• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing bump stops

IRPancake

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to install my 2" bb but cannot get the bump stop off to slide the spacer over. I tried grinding in some and prying it, it seems to move, which makes me think its not welded in, but I also cut out the rubber (because it wouldn't come out at all) and don't see any bolt or anything to remove it. I can't get the best grip on it but I dont see it moving. Short of cutting it, how do you get this off?

edit: using bottle jack to press spacer over stop isn't an option, the bottle jack is too tall and no room for the spacer or wood

6e3bd155-34cb-4ba7-8fec-da5bd19fef85_4.jpg

unless its welded, like it is on some MJ's....
i bet you wish you were going thru this drama for a real lift, dontcha?
another reason a BB isnt worth the time...

6e3bd155-34cb-4ba7-8fec-da5bd19fef85_4.jpg

unless its welded, like it is on some MJ's....
i bet you wish you were going thru this drama for a real lift, dontcha?
another reason a BB isnt worth the time...

A pipe wrench is definately the tool for the job.

BB IS worth the time if you do not have the money for an expensive lift. Plus with a more expensive lift there is a lot more work to be done. Many of us use our XJ's for daily driving as well as mild wheelin'. To do a 6" lift with 33's is a bad idea for someone who uses their XJ for freeway etc. Everything has it's place.

The older ones just screw on, and as mentioned a pipe wrench is your best friend.
The newer ones have a bolt running up from the bottom. You need to remove the rubber to access it.
However, you only need to remove the older ones to install spacers, the newer ones don't have the lip that hangs them up. My 89 MJ has the older style, and my 90 XJ had the newer, so I'd guess that's the transition period.
BTW, don't try to remove the rubber on the older ones!
Pharaoh XJ said:
mine is 94 XJ & the bumpstop tower is welded on.
The tower itself is welded, but the bottom section with the rubber is seperate... unless someone welded it for some reason.

2 mj's in the family 90+92, both appear to be welded on, is this the ones w/ a thru bolt you are talking about TRAILREADY? or is there a third style?

I already removed the rubber on the one lol. I ended up just getting pissed and grabbing it like a babboon and got it off. Other side came off like butter in comparison. Other side took 30 mins including drilling new hole for the brake braket

I actually didn't put the bump stops back on, because visually it looked like the distance between the tire and fender and bumpstops looked about the same. Next time I'm at the junkyard I'll pick one up.

and to XCM. This is a real lift for me. Right now the jeep is both my second car and my girlfriends car when she gets a job. I dont want it to be too lifted, but this satisfied her need for a lift. When I get a real job I either plan on getting her another car and lifting this one further, or getting my own and getting a 'real' lift. Right now I'm satisfied with my now slightly more capable offroad jeep, and my on road beast. Been putting mods on her off to get this jeep in good condition

sig-1.jpg

thanks :) Love spending money, dont make enough. Jeep is basically done now though, and is running 100% (for the time being) Jeep has a really nice stance now, might look into an add a leaf (I know its not the best idea) or adding more stock xj leaves to get it up another inch or so in the rear, but not for a while

rear is a little lower than I'd like, but the leaves are basically shot. still looks better, although not drastic (remember a girls going to be driving this :eye:

lift003.jpg

terrible picture showing the lift off but thanks :), its subtle but enough to make a difference, I'm happy. Front sway is at a much better angle and should be really easy to disconnect if I ever decide to take her off road.

Also. I did NOT need spring compressors for this job. I seriously spent 30-60 mins messing with them to try to wiggle the spring in. Its much, MUCH easier to place a bottle jack right behind the shock, angle it against the frame rail, and jack it up, pushes the axle down enough that the spring will come off the bottom perch, and then so the top can be pulled. Then just put the spacer on and jacked it a little further, and went on easy. To do the entire passenger side from jacking it up to putting it back down took 30 mins, and figuring out how to tackle the other side took like 2-3 hours lol.

2 mj's in the family 90+92, both appear to be welded on, is this the ones w/ a thru bolt you are talking about TRAILREADY? or is there a third style?
That could be the "thru bolt" style, I personally haven't seen or heard of a 3rd type.
Looking at extended bumpstops, Daystar lists a large and small diameter rubber insert, but aren't year specific. The RE one appears to be tapered so it has both the large and small ends.
Basically the large one has a pressed in stud, so you can grap the whole thing with a pipe wrench.
The small one uses the bolt, and will only spin if you use the pipe wrench method.
I have seen several that have a kinda "goo" coming out that makes them harder to break loose. Looks like undercoat or something, and is painted over from the factory. This can make it appear that it's welded on ;). IIRC my 90 was this way.

Back