• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric air pump info needed

burntkat

NAXJA Member #1145
Gents (and the occasional lady)-
I am looking for an electric air pump for my son's 97 XJ. He's not running anything crazy like air suspension or air tools, but I'd like to have something that gives at least an option for future hardmount and use to fill a 5 gallon air tank to 100PSI or better for future expansion.

Not looking to run air lockers, so need not be a $300 ARB.

I have done some searching on the web, but the sources don't seem current- one article on fourwheeler.com was written in 2001.

Anyone got some recommendations?

EDIT to clarify- Slime and similar units need not apply, unless they truly are awesome. I've never been impressed with anything of the sort that comes in a plastic caase or includes an integrated basketball filler, light, etc...

Last edited:
CO2 tank is the simplest way. One of the better investments.

Or throw in a York if you want a OBA system.

Viar is also another option.

I have a viair 88p. Works well. I went between that and the mv50. The 88p seemed to have a little better fill times. It does get pretty hot like they say, and the gauge doesn't read right but not too worried about that.

I used to use one of those red compressors from Amazon, not the fastest but it always worked. I have a VIAIR setup in my current XJ and am really happy with it. I'm personally not a fan of the CO2 setups. The tanks take up more room than just a decent compressor and you have a limited amount of air. The compressor might be a bit slower, but it'll fill up a nearly unlimited amount of tires. I used to have an ARB CKMA12 compressor and that thing was impressive. I used it to reset the bead on my 39's, it was a great little compressor. The only reason I don't still have it is because I left it in the Jeep when I sold it.

An MV50 has been in the back of the XJ for over ten years, as a backup to the CO2 tank.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157602104743143/

The air outlet has been tapped for a standard air chuck, so the same hose, used for the CO2, also works with the MV50.
It's an OK compressor but it's not big enough if you seriously air down a lot. That's that the CO2 tank is for.
I recommend for getting a CO2 tank, besides airing tires, it can be used for all sorts of air tools and impacts.

Last edited:
CO2 tank is the simplest way. One of the better investments.

Or throw in a York if you want a OBA system.

Viar is also another option.

"Electric air pump". It's right there in the subject.....

An MV50 has been in the back of the XJ for over ten years, as a backup to the CO2 tank.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157602104743143/

The air outlet has been tapped for a standard air chuck, so the same hose, used for the CO2, also works with the MV50.
It's an OK compressor but it's not big enough if you seriously air down a lot. That's that the CO2 tank is for.
I recommend for getting a CO2 tank, besides airing tires, it can be used for all sorts of air tools and impacts.

Looks like things haven't changed, then. I am running the same compressor in my other rigs. I see the Viar 88p is well-regarded and actually a few bucks cheaper. I think I'll hand off my nodded MV50 to him, perhaps hard mount it in the engine bay (having removed the air box for this purpose) and upgrade myself to the Viar 88p. For roughly the same price, and not having to work on it to make it suit, it's a no-brainer.

(EDIT to add - although, looking at it more closely, the Viair has the integrated LED, and a built-in air hose. Neither of which I want/need, and the hose could work against my needs in terms of mods. Think I am right back to the MV50, as it's a proven commodity by myself and folks that use theirs harder than I do.)

I have CO2 in my 90 XJ and my 89 S10. I don't want to go that route for his vehicle just yet, due to apace constraints. He's a musician and looking into learning to weld as a profession, so will need as much cargo room as he can manage.

Last edited:
Having gone from a viair to a York, York 210 OBA is hands down the best compressor, albeit not electric. I run one with a 7 gallon tank and it is awesome. I can fill up a 35 from 10-25 psi in about 45 seconds

Having gone from a viair to a York, York 210 OBA is hands down the best compressor, albeit not electric. I run one with a 7 gallon tank and it is awesome. I can fill up a 35 from 10-25 psi in about 45 seconds

I'm sure it is awesome. Is it electric? No? Well then why are we mentioning it?

My VIAIAR OBA is the constant duty kit recommended for up to 37” tires. It comes with a 450C model compressor. I think the ARB CMKA12 filled my tires faster, and obviously took up less room. I think if I were doing it again I’d go with the little ARB compressor.

... and, I may have answered my own question here-

Think this is the one we used to modify back in the early 00's by removing the head nd tapping it to use a proper air chuck:
https://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV50-SuperFlow-12-Volt-Compressor/dp/B000BM8RT8

Anyone got input on this unit, or better recommendations?

Looks just like the masterflow tsunami I picked up at pepboys awhile back. May not be the best but it does what I need. Don't know if it will hit the 100psi mark but it works well

I'm sure it is awesome. Is it electric? No? Well then why are we mentioning it?

Sorry for mentioning something I thought was worth mentioning based on my experience with both. I will no longer try and be helpful as it seems you are not open to suggestions and already made up your mind in your first post and just want that decision confirmed.

I mean, my suggestion only meets all of the demands based on 100psi, 5gal tank, and future expansion of the system.

But proceed being sarcastic in your responses.

Oh, if it’s electric compressor suggestions or GTFO, then spend the money and get a proven name such as Viair and be done.

I mean, my suggestion only meets all of the demands based on 100psi, 5gal tank, and future expansion of the system. .

Actually, no your suggestion didn't fit the bill. The very first qualifier was 'electric'. Further, I noted that I am not building an extreme rig here. Engine powered OBA is much closer to that than what I asked about.

Sorry you have issues with reading comprehension.

The one thing that I personally would look for is a 100% duty cycle. Yes, I know that narrows the field quite a bit.
I have both a Quick Air 2 compressor and CO2. The biggest problem I have with the compressor is elevation above sea level. CFM ratings are great and all that if there is available air to compress.

Great points there, Bent. Luckily I don't have to deal with them at present, as I live in the SC Lowcountry. But if that changes, certainly I want a higher quality compressor with more usable runtime.

Back