• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 xj clutch switch

ezsk8er

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 96 cherokee se 4wd 5 speed im trying to get it threw inspection the guy is telling me i need a new clutch switch, ive searched the forums and im getting confused, did the 96 xj's come with one, if so where is it located, thank you for your time

I'm pretty sure the 96 does not have one. The 95 definitely does not, but the 99 does. Too bad you posted this tonight instead of last night. My son was here yesterday with his 96, and I could have asked him. I'll email him, but he's slow to answer so some other 96 owner may come up with the definitive answer first. I'm almost positive that his does not have it.

For those unsure of what we're talking about here, we're speaking of a clutch interlock switch that requires the clutch to be depressed before starting.

Since when is a clutch interlock required by inspection? Ask the twit to show you the requirement in the MD code. I can't vouch for a 96 XJ, but my old 95 YJ started in gear without pressing the clutch. I think the later TJs had a fuse you could install to bypass it.

my 96 doesn't BTW, take it somewhere else, he'll probably 'find' more ish wrong.

lawsoncl said:
I think the later TJs had a fuse you could install to bypass it.

yup......I just bought an '01 TJ with the interlock. Plop a 20A fuse in the "auto trans" slot in the fuse block and it completes the circuit to bypass the switch. That was the first mod I did to it :)

Jeff

lawsoncl said:
Since when is a clutch interlock required by inspection? Ask the twit to show you the requirement in the MD code.

clutch switch is considered a safety device which must function according to MD inspection....... but only if it came with it from factory (which it appears that it didn't)

Back