• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Over heat, crappy radiator

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
So this is likely all on me, I have a 1995 4.0 L AW4 auto Jeep, no real mods other than lifted 3" ish inches and 33" tires.

The radiator that was in the Jeep (replaced by Previous Owner) was a fairly nice looking radiator, all metal and heavy duty looking. It got a hole in the core and efforts to repair it did not work.

In 2015 I replaced the radiator with a Spectra Premium CU1193 which now after further research is a single row. My old radiator was likely a double.

Well never had a problems with overheating to the point of boil over until this year and some of the drives going up the Canyon pushed it over the second white line. Thinking the fan clutch could be going out as that is often It I replaced it with the Grand Cherokee HD one.

Just today Jeep had a similar over heat issue and think that It has to come down to the crappy radiator.

So looking for a 2 row, or a better radiator. The reason I went with the one I got (the Spectra) was I needed one quick, a hole in it is a little harder to work with than one that just does not have enough capacity to cool.

also was trying to be some what budget conscious and with minimal mods to over push the jeep I would have though road driving a "standard" radiator would have been more than enough. Guess not.

So Recommendations? What is the best 2 row radiator to use (or any row radiator that can handle the heat of the 4.0L in 110F weather) when still using the stock cooling fans.

Thanks! :wave:

Looks like the CSF 2671 3 row looks like it has good reviews and performance. minor fitment issues if you are aware of before install is easy to work with. I am running the Grand Cherokee HD fan (picked up from NAPA) but also have the MORE motor mounts so under throttle and load the engine does not really move much at all.

I bought an all metal CSF two row...from RadiatorBarn...it took a dump on me within 3 years (at MAYBE about 5K a year). I was experiencing recurring hot running problems...basically replaced the whole cooling system, except the radiator and it was still running hot

I finally replaced the radiator with a Spectra, OEM, plastic tank $110 radiator from AutoZone. I haven't gotten hot since, after 12K miles, not once. At that price I can afford to replace it as a matter of maintenance every 2-3 yrs.

I would not buy another CSF...JMO !

Well I know some of the reports of failure was with running Dex-Cool coolant and ate the solder out. Right now I have the Spectra radiator and have ran hot in the summer ever since. I should have written down the model # and make of the one I pulled.

I don't have an issue with it failing because its braking, I am finding that it just cant cool the motor. But I have also heard that a clogged A/C condenser causing heating problems.

RadiatorBarn looks to be nonexistent now, another site has taken it over. I am getting it off Amazon $230. Once you add $30-$40 in coolant and then the hour or two of Labor, if it last a few years that's fine. But again my issue is not the radiator leaking or blowing out I need something that can cool..

Try OEM from Mopar. Many have had issues with cooling and spent the money for OEM Mopar and problems solved. Get a Mopar Thermostat and Fan clutch as well.

That spectra radiator gets a ton of good reviews on Amazon -- with normal daily driving I really doubt it's your radiator -- unless it's clogged/not working properly

When is the last time you've flushed your cooling system? Any junk?

Does the 95 have the Efan? Does yours work? Checked it lately?

How about your thermostat -- How old? does it open, can you tell when it does?

Point is, Be sure your entire cooling system checks out -- You may be really disappointed when you spend $300 on a new radiator and nothing changes

Went through 3-4 different radiators until this one. It was the only one that kept my stroker cool under all conditions.

https://ffdynamics.com/products/jeep-cherokee-aluminum-radiator

LpcP0Sj.jpg

Last edited:
I have good luck with the CSF 3 row, brass all metal radiators. They are supper tight clearance fit if you use the ZJ fan clutch, and clearance varies with the clutch brand, some will not fit, others do. The stock clutch clears fine.

I have 2 that are doing fine after 9 years on 30 year old XJs.

No radiator is good enough if there is an excess (beyond the OEM design) heat or other cooling system part fault.

I have yet to hear a negative comment on the Factory Mopar radiator, new.

