• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whining noise

Mikel

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
My 95 (4.0 5sp) has started to make a wistling whiny noise that is RPM-dependent. It starts as a soft wistle and will go away all of the sudden. I have not been able to point out what's causing it, but seems to come from the A/C pump, alternator or water pump area. The A/C pump is not turning, and turning the A/C on makes no difference. I'm starting to think a bearing in the alternator may be going bad, or maybe in the water pump. But why would the noise go away so suddenly? What could be causing this?
Thanks,
Mikel

I have the same thing, maybe, but I can only hear it in the car while taking off from a light and then cruseing at around 20-30MPH at 1300RMPs. It is very easy to hear and everyone can hear it. It just sound like a light whistle. I have yet to find it.

Check the idler pulleys. They can make a noise that comes and goes. The little flat-surfaced one at the top is usually the first to fail. In my experience the water pump is more likely to rattle, and sound similar to piston slap.

Just for the record, the noise has been gone for the last couple of weeks. I guess now I'll have to wait until something breaks to locate the problem :)

Mikel said:
Just for the record, the noise has been gone for the last couple of weeks. I guess now I'll have to wait until something breaks to locate the problem :)

Was your wife in the passener seat? That contributes to a lot of whining noise in my Jeep :D :D

I'm single... Most of the whining I hear stops when I stop the engine :D

SCW said:
Was your wife in the passener seat? That contributes to a lot of whining noise in my Jeep :D :D

Back