• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird, heat related tranny issue. 01 XJ Limited

ghettocruiser

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone. Got a question that Ive been trying to find info about for about a week now. Ive searched and searched and just keep getting the same threads.

Here is what my newly aquired Xj is doing... Before I start, I havent touched it yet. I havent done a trans fluid change, or anything because the dealer told me all the fluids are fresh on all their cars. I know...its a dealer, but I did check the fluid and it looked nice, smelled nice, and seemed to be at the correct level (idling in N)

After the Jeep gets hot, and the tranny gets hot, if has a weird feeling when coming to a complete stop. What happens is, when coming to a stop, JUST before the jeep comes to a complete holt, I get this little lurch, or bump or something. Its hard to describe. Seems to only do it after I accelerate for a bit, then need to stop...not if I drift forward after stopped and brake again.

Then, SOMETIMES when I go, it will sort of lurch or bump doing take off. That happens pretty rarely though. Seems to be dependant on if im on a hill or stopped at a weird angle.

Ive read about people having somewhat similar issues, but they all seem to be different, or way more severe.

Things that I thought of was fluid, T.P.S., or torque converter. I plan to change the fluid and filter regardless of what the dealer said...as soon as I figure out which fluid to use... all the threads on that issue seem to be contradicting.

Any thoughts on this at all? As it seems to be heat related, I want to say its a fluid/trans interal issue. Solenoids getting weird at temp maybe???

As the title says its an 01 Limited, with about 87k on the clock. Well maintained and it runs and shifts great.

J.

Transmission mount...

Oh, and just use Dexron III. if you look on the drain plug of your trans pan, it says DIIe - Dexron IIe which was replaced by DexIII

some people have had success with ATF+4 and other fluids (myself, i use Amsoil TorqueDrive and i have no problems). to be safe, just use Dex III

Last edited:
Ooops... forgot to mention that I thought about tranny mount as well. I havent checked it yet, its on my list. The only thing is... would that only show up when its hot? Or does the heat from the tranny cause the mount to loosen up a bit?

Ive had trans mounts go bad before...dont think my 94 ever had one. But my 87 Trans AM did. And that was VERY noticable all the time. Felt like the driveline was gonna fall out. I guess the XJ mount could be STARTING to fail... Ill def. check it though guys!

Thanks for the feedback.

J.

Do you have the limited slip rear end, my 96 has done that from day one.
I've also seen something simililiar in the Chrysler rear, the collapsible bushing gets loose and the pinion bearings loosen up. Check for seepage at the rear pinion seal, give the pinion yoke a slap on the side a few times and see if there happens to be any movement. If you catch it early it's really no biggy to fix.

Ill definetly check out the pinion situation. I did check it when I first looked at the jeep. Everything was dry, and everything felt tight.

I dont think...in fact im almost positive its not posi as Ive peg legged it a couple times already. Especially when its raining.

Ill add checking the pinion shaft real good to my list of "checks" for later. Thanks for the suggestion!

J.

This might sound kind of stupid but if you have the AC or Defrost on the AC compressor will cycle on and when that happens the computer will raise the idle to compensate for the exra load of the AC compressor. On my 2000 sometimes it causes the Jeep to lurch a little because it might raise the idle 100 RPM more than it needs to. Check to see if it still does it with the Defrost or A/C off and on.

Update... Jeep is still doing it. Its still heat related.

I was under the jeep yesterday and the trans mount seemed ok. Im able to move it around alittle, but its no different than my 94 or my buddies 02 TJ. Just alittle jiggle in the rubber.

I changed the filter, and I put in new Dexron III. Now...I planned to unhook the pressure line and "flush" the fluid out. But I couldnt for the life of me get that quick disconnect fitting off. So I did a drain/refill 3 times in a row. Fluid still seems dark. So Im going to give the line another go. If I cant get it, Im cutting it the heck off, and using rubber trans cooler line in its place. What good is the quick disconnect anyway if it doesnt quickly disconnect? I was using the right tools too....

SO.... After some more testing I found something else out. If I come to a normal stop, once fully warmed up, it will lurch or "bump". When I take off, it acts normal. Feels fine. Now...if I creep up to a stop. Like slow way down very gradually, then stop, it wont do it, but as soon as I take off, it will lurch. Sort of like a very low stall converter.

Im at a loss. Im going to try to replace all the fluid or atleast as much as possible, and hope for the best. Im also going to double check all my mounts and hangers and what not. And check the bolts to the torque converter.

Other than that, I dont know. Maybe have the dealer take a look at it. Its too annoying to ignore.

J.

its the trans not slipping into its 'neutral' state when RPM's drop.

Happens to AW4's, change the fluid, give it a good run, then change it again, should help it, if not, then yo may be heading to the jy to source up another tranny. Its not a horrible thing, just a little annoying.

Yeah Im hoping once I get the fluid clean and new that it will clear itself up. I really dont feel like having to replace or rebuild the trans. I just got it. haha.

Im not sure about the "trans going to neutral when the RPMs are dropped". It doesnt feel weird otherwise. Shifts while driving are great. If I dont come to a complete stop, I never feel it. Its gotta be a complete stop. Its just weird.

