Renix, with two bolts in slotted holes behind, a pivot bolt on top, a lock nut on the bottom, and an adjusting bolt on the side. I'll look at mine tomorrow and assess the simplicity of swapping, as I have both yours and a 96 like the others describe.

It bolts to the water pump and the block, and adds an idler. Probably have to change the manifold.

Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel- just learn to use tools. It's *not* that big a deal.

I honestly have come to prefer the manual tensioner in the XJs. Its reliable, I get to set the tension, I don't have to hold the spring with one hand while feeding the belt with the other.

I honestly have come to prefer the manual tensioner in the XJs. Its reliable, I get to set the tension, I don't have to hold the spring with one hand while feeding the belt with the other.

I'm with you. I have an '87 and an '01 and neither are difficult to deal with. I seem to recall on one, maybe both...or on my son's '95, accessing the back bolts from under the vehicle.
Compared to vehicles that I have worked on with auto tensioners it's comparable, even easier than some.
Having a stubby ratcheting wrench is a big plus.

Back