The good reviews is why I got the radiator.

Fluid is clean and green. I do Flushes about once a year doing the week long style of cleaners and flushes. Got a new Prestone brand that is also a degreaser. Going to use that when I swap radiators. Have done so many flushes as trying to figure out why it's overheating and getting warm.

Had no problems with the old radiator with the leak in it. Water pump was replaced just a few years ago. When I got the spectra radiator I got a new cap also. I have tried swaping out the thermostat a few times and no changes. In the Temps.

Again no problems until after going to the spectra radiator.

Yes stock electric fan, motor went out about 5 years ago and replaced it. Fan works well and blows well. Fan spins freely and bearings still feel good.

I will be getting the radiator on Tuesday and will send how it fits. I have the stock clutch still so if it's does not have enough clearance with the ZJ HD clutch then I can swap it back.

Is there any issue running the zip ties through the radiator for the external trans cooler?

Does anyone have the part number for the Mopar radiator?
I see a couple of part numbers
Mopar 5208 0104AC & Mopar 5207 9682AF
What's the difference between the 2 ?

Best I can tell from my '00 parts catalog is both are for automatics. The first one is "For Max Cooling". Second one is for "Without Max Cooling". Guessing again maybe the max cooling one is the tow package radiator.

52080 104AC 1 J, T ER0 DG0 With Max Cooling
52079 682AE 1 J, T ER0 DG0 Without Max Cooling

J=LHD (4WD)
ER0=4.0L Power Tech I-6
DG0=All Auto/Trans.

Even though the letters are different they are usually the same part and the letters are more a year designation.

52079682AF is the factory radiator.

Neither the factory radiator nor the Spectra CU1193 should cause overheating.

If you are overheating with either, you are doing something extreme, or something else is wrong with the cooling system/engine.

52079682AF is the factory radiator.

Neither the factory radiator nor the Spectra CU1193 should cause overheating.

If you are overheating with either, you are doing something extreme, or something else is wrong with the cooling system/engine.
This. I have a spectra rad in my XJ, and maybe in my MJ?
Zero issues, since cooling system is up to par.

My MJ doesn't have an e-fan, yet. Factory non-AC heeps did not come with aux fan. Also is manual trans. Stays cool, even on the hottest days.

Consider flushing your system, making sure your tstat is working properly, proper coolant mix and maybe run some water wetter.
I always do, and it seems to help.

I agree that something else must be up. Either the system has a leak that is preventing proper pressurization (allowing coolant to boil), or there is air in the system.

I agree that something else must be up. Either the system has a leak that is preventing proper pressurization (allowing coolant to boil), or there is air in the system.

Air is not a problem if is in the top of the radiator, or coolant pressure bottle (if it has one). Renix jeeps *7-90), and most of today's rigs operated at about 7 psi/212 F, at sea level, with air in the top of a pressure coolant bottle. The air lowers the operating pressure on purpose!!!

If the head gasket is letting combustion gas into the coolant, that IS a problem!!!

Magus,
Pardon my silly question, but I don't see this mentioned or asked... Do you know that the auxilliary (electric) cooling fan is coming 'on' when the Temp gets up to about 200-210-deg?

Conrad

Magus,
Pardon my silly question, but I don't this mentioned or asked... Do you know that your auxilliary (electric) cooling fan is coming on at about 200-210-deg ?

Conrad
(Sorry about the duplicate. I can't figure out how to Delete it.)

Last edited:
Magus,
Pardon my silly question, but I don't see this mentioned or asked... Do you know that the auxilliary (electric) cooling fan is coming 'on' when the Temp gets up to about 200-210-deg?

Conrad

Auxiliary cooling fans on the XJ do not come on at 210 degrees or lower. 210 is about the normal operating temperature on most XJ's with the suggested 195 degree thermostat installed. They usually come on at about 220 degrees for most XJ's while some including myself have observed it coming on as late as 230.

Back