• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock Recommendation

Murray_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys - '98 2 Door sitting on a 6.5" Iron Rock lift. Needing to upgrade the shocks for ride quality and wanted to touch base here first for suggestions. The Jeep is probably 70% daily driver (hence needing a some ride improvement) and used modestly off-road to go to camp, logging roads, firewood... nothing crazy. Thanks for your thoughts guys!!

That was my first thought as well... I used those in a swap for a '92 that I had on a 4" lift and the improvement was worth while. I saw their shocks listed as topping out at 6" of lift so I wasn't too sure with the "6.5" lift.

I would suggest the 5100s as well. However, I would also suggest that you measure for the shock length you need, rather than going with Bilstein's suggestion for the amount of lift.

Thanks guys... I appreciate the thoughts.

Anyone have experience with the Fox 2.0s? Just covering all bases...

Fox makes a good product, but they tend to be back ordered a lot.

For the same price range look at Bilstein 7100's too.

Iron rock makes a 6.5" kit in short arm and long arm....which is yours? If you are on short arms, drop brackets will do a lot for ride quality. If you are on long arms, disregard.

As for shocks, I have nothing but good to say about bilstein reservoirs

I'm gonna suggest the bilstien 5160's or 7100's.

Prob gonna have to do some measuring to see which is best for your lift. I find the Fox 2.0's to be a bit stiff and the 5100's are stiff as well. My DD is a bimmer so I like a pretty stiff ride but in the XJ I like it a bit softer. I have people complimenting the ride in mine with my 5160's. I didnt use the XJ 5160's though, I have ones designed for the TJ in the front and a pair designed for the front end of a JK in the rear (I liked the valving better). I would give you the P/N's but I only have 4.5" of lift. The 5100's have too much rebound compared to the 5160's.....

Thanks again guys... I have the IRO long arm kit. Thanks for asking that, I should have specified. I am still looking around, a couple house projects came up over the long weekend. there are few things that take priority over the XJ, but the house tends to. haha.

Back