• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rolled my jeep.. now need help rebuilding

I feel your pain man. Went through something similar recently. Just posted it on my "Expedition Build: Yellow XJ" thread. I opted to go for a chop top, and will be posting the progress over the next few days. Check it out so you can get an idea.

I feel your pain man. Went through something similar recently. Just posted it on my "Expedition Build: Yellow XJ" thread. I opted to go for a chop top, and will be posting the progress over the next few days. Check it out so you can get an idea.

yeesh.. I could cut you description and paste it here. I did the same thing -- bad line, innocuous looking hill, slide to the driver side, and hit a rock... all over.

I'll keep reading your post... I'm probably going to try and fix the roof/panels, and cage the interior. But I'm still working through it.

It's done... didn't think it was possible, but the truck looks better than it did before the roll. new roof, new hood, new doors, new front quarters, new paint:

10cvxvk.jpg

21j8569.jpg

2d6l81s.jpg

Here's the "before" picture for reference:

mhfw2c.jpg

Dang Nice! You do the work yourself or take it somewhere?

Wow that looks great must have cost a lot.

Wow that looks great must have cost a lot.

Not as much as you would think, and about what it would have cost me to find a decent new truck and swap all my offroad bits and motor over.

just picked it up today.
Couldn't resist posting some Before, after, and during pics

tUXY1z8.jpg

lZt3UPs.jpg

UouyjZ4.jpg

x6aSOBr.jpg

EHFfZRF.jpg

EVQu8Df.jpg

j4iMTxD.jpg

b3CSJpE.jpg

Last edited:
That's a truly amazing restoration. Well done!

Now try to not roll it again.

Thanks :)Yeah, I definitely need to appreciate the limits of the jeep .. just bought a D&C roll cage, once that's installed, I'll be taking it easy for a while until I get the hang of the higher center of gravity from the lift and tires.

Very cool thread!

Thanks!
Still working through a few gremlins, but everything seems to be back in order. NExt stop, a roll cage, and thinking about lowering it 2"

still working on it.. but almost there.
Roll cage in, painted, and wrapped. new alt, water pump and a few tuning odds and ends in the bay, just some electrical work left, hopefully get out on the trails before the end of the year :)

wcmhy1.jpg

2ql7sjp.jpg

If I ever roll mine to that extent, I'm taking off the top, putting in a cage and making it a dedicated trail rig - even if it never gets to "Buggy" state.

That was my comment in June of 2017. Fast forward to July of 2018.

43215393312_b9a91705cf_c.jpg
[/url]P1030838 by Dirk DeYoung, on Flickr[/IMG]

43215415462_640373cca9_c.jpg
[/url]P1030840 by Dirk DeYoung, on Flickr[/IMG]

Now, I'm in your boat and faced with that decision, I'm not sure what to do. Yours turned out very nice, but I'm not planning that that kind of financial commitment!

Last edited:
Ouch... I feel your pain man. How'd you manage that? looks almost exactly like what I managed to do...

the only reason I decided to fix mine was that aside form the suspension work, I had the 350 in it. The amount of work that took to get in and get in right was worth the $$ to me. Truck spent over five years at my dad's shop getting weekend/evening time to do the swap right. Either I went back with a i6 or fixed what I had.. I really didn't want to lost a motor I had spent so much @#$# time on.

The other good thing about fixing it... if you find a good body guy... you drop it off, wait a month or two, and just pick it up. No lost spots in the garage, no aggravation ever weekend...

but

yes, it probably cost more money in the long run to fix it rather than swap everything over.

If not for the motor-- I would have bought a nice truck and just swapped everything over.

I was at the Cherokee Crawl and was going up a mountain and around a corner at the same time. My back left slipped into a depression deep enough, and with enough force to throw the right front over the top of the truck. I barrel rolled once in the air, coming down initially on the right A pillar and then rolled over 2 more times to come to rest mid-track on the passenger side.

Hope you walked away without any physical issues. Being 6'6" and with my head right on the headliner in these things, I was more than fortunate to walk away with nothing more than strained bicep muscles.

I was at the Cherokee Crawl and was going up a mountain and around a corner at the same time. My back left slipped into a depression deep enough, and with enough force to throw the right front over the top of the truck. I barrel rolled once in the air, coming down initially on the right A pillar and then rolled over 2 more times to come to rest mid-track on the passenger side.

Hope you walked away without any physical issues. Being 6'6" and with my head right on the headliner in these things, I was more than fortunate to walk away with nothing more than strained bicep muscles.

wow..that sounds insane. unbelievable that your Cherokee had so limited damage.

My roll was in slow motion... coming off the exit to an obstacle, should have done a j turn, cut the wheel too tight to the left, terrain was more off-camber than I thought...
scary part was my daughter was in the truck. but both of us walked away without a scratch.

Back