J.

Listen very carefully and do the following:

GREASE THE REAR SLIPYOKE

It takes 10 minutes and causes weird thumping and bumping while stopping and starting. Just undo the rear u-joint straps and yank the driveshaft out. You may need to remove a clamp from the rubber bellows that seal the yoke. Take your favorite grease of choice and lube up the splines very well. If anyone has a cherokee 96+ with more then 50k you should do this TODAY.

I will most definetly take your advice and give it a try. Im willing to try anything within reason.

What makes it do it on the 96+ jeeps?? No other jeep has done it. Including my GF's 2000. And I still cant wrap my mind around why it only does it while hot. But...Ive seen stranger things too.

Its getting an SYE with my budget boost...so if its a re-occuring thing, it wont be for long. haha.

Ill try it man...thanks for the suggestion.

J.

If it feels at all like there is a bowling ball in the trunk rolling around, it is the slip yoke. If it makes a clanking noise going from FWD to reverse, it is the slip yoke. Most people don't even realize it is happing, until they grease it and it goes away.

This might sound dumb but one time my 89 was making a similar noise and I shifted it into and out of 4wd on the t-case and it went away. For some reason it hadn't shifted properly.

Nah...this noise isnt near as bad as something rolling around in the back. Im hesitant to think its the slip yoke...but like I said, Ill give it a try.

When it does it while coming to a stop, it just feels like the jeep is giving one last lurch...or like its waiting til near stop to shift into first or out of first to Neutral status. When it does it while taking off, it feels like a stall converter. It doesnt really rev much...but it does alittle then will sort of clunk and then accelerate smoothly. Everything is fine from there on out. It clunks hard enough to rattle change in the cup holders.

And like I said...it doesnt do it both coming to a stop and when starting during the same occasion. Did that make sense? In other words, if it does it when i stop, it wont do it during accel. If it doesnt do it during a stop, it will do it during accel.

Im hopefully going to be able to try the poor mans trans flush tonight. If its not 9 degrees again. And while Im at it, Im gonna shake, push, pull, smack everything I can under the jeep to check for loose parts. Ill grease the slip yoke for the heck of it. And Im going to try to check the flywheel and torque converter bolts. Cant remember if there is an inspection cover that is easy to get to or not....

Ill keep you guys posted on any luck I have. If my fingers dont freeze off and I can still type that is.

J.

UPDATE

Well...did a lot of work last night. I flushed the trans fluid, and I also checked over everything I could under the jeep.

First, I must have misread info on here, on which trans cooler line was going to have pressure coming out of it. All I know is, its a good thing that I started it for a second and shut it down to check. Because I had the hose hooked up to the wrong line. So...fluid went everywhere.

I couldnt get the quick disconnect apart. So I got ticked, and just cut the line. Figured Ide just splice in rubber line. I didnt flare the line...due to not having the right dies for my flare tool. Must have forgot them at home. If it leaks, Ill redo it.

So, I swapped the hose over to the correct side of the line and started flushing. It worked surprisingly well. I first drained the pain, and refilled with fresh fluid. I used a 1 gallon windsheild washer jug, marked off in 1qt. incriments to catch the fluid. So I knew exactly how much came out, and went in. I ran it until 2 quarts were in the jug. I then shut it off, and added 2 quarts. Rinse and repeat... Overall I put about 11-12 quarts through the trans. Should have gotten the old fluid and trans tune out. I also ran it through the gears on a few of the flush sequences. The fluid was a nice dark red when I was finished. And it was a relatively clean, easy job. Ill do it that way again for sure. I should also mention, I poured half a can of SeaFoam trans tune in...and ran it for about 15 miles prior to doing all this.

Well, on the drive home, of course I was listening for every noise...and didnt really hear anything or feel anything that alarmed me. The important news is...I drove all the way home last night, got gas, and all the way to work this morning, with no clunks that I could notice. Sooooo... maybe I got it.

Hopefully all of your advice on using Dex.III is good info, and I didnt just get my trans an early death. haha.

Well...Ill report back after some more driving just to confirm that its fixed. Got other work done too last night. Installed my mopar cruise control kit. Found out that my jeep has autostart installed somewhere... Not sure whats up with that. Fired up unannounced on me last night. Scared the crap out of me. Also installed new headlights. So...I have a few little bugs to worry about along with hoping the trans is fixed. We shall see!!

J.

Nevermind... Its clunking again. Not quite as bad, and not quite as frequent though... ??

Im convinced that there is either an issue with the trans physically, or that its something in the TCU or electronics. Im going to get it scanned...and if that doesnt show anything, i guess Ill live with it until it dies.

J.

Yup. Its definetly not the slip yoke... I wish I could convey the feeling over the internet. Its not a clank or metal to metal sound. It really feels like its the trans mount. But whenever I look at it, it seems fine. Maybe its gotta get really hot from the trans heat before it starts to let things move around...?? I was thinking about replacing it just for the heck of it... But the local parts houses dont even list one for the 00 or 01... I thought they were the same, but I guess they arent.

Im still going to have it scanned... Hopefully it is something that the TCU recognizes or a DTC that isnt setting a check engine light. That'd be sweet.

J.

Back