• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission lines completely replaced.

NZjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have just replaced the complete trans cooling lines, from radiator to auto.Starting from the radiator I cut off 1 inch of pipe leaving a straight piece of pipe to connect to.I then fitted 2 brass three eight compression fittings and a tail to connect the rubber hose to and fitted the hose using a ear clamp ; some would use a screw clamp. The rubber pipes were then clipped where ever you wish ; I went up above the engine mount then back to the auto.I then undid the 2 bolts which connect the oil lines to the auto and replaced them with brass fittings; they were metric thread into the auto to BSP part number A 22650414 and fitted them to the auto with an o ring to suit.On the rear connection I used a T 34004504 quarter inch 45degree bend then onto a fitting part number T2010604 then onto part number T2090604 a hose tail and simply clamped the hose to this fitting with a ear clamp.The front hose was just the same with out the 45 degree bend.Very simple and does away with all the leaky fittings .I have done the above modification for to reasons,!1/ the suspension smashed the lines once and 2/ the fittings came apart and squirted oil onto the exhaust and I was going up in flames.Both pissed me off so much that I did the above modification.I hope this is of some use to somebody.Cheers.

you'd think factory bumbstops would keep the front axle out of the engine compartment, but guess not :)

You are dead right,but I didn't know the bump stop was kaput and it trashed the oil line in the forest and it couldn't have been a worse time.Repaired the leaky pipe only to find it was doing the same thing again and it wasnt until the second time that I noticed the bump stop stuffed.The oil fittings also pumped oil onto the exhaust and fire resulted and finished off my summer holidays 4x4 wheeling ; this is why I am rerouting both lines so it dosent ever happen again no matter what and yes I have replaced the bump stops like I should have in the first place.When there is a fault I suppose one should look for the cause.
Thanks for your coment.

First sorry to hear about the problems. Its pretty common if the suspension is overcompressed (seen on rentals that were aired out). The right upper arm clips the lines and oil pan.

I just just cut off the factory crimped clamps to replaced the rubber hose sections with new transmission cooler hose along with 2 fuel injection clamps at each end. Been good ever since.

Mike R

Back