• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine? Time to Rebuild

KJR93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 93 XJ 4.0 is fadding and last leg, looking to put a junkyard motor with low miles. Do you all think it is possible to pull and install new one in a weekend and any thing I should do while I have it out, already replaced clutch.

Also years on compatible motors, so fare looks like most will work. I have my eyes on a 99, but I figure I will have to use a lot of the old electronics and top end.

thanks for any impute

Any '92+ 4.0 long block engine will do for a swap, but it'll be easier if it's a '92-'95 because the cylinder head will have a port for the coolant temp. gauge sending unit. The '91 and earlier 4.0 crankshafts have a slightly bigger pilot bearing hole so you'd need a different pilot bearing.
Use all your existing '93 ancillaries, wiring harness, and electronics.

auto/ manual will not matter so long as you put the flywheell/flex plate from your original motor on the new one. I would not go pre 92 as the harness is a little different and the motors are not HO motors. (different head) post 95 is a slightly different design on some parts, but should work just fine with your harness. As far as doing it in one weekend it should not be a problem so long as you heav the know how or the help of someone who knows how. i would put a new oil pump as well as a new rear main seal. I pulled mine out of my wercked 92 on a friday and had it rebuilt and in my 94 by sunday night. It just depends on how much time you have and how much money you have spent on tools. Also order all the parts you plan on replacing a week or so in advance as you will probly get the wrong part atleast once.
Karl

Karl said:
oh... also the 96 and up blocks are obd2 95 and down are obd1

The blocks dont care about obd1 or 2 thats the computer configuration for the emission and electronics controls...
themud
If memory serves the blocks from the 232s and 258s are the same as the 242s...

Back