• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project CRD MJ is born:

BonesBrosChris said:
Damn you Sam, I'm right in the middle of a move and a house resto job and you get to do the fun stuff. I've been gathering parts for a bit now but you are leaps ahead of me. I sourced the Diesel XJ information panel from a place in Australia for cheap. Anyhoo, good luck and take good notes and pics because I'm going to be bothering you on it in a few months.
-Chris

Ya, its a small part so it should be pretty cheap.

My CRD swap was going to be into an XJ when I was bidding on wrecked KJs, but when I found this engine I decided to go in a MJ because of the manual.

What engine will you be going with?

So the last bit of engine management stuff I need is an APPS. There is a diesel XJ that I could get the APPS out of, as you can see in the wiring diagram below they only differ by a single pin(which could be moved), the real concern is if the APPS returns the same voltage between the two.
(an Accelerator Pedal Postion Sensor is basically just a big POT=Potentiometer)

Now I could use a 05+ CRD POT, which indecently is shared by newer toyotas, but it would take a good deal more work to ensure I got the right voltage out of the pot.

So for reference:
XJ_KJ_APPS.png

So even if the XJ APPS does not return the same voltage a variable resistor connected inline could allow me to play around with it so that I got my throttle input right.

Well the tow truck arrived today with the MJ, battery was dead so I had to push it up into the driveway.

Put the battery charger on it and after a few hours it cranked enough for it to catch and startup.

Had the battery charger on all day untill about 6:30, took the charger off, started it once, then shut it off. An hour later I came back and it turned over once or twice and then just clicked.

Ran down to sams club and got a new battery, dropped it in and it fired right up. Moved it back and forth a little bit before backing it out of the driveway and going for a quick spin in my culdesac. Drives just fine, brakes feel a little soft.

Oil on the dipstick looks about 2 quarts overfilled(way overfilled), right now after it runs for a little bit oil just spits out from around the valve cover. I will drain some oil, degrease engine, and then take a look at things.

I saw no evidence of coolant leak when I drove it. Who knows.

MJ14.jpg

MJ15.jpg

MJ16.jpg

MJ17.jpg

MJ18.jpg

MJ19.jpg

MJ20.jpg

MJ21.jpg

MJ22.jpg

Oh ya, and the parking brake doesn't work. Also, it was a trip not to find it next to the center console, I wasn't expecting that.

I didnt know vehicles uses serpentine belts back then? Well that must be just chevy trucks. oh well.

derrickdrew17 said:
I didnt know vehicles uses serpentine belts back then? Well that must be just chevy trucks. oh well.

86 would be the first serp setup on the 2.5L, but yeah...

to the OP, where is the parking brake at? Are you just used to it being behind the mini console? I forgot where it's at on the Comanche's...

as an aside, does anyone know how a comanche would have gotten a column shifter? I know someone who has one, and always thought that was just for fleet/government XJ's?

What are the CRD's dimensions compared to the 2.5? I'm sure it's not too much different, definately heavier though. No worries if you can't get them, it would just be cool to know!

Mr_Random said:
86 would be the first serp setup on the 2.5L, but yeah...

to the OP, where is the parking brake at? Are you just used to it being behind the mini console? I forgot where it's at on the Comanche's...

as an aside, does anyone know how a comanche would have gotten a column shifter? I know someone who has one, and always thought that was just for fleet/government XJ's?

What are the CRD's dimensions compared to the 2.5? I'm sure it's not too much different, definately heavier though. No worries if you can't get them, it would just be cool to know!

The parking brake pedal is on the drivers side kick panel, just like 95% of pick-up trucks. Its actually a GM assembly that is used.

All auto Comanche's got column shift.. With the floor design and the way the bench seat is in there, a XJ style floor shifter wouldn't fit..

w_howey said:
The parking brake pedal is on the drivers side kick panel, just like 95% of pick-up trucks. Its actually a GM assembly that is used.

All auto Comanche's got column shift.. With the floor design and the way the bench seat is in there, a XJ style floor shifter wouldn't fit..

I have an MJ with bucket seats and an floor mounted auto shifter, but it started life with a manual tranny and the bench seat. The seats came from an MJ that I could have sworn had a floor mounted auto shifter. It's been a while, so I could be wrong. I don't recall seeing an MJ with a column shifter at all.

w_howey said:

Yes, parking brake on the drivers foot well. I was pushing the vehicle up my driveway and got to a point where I could push no more, so I jumped in to set the brake before it rolled back, only to find it wasn't there.

Course, then I found out it doesn't work.....grrr

Oh well, all that stuff is getting gutted.

w_howey said:

My '92 MJ has a floor shifter, and is identical to my '94 XJ. It's an auto, but it has bucket instead of bench seats. Maybe that's the difference.

Rob

Some more parts arrived from our 2500 group purchase, I look forward to getting them on the jeep:
Hehehe......return home from my early class, looky whats here at the door:
MJ24.jpg

Now lets get her inside and open her up!
MJ25.jpg

MJ26.jpg

MJ27.jpg

MJ28.jpg

MJ29.jpg

MJ30.jpg

MJ31.jpg

Ohhhhh purdy:
MJ32.jpg

MJ33.jpg

MJ34.jpg

MJ35.jpg

MJ36.jpg

As you can see its just a normal H3 bulb. I'm thinking H4 Xenons for the headlights, and H3 Xenons for the low beams........hehehehe
MJ37.jpg

Well those taillight even fit a MJ? I thought you could not interchange XJ and MJ taillights? The Beijing ones are a bit shorter than the XJ ones so maybe you will be lucky?

I m not a big fan of these tail lights reminds me of the KJ, but i think they would look really nice if you blacked out just the square part and left the round part

Back