• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Quest for a good 0331 replacement???

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
I've been doing my home work to find a replacement for my 2k XJ. So far I haven't come up with a lot, I've seen the TUSY head and several like it but they are fully loaded heads and I would want bare one! I know that HESCO has a ready to go Aluminum head when I found this one - http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/cylinder-heads/jeep.shtml

I really don't want a Aluminum head on a off-road vehicle, so I called Hesco about their CNC cast bare head and was informed that they don't have any available. I asked them about sending them a head to do a CNC job on and they said that they only do them in "batches" and couldn't even give me a time frame.

I am always poking around about that too. Own a '00. Best I can tell no issues, 155K, but ya know. Just 2 days ago on Craigslist I found a guy, local to me, selling a '03 WJ motor with the TUPY head for $50. I offered him $50 for the head, cause I have no use for the motor (my research indicates it won't work), and he said sure why not. Picked it up yesterday. So best case scenario I have a head that can be rebuilt. Worst case scenario a $50 door stop. At some point I will get it checked and go from there.

Why dont you want an aluminium head for an offroad jeep?

I'd go with aluminum if price isn't the issue. There really isn't a downside...especially considering that you want to "build" the motor. You can run higher compression without detonation, engine will run cooler (all other things being equal), it will be lighter, chamber temps will be more stable, no hot spots, etc.

Otherwise....
http://m.ebay.com/itm/172181168655

Why dont you want an aluminium head for an offroad jeep?

They both have pro's/con's but for my Jeep I would have a much better comfort level with iron!

I'd go with aluminum if price isn't the issue. There really isn't a downside...especially considering that you want to "build" the motor. You can run higher compression without detonation, engine will run cooler (all other things being equal), it will be lighter, chamber temps will be more stable, no hot spots, etc.

Otherwise....
http://m.ebay.com/itm/172181168655

I never worry about the price if I'm getting what I pay for! The Hesco is basically the same price as the Edelbrock but comes with matched int/exh ports and chambers.
As far as your Ebay head, it's about the same price as the rest of the fully loaded heads.

I wouldn't, aluminium has too many advantages.

Call Russ Pottenger and discuss options with him. He may have a TUPY head to sell or make you a deal on a good rebuild head, or convince you to go aluminium - either way, he's the subject matter expert here.

I'm sorry but I don't know who he is?

I'm sorry but I don't know who he is?

Sorry, I forget you haven't been around much lately.

Russ is the local favorite (and the premier) engine/stroker builder, and he's always willing to take a few minutes to answer questions for NAXJA members who need it.

Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Fax (626) 967-7836
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email [email protected]

So I purchased and received my new 0331 head from CCH. It is supposed to be the new design, I was expecting to see a "tupy" casting mark, but it doesn't have one ???

I'm looking at their website and its somewhat confusing.

They are saying "NEW" cylinder heads - which, if they are new, would not say TUPY (tupy was the name of the company who cast the head) - but then they are expecting your core returned, which would imply they are rebuilt heads.

If its a rebuilt head and does not say TUPY, its the original flawed design.

I don't see on their website where you can specify a TUPY vs standard 0331 head either, though.

When you say CCH are you referring to Clearwater? I've always understood them to sell newly made heads in an improved design. Similar improvements to the TUPY head that Chrysler used, but not identical. I'm not sure why they want your core back, unless they wholesale them off or something like that. TUPY is a Brazilian foundry that Chrysler had make the 0331 "TUPY" heads.

I confirmed with Russ a bit ago the CCH heads do not have TUPY in the casting, but are an updated design.

That makes me want to believe the 4.0 is still or recently produced somewhere! I do remember a add stating made in China.

That makes me want to believe the 4.0 is still or recently produced somewhere! I do remember a add stating made in China.

I doubt it. They produced the "clearwater" head simply because of the high frequency of failures of the original 0331 casting.

I have the head as well. Been fairly impressed with it for a raw iron casting. With some port work it seems to be pretty decent (confirmed by Russ as well)

I do wish the edelbrock was available when I was in the market however

I have a few things to complete today, but I got the head on yesterday. To my surprise I couldn't find a crack/warp in my old one!

In response to another thread, I called CCH today and spoke with Kevin. He stated that these are aftermarket Chinese castings and didn't know of any connection to Jeep. I did find some info stating the Chinese 4.0 carried into 2009!

Back