• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I Have The End All Fix For Death Wobble

littlexj1

NAXJA Forum User
after have bad DW (shaking the jelly in your eyes bad) i enbarked on the common endever of trying to solve the DW wows...after countless cheap attemps to fix it last wheeling season i decided to do it right this winter....i relaced everything and in the process i emptied every pocket.....rims, tires, Rustys adj. trackbar, RE drop brackets, rustys YJ design steering conv., rebuilt dana 30 (ball joints, bearings, seals), 2 HD steering stablizers, shocks....and on and on.....the only things i kept were some of the bolts but most of them got replaced in the build... and the pitman arm stayed....and after all that time and money i am proud to say no DW....i still have a little over steer but after an alignment i am sure that will fix itself...so anyone struggling with DW like i was....let me put an end to all the post....if it has mud on it.. replace it, if it was on the jeep from the factory.. replace it, if someone sells a better one.. replace it......get my thinking yet....
i am drive a 91..4.0...30/8.25...on 6 inches and allot of new parts with no mud on them......haha

Congratulations....

Now your CA bushings are gonna act up.....Now go get them new parts muddy.

John

I have a '98 w/130K miles. I have RE Track bar, RE fixed LCA's, RE adjustable uppers. I just put on a Phat Jeeps Steering system and I have no problems with DW at all. The part that's cool about it is I have no steering stabalizers, none. Crappy aftermarket Balljoint on one side and factory on the other. The steering was like $700 delivered but it seems to work nice.

B-loose

98' with 4", 31's 150+K, factory steering parts and stock CAs.
No DW- HaHa! [never had it, never will] :wave:

My "fix": I clean Off the Mud after abusing the Jeep ;) LOL!

ECKSJAY said:
Wait until your Rusty's crap starts to wear in a couple of weeks...
Yeah, but he's got SUCH a great warranty on all his parts..
rolleye.gif
Somehow a great warranty doesn't excuse crappy parts.

maybe i will try that (cleaning the mud off) but i am always so tired after a tough day of wheeling that i always over look that....
i have so many pretty parts now...not sure if i wanna get them dirty.....ya well guys...cannt wait to hit those trails again..
if i had it to do all over i would have build a cage, got a winch, and bought a trailer....next time i guess

littlexj1 said:
after have bad DW (shaking the jelly in your eyes bad) i enbarked on the common endever of trying to solve the DW wows...after countless cheap attemps to fix it last wheeling season i decided to do it right this winter....i relaced everything and in the process i emptied every pocket.....rims, tires, Rustys adj. trackbar, RE drop brackets, rustys YJ design steering conv., rebuilt dana 30 (ball joints, bearings, seals), 2 HD steering stablizers, shocks....and on and on.....the only things i kept were some of the bolts but most of them got replaced in the build... and the pitman arm stayed....and after all that time and money i am proud to say no DW....i still have a little over steer but after an alignment i am sure that will fix itself...so anyone struggling with DW like i was....let me put an end to all the post....if it has mud on it.. replace it, if it was on the jeep from the factory.. replace it, if someone sells a better one.. replace it......get my thinking yet....
i am drive a 91..4.0...30/8.25...on 6 inches and allot of new parts with no mud on them......haha

Damn dude, you are a genius. Hmmm, let me sum this thread up... Replace your worn parts, and magically it will fix itself. Excellent.

:01of5: I voted

I have only one question ...

How did you come to the conclusion you have oversteer ? May I ask what you or your XJ is doing to make it oversteer ? How do you know its not understeer ? Where or when does it perform this alleged oversteer ? Do you think a simple alignment will correct the situation ? Are you sure you had DW ?

Wait, that's more than one question ...

Just one short explanation would be helpful.

littlexj1 said:
and after all that time and money i am proud to say no DW....i still have a little over steer but after an alignment i am sure that will fix itself...

the over/under steer i have is when in a turn the xj wants to turn a little more than i have the wheel turned....i believe this i due to a toe problem...also i have a little excessive play in the wheel but i contribute this to a toe problem to....that didnt due the problem justice but its a little hard to explain what i feel in the wheel.....when i get it inspected i will have them throw it on the rack and align it....thanks for all the concern guys...i think i got the front end wows whipped...that is till i go bounce it off some rocks..and then we start all over again..

Oversteer is a term referring to the rear end of a vehicle having the tendency to step out during cornering, cornering under braking, and especially under throttle.

Example: Take a sweeping left turn through the stop light in a Dodge Viper, mash the accelerator to the floor in first gear, and watch what happens to the ass end of the car. It'll end up pointing in the direction that the front end just was. Try the same manuver in a fwd Honda Civic, and the nose will plow into the curb. That is understeer. It happens when the throttle applied to the front wheels overcomes the wheels abilty to steer in the intended direction.

i just dont get it?...i do every fix that you guys tell me to and say that it worked....and yet i get smashed for it......well thanks for all the great threads on DW anyway......next time i do what you guys reccomend i'll keep it under my hat when it works....haha..

Thank you... fixed it up a bit.

Maybe a "retainer" or ANTI SWAY BAR will help his oversteer... ;)

ArcticXJ said:
Oversteer is a term referring to the rear end of a vehicle having the tendency to step out during cornering, cornering under HARD braking, and especially under HARD throttle.

littlexj1 said:
i just dont get it?...i do every fix that you guys tell me to and say that it worked....and yet i get smashed for it......well thanks for all the great threads on DW anyway......next time i do what you guys reccomend i'll keep it under my hat when it works....haha..

:rattle:

Come on dude, the problem was the title of this thread. I'm glad you fixed your Jeep and all, but come on. What sort of tech info did you really give out? Did you have to start a thread saying you are special because you threw a bunch of parts at you Jeep and accidentally fixed it? Glad we could help out. Welcome to NAXJA. I even gave you good rep for taking it like a man. Untill now anyway.

